wheel hops

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

jack

wheel hops

Postby jack » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:57 pm

ok guys i need some help, ive been attempting to do wheel hops for a while now and i still cant do them, i wanted to know if there are any magical tips that will make them easier, ive read through the manuals on the site but unfortunately they dont seem to make it any easier for me.
any help here would be tops :D

Robbymac
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Robbymac » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:04 am

I read in another thread about finger cramps and arm pump, that where your handle bars are set up (forward, backward)determines alot about how easy it is to get the wheels in the air.and weather you get a cramp or not.. just a thought

call that a rock. I'll show you a rock.

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:43 pm

Front wheel, rear wheel or both?

I can do the front wheel now and was starting to get both wheels before my bike broke.

First thing you need to do is be able to balance properly, can you do this?
I found it easiest to look at a point infront at about eye level with the bars turned.

Once you can balance it's all about timing. Use your knees to compress the suspension and make sure your back brake is on. as the suspension rebounds lift the front . Corrie Williams told me to straighten the front wheel with the first hop and then hop it side to side for balance. The first hop seems the hardest for me.

For both wheels I use the same technique but when I dip my knees to compress the suspension I do it more straight down where as I push them forward more for front hops. When the suspension comes up I grip the bike with my legs and lift it a bit.

I'm not sure if this is correct technique but it's how I do it. I was also told to ride on the balls of my feet and this made it easier to do both wheels at once.

I know this is an old topic but I'm bored and I figured it might help some people out or some people could correct me if I'm doing something wrong

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 pm

Just wanted to post that I used hops for the first time today to do something other than just hop in a circle.

1st. Rode front into a ditch and hopped the back sideways about 70 degrees down into the ditch

2nd. Rode into the garage, hopped around the front of the CB750 and rode out.

I was stoked :lol:

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Lukey

Just wait until you have section tapes, markers and person at the end with a hole punch............... It all goes to :oops: very quickly!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Bad_fruit
Junior participant
Junior participant

WOW

Postby Bad_fruit » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:38 pm

S.E.Lucas wrote:
hopped around the front of the CB750 and rode out.

I was stoked :lol:

You hopped the front of a CB750!!!!

^(=)^ ^(=)^ ^(=)^ ^(=)^
^-=-^

Just kiddin' I understand. Did a hop once myself.
Now that you sound fairly happy with that, I cannot stress the value of getting on non-ideal surfaces, a rocky creek bed is ideal but you can place the front or back on a step or similar, this helps. concrete is great for learning but hugely different to where you will be hopping in a comp. concrete even can make on a bit lazy, to combat this maybe seeing how few hops it takes to do a full circle or something might be good.

Well done, though.

signature virus :Please copy:

r2wtrials
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: swm tl 3203
Club: Zona 1 mcc

Postby r2wtrials » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:04 am

hops are easier when you slow down!!... work with the suspension.

Some of the best online explainations i have seen are ... http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/htm ... _ride.html there!!

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

I tried it and it works!!

Postby richardr » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm an old fart who is coming back into trials after not riding for 30 years. I went to

http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/htm ... _ride.html

and followed the instructions and movie clips, and I am doing front wheel and back wheel hops after 2 days practice. i still haven't "nailed it" but I've got the idea.

Give it a try - if an old dog like me can learn a new trick, then anybody can!!

TooFastTim
B grade participant
B grade participant
Location: Sydney [ex Auckland NZ and Cape Town, South Africa]

Postby TooFastTim » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Back wheel hops:

I made up an "H" frame, where the crossbar of the "H" was doubled up for the front wheel. It helps a lot when you don't keep falling over!

First I practiced kicking the back wheel over without the motor then, with the motor running, using the clutch. Front wheel hops are way more difficult.

Of course this is all in the driveway. In a trial is a whole new ball game. Anybody got any hints about using hopping in sections?

Note to self. Must change profile. Previously Cape Town South Africa. Now Auckland. New Zealand.

Bad_fruit
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Bad_fruit » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 am

Hi Tim.

It's good that you have got the feel of hopping the back wheel, as that is often the best skill for opening up the tight areas in a trial. I am, however, a bit concerned that you find the front MORE difficult to hop. The front should be enormously easier. I assume that you have the suspension at both ends reasonably well matched (fast and light)?
The reason the front should be easier is that the forks and swingarm work together to rebound the front into the air, in a direction around the back contact point. Also the back works as a pivot staying on the ground so you only need to get half (or less) of the weight off the ground. Then add the bigger leverage the bars offer (the total length from the back wheel to the bars) and that the modern riding position allows the rider to move the weight well back- making the front even lighter...

On the bright side - seeing as you have got a good feel for how to work with the suspension to get the back wheel off the ground, the front should come quite naturally :D

Just thought I'd post this up for those reading through, hoping to get some pointers on hopping them wheel about!.

Cheers,
Chris.

signature virus :Please copy:

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”