Rocky Trials Club 2 day trial 24 25 Nov 2012

News & last-minute updates for trials events. Need directions? Ask in here.

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Rocky Trials Club 2 day trial 24 25 Nov 2012

Postby David Lahey » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Trial report and results for RTC Inc Trial and end-of-year party at Seeonee Park, 24/25 November 2012
We were very lucky to have such mild weather for the final trial of the year, because summer conditions hit with a vengeance soon afterwards.
The ride
It was great to see so many riders from the Townsville and Mackay areas came along for this ride.
A big thankyou is due to the members who put in so much time and effort preparing for this event, especially the clearing of the tracks through the thick creek-side grass so we could access the area.
The six ABC sections were pleasantly long, multi-line, very interesting and cleverly set. It was also great to have access to that part of the creek downstream of the weir with plenty of water still around to make things slippery and challenging. The A grade line in section 5 appeared to be the most challenging for that grade. I didn’t see anyone ride it without dramas of some sort. I just now looked at the score cards and saw a lot of threes and fives on that section (and one zero).
The B line was certainly cleanable on every section but that does not mean clean laps were easy to achieve. I thought the B line overall was absolutely wonderful to ride – very enjoyable. The amount of discussion between B line riders about how to ride section 6 was amazing. There were so many different ways you could ride it, and the sea of little rolling rocks just kept moving around all weekend!
I didn’t see many riders in action on the C line, but the scores seem to be saying that the points-grabbing ability of the sections was pretty close to the mark.
The five Junior-only sections were also very well set and had enough challenging bits to keep the three riders thinking. With the riding being spread over the two sessions, I was fortunately able to act as Darcy’s minder/scorer and greatly enjoyed seeing him and Brooke riding.
Some riders moved up a grade in preparation for next year. Glenn and Riley Hunt and Tim Evans all moved to C Grade. Glenn and Hunter Pincham and Andrew McDonald moved to B Grade. Brooke Stone and Patrick Lynam rode their first trial. I was very impressed to see Brooke continue on riding after a couple of offs. Also impressive was young Patrick riding that Honda TL250 (the heaviest twinshock trials bike ever made).
The non-competition section (THE HILLCLIMB) was very popular on the Saturday evening, with countless riders achieving their week’s cardiovascular exercise on this very long climb. I know each time I rode it, by the top I couldn’t speak and could barely even hold onto the bike for the last few metres. I would say that an un-named young female GasGas rider deserves the best crash award for when she eventually made the top, her hands were cramped onto the bars and couldn’t close the throttle. Luckily she was gently falling off the back of the bike as she crested the last steep section, so the bike was pulled from her grip. She got lots of applause from the spectators at the top for such a determined effort (and for the entertainment value). Don’t worry Jessica we won’t say who it was.
For the “number” oriented people, the hillclimb was 200 metres long and climbed 75 metres in altitude. The surface was crumbly soil with small round stones throughout. The only non-trials bike attending was a modern KTM enduro bike which was not able to get up even half-way despite the efforts of two experienced riders and multiple attempts. Another crazy ride was David Lahey on Darcy’s small-wheel TY80. It was definitely more of a push than a ride. Thankyou John Sophios for lifting the TY80 off me at the top and also thanks to Bill Tsiakas for the simulated CPR . Also an apology for the TY80 being in the way when Ray Aiken went backwards about halfway up. The TY80 was a good chock though hey Ray. The “highest speed” hillclimb award was easy to judge with Don Jones zooming up the whole way in the meaty part of the powerband in 4th gear on his Scorpa SY250. At the other end of the speed scale was my 1968 Bultaco which would not quite pull third gear, so each ascent on it was a slow grind in second gear.
Another big thankyou to the people who cleared the wide swathe up the side of tower hill so we could enjoy the hillclimb section as a multi-line ascent.
Thankyou also to event sponsor, Harbour City Motorcycles, of Gladstone, who donated a $50 store voucher, Harbour City Motorcycles polo shirts and merchandise from the shop.
The party
The end-of-year party Saturday night was terrific with the catered roast dinner going down very well.
The annual roasting of riders by Drew included lots of embarrassing awards.
Paul was awarded a giant-sized section marker for missing the same arrow more than once, despite realising it the first time. For the award, Drew also fitted a GPS navigation device to the fuel tank of Paul’s Montesa.
Nikki copped it for riding with a dolphin torch battery attached to her handlebars to keep the fan going.
Sarah won an award for suffering a cut lip courtesy of crashing her Scorpa. The award included Drew fitting a working (low speed) airbag and rollover protection to her bike.
Thankfully for the first time a woman won the wobbly boot award, taking the pressure off Don and David – thankyou Jessica.
Justin was awarded with a special scuba system for deep-water riding (deep-water crashing).
David received a congratulatory card and some royally-endorsed shortbread from Her Majesty the Queen of England for his continued enjoyment of his “Majesty”. As David says “I always get tremendous pleasure riding Her my Majesty”.
Angela M was awarded with a framed photograph of world trials champion Tony Bou wearing a G string for her ponderings at the World Trials Championships while she tried to work out what Tony wore under his riding suit.
Neil won the animal protection award for crashing and writing-off his multi-megabuck Ducati road bike, to avoid hitting a wallaby. One of the prizes was an animated laughing kangaroo that kept bursting into laughter at random times for the rest of the awards. Drew also had a “pyrotechnic” display incorporating a model of Neil’s crashed Ducati
The winners for the club trials 2012 aggregate points scoring system:
Novice Junior - Riley Hunt
C Grade - Glenn Pincham
B Grade - Paul Lynam
B Grade Twinshock – Mark Casswell
A Grade - Don Jones
Outright Club Champion - Glenn Pincham

The results for the trial
Angela S counted 47 riders in total at the start – but some riders names don’t appear in these results. I suspect they rode non-competitive and didn’t hand in a card (I use the score cards to write these results)
Novice/Junior
Patrick Lynam 0 (Honda TL250), Darcy Lahey 4 (Gas Gas 50), Brooke Stone 46 (Suzuki JR50)
C Grade
Tim Evans 11 (KT250), Riley Hunt 16, Steve Paton 22, Dylan Allen 40, Noel van Hallie 70, Glen Hunt 85, Mick Casey DNF after 2 laps
B Grade
Tim Stone 19, Brent Chivers 26, Chris Harrington 29, Todd Mathieson 30, Andrew Lynam 33, Jessica Chivers 36, Nicole Casey 40, Sarah Chivers 46, Glenn Pincham 52, Hunter Pincham 52, Andrew McDonald 59, Peter Smith 61, Bill Tsiakas 68, Brodie Mathieson 69, Graeme Prowse NC, Ray Aiken NC, Peter Smith NC
B Grade Twinshock
Peter Casey 19 (TY175), David Lahey 23 (KT250/M49 Bultaco), Paul Lynam 43 (Cota 247), Mark Casswell 47 (SWM TL320)
A Grade
David Bassingsthwaite 40, Justin Lynam 41, James Finch 41, Neil McLucas 44, Don Jones 45, Drew Wickerson 48, Barry Caird 48, Simon Fowler 56, John Sophios 73, Matt Charles 80
David Lahey 9 December 2012

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Event news”