Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

bones1959
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1998 beta techno

Twin Shocks for sale

Postby bones1959 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I called it to the old bike shop in Belmont,and he had some bikes in stock in parts.
1, montessa 126 $2,000
2, Bultaco's 250s 2,000, and 4,000 for the Sammy miller rep in parts.And a green one he said it was a very early one 3,000
there was heaps of bits everywhere

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Re: Twin Shocks for sale

Postby Rod » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

No bones, if your wanting to get back into Trials don't buy a resto project, not yet anyway, you will spend another $1.5K sourcing all the other bits you need from around the world to get it together plus all the frustration of re-building it plus your time in the shed doing the work. For $2k you should be able to find a nice "going concern" twinshock, for $4K you should be able to find a beauty.
Just my opinion and previous experience.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Sounds very expensive for disassembled bikes

relax, nothing is under control

bones1959
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1998 beta techno

Postby bones1959 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm

That's what I was thinking, but hes has a lot of cool stuff in there . ossa's Bultaco's. Steel tank huskys ktm,s all pre 90s stuff

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 am

I've always said that if someone is selling a bike, car, anything really and it's in pieces....

1) They know that it's going to cost a motsa to put it back together, and that's why they're selling it. If not, they'd have put it back together and be selling it complete and running.

2) Unless you know what you are looking at inside out, it should be cheap. You need to know what is missing, repairable or junk. If not, you could end up spending the buy price rebuilding it.

If the bike is in 1 piece, even if it's not running. You can get a good idea of what you might need to repair. As in it turns over, the gear selection, etc.

I'm glad I got my little TY just before the mainstream asking price went silly for them.

Good luck with your decision on these bikes ladies and gentlemen.

PinkyTY
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250R
Club: AJS

Postby PinkyTY » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Rod is very correct!

I rebuilt a 76 TY175 a few years ago to original spec, every bearing, crank, down to the last nut and bolt. It became a bit of an obsession to be honest. I kept a spreadsheet to track costs and although very nice, the final cost was around $6k!!!

So, I embarked on building another one using parts left over from the first one, just finished, this one is a bit different, full WES exhaust, OKO flatslide, RD350 inlet + Boyesen reeds, all the usual engine stuff, NOS forks, etc etc, this one came out at $7.5K!!

Obviously the Wife thinks I'm mad but I must point out that it all happens over a few years and the the whole experience of the build is worth the money spent.

Now I have a Pinky, rescued from a wreckers, saw it out of the corner of my eye when walking past...couldn't resist it!! Just to get it rideable , including the cost price is already $4k + and it still look rough!!!

In conclusion, yes, buy sensibly, there's some great bikes out there. If anyone needs any TY175 parts, I have a box full of possibly useful parts..................

Return to “Waiting in the queue”