Letting the bike go

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Letting the bike go

Postby jml » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm not sure what peoples thoughts are on this, but this is somewhat of a lesson I learnt a few weeks ago and wanted to see if others shared it. After trying a rock ledge three times and on the final time stalling the bike, hanging on to try and save the bike and going a$# over tit, resulting in a hyper-extended knee (all clear, no major injury) I'm now committed to sacrificing the bike before myself. Obviously there is a line between abusing the bike, ghosting it all over the place but is it generally accepted that it's better to save yourself before trying to protect the bike?

I should have also asked someone if they could mind for me on that hazard as I wasn't comfortable with it. #-o

whitehillbilly
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Greeves
Club: SQTA

Re: Letting the bike go

Postby whitehillbilly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:39 pm

And maybe cheaper.
$900 per Quarterzone shot !!!!

whitehillbilly

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Postby jml » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 pm

whitehillbilly wrote:And maybe cheaper.
$900 per Quarterzone shot !!!!

whitehillbilly

Too right. I was lucky in that my Doctor sent me for an MRI covered under Medicare otherwise it would of been $250. Even for an Italian bike that's a fair few parts, let alone $900 =D>

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:35 pm

The older bike have generaly expensive parts and are easier to break. So do I.

Guy

Brigalow
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa,beta,DR

Postby Brigalow » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 pm

I bin letting meself go for so many years now I'm way past restoration, I also break down a lot & am totally unreliable, resale value would be less than scrap, I'd rather save the bike.

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby cota » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:35 am

Brigalow - you better be careful or you may find yourself traded in for a younger model with parts that respond quickly, better sprung, lighter, a bit more oomph. carburation and endurance and do not need bling to make them look good while being cheaper to run and don't mind being dumped for a younger model just because performance might be better.

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

Betaman
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BETA! wtf ;0)
Club: AJS Mcc

Postby Betaman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 am

Best off always looking after No 1. Bikes can be fixed...bodies can take longer.
But that's easier said than done. Sometimes when things go pear shaped in section
without warning then you don't have much choice but to look for a 'soft spot' to land in
mid air. :D
If your just practicing then having a catcher when your doing something difficult is a no brainer

Just my 2 cents worth.....or was that 1 cent???!!!
http://throttlethrasher.blogspot.com.au/

My Videos - My Club

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Yes totally agree about getting away from a crashing trials bike. When jumping up things and not quite making it, you can sometimes push the bike towards the obstacle as you separate, ideally to the top of the obstacle, and this can be effective in reducing the damage to both you and the bike.
It is also good policy to over-jump things the first time, and if you are not confident of managing to over-jump, abandon the attempt sooner rather than later.

relax, nothing is under control

Harry C
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: sherco

Postby Harry C » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi David, all us guys in Townsville have been doing it for years, Ray even documents it (for research purposes) as you've probably seen each year at the Rocky break up, not a lot of style there but we don't get hurt either
On the plus side if you get use to throwing your bike away you have less inhibitions about tackling something a little larger, plus a catcher or two doesn't hurt either...........
Chris

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Harry C wrote:Hi David, all us guys in Townsville have been doing it for years, Ray even documents it (for research purposes) as you've probably seen each year at the Rocky break up, not a lot of style there but we don't get hurt either
On the plus side if you get use to throwing your bike away you have less inhibitions about tackling something a little larger, plus a catcher or two doesn't hurt either...........
Chris

Yes Chris you guys are undoubtedly the experts at throwing it away. I'm always impressed watching Ray's annual compilation. The landing zone looks like sandy stuff too which is always nicer than rocks

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”