Success of failure?

Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

In a 10 section lap

is it better to get a two in every section and have a lap score of 20
69%
or clean 6 sections and five the remaining 4 sections and have a lap score of 20
31%

Total votes: 16

Ben Z
Junior participant
Junior participant

Success of failure?

Postby Ben Z » Sat May 13, 2006 10:44 am

Question for all that are interested in answering.... and I assume the answers will depend on your standard of riding....

The question is:

What do you personally classify as success or failure in each section you ride.... or even when replecting on a lap you have completed.... or even at the end of the day...

In each section you ride.... is success cleaning the section.... or not getting a five?

In a 10 section lap..... is it better to get a two in every section and have a lap score of 20.... or clean 6 sections and five the remaining 4 sections.... also for a lap score of 20.....

I know it all depends on the standard of sections.... just ignore all the variables and let me know your thoughts.....

Cheers

Ben

Post edited to a poll by PA

-------------------------------------------
Finding it tough on a solo??
You should take up sidecars!
At least you have someone else to blame for the 5!!!!!!!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat May 13, 2006 11:39 am

Yes there is a difference for me between what I get for the lap and what I get for each section.

Good question, Ben

For individual sections the most important thing for me is to have ridden it in control, focussed, relaxed and to the best of my ability. The points for individual sections are not important.

For the lap scores, the most important thing is that the lap scores reduce each lap. If they increase or stay the same it means I am not fit enough or am allowing myself to be distracted by something. Of course if it starts out dry and ends muddy this goal goes out the window.

I have found that if I start thinking about my total score and how well I am going against other riders in the same class, it can affect my riding adversely. Because of this effect, I tend not to look at my card or the scoreboard until I'm finished. Sometimes other riders in the same class ask me during the trial what I have got so far on a lap or overall and it surprises them that I usually have no idea.

Laugo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Laugo » Sat May 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Hi Ben great questions
For me success is having completed the day over a good demanding group of sections with very few mistakes and satisfied that not to many unnessary points were lost. I do not go home satisfied if the trial has been to easy as i am then not pushed to my limits or learning anything new.
Over here (NZ) us few top A graders will always ride together and often end up making sections harder for ourselves as as most people are to scared or dont know what we can or want to ride.

I think a trial where you loose a 2 in every section will be much harder in difficulty than the 6 cleans and 4 fives and is better marked out with the level just right. Then it becomes fitness and mental toughness to improve through the day and the best allrounder will win.

Laugo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Laugo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Ben you arnt getting much feedback on this one. I am also interested in this sort of question and have been watching for more comments but nothing is happening! WAKE UP! Please give some more feed back.
This type of discussion can ultimately change the way our events are run or section standards could be looked at depending on your thoughts. I am presuming this is your train of thought Ben?
Warren L

Ben Z
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Ben Z » Thu May 25, 2006 8:46 pm

That is one of several trains of thought.....

Just looking to see what people have to say to the questions I posed.... Like you have been waiting for replies.... but all too quiet really.....

Looking to get some feedback on different riders viewpoints and maybe put up a few other discussion topics.....

That is if anyone is interested in discussing our sport other than a very select few!!

Cheers

Ben

-------------------------------------------

Finding it tough on a solo??

You should take up sidecars!

At least you have someone else to blame for the 5!!!!!!!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Thu May 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Laugo

The day they set a section too hard for you I'll ride wearing a skirt 8)

Ben

From and OF (old farts) piont of view that had not ridden for 15yrs and came into the most difficult motorcycle sport when 43... I'll offer the following.

My first trial was the 2004 Vic titles at Anakie.......... My intention was to win clubman ... I didn't!

Since then I have had a few goes at C grade with the attitude of 20 points a lap would be a good result (no 5'sand just a couple of messy 3's) but I haven't been able to finish one C grade trial. Veterans ride the same line as C but if us newbies (and I'm not the only one) find this a bit taxing we are stuck with clubman while we find out if we can develop our skills.

I don't want to ride clubman but I still want to enjoy and challenge myself without fully testing what the old body has left (we ain't all John Rees)! There is not much fun in cleaning every lap (or close to) when you are on the same line as a good doing 8yr old. The trouble is the jump from CM to C is a big jump when the step up from C to C+ and then B is not so great (generally it means you have learnt something and have ability).

I know no one wants to mark out more lines and have more classes but if we ran OF+ over the B/W line used for Classic/PClassic we might keep a few fathers in the sport long enough to bring their kids with them???? I don't think there a many trophy hunters in this disipline but the gap between classes needs to encourage stepping up while making sure competion remains.

If only I could blame it on the bike :cry:

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 pm

I think what Ben is after is do you think the better rider is the one who got through all the sections with small points lost on each section compared to a rider who cleans some sections and then 5's a bunch. Who do you think is the better overall rider?

austini
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby austini » Fri May 26, 2006 11:02 am

Success for me riding high C / low B is firstly not to five by any way possible.

To have that warm fuzzy feeling that my ride through a section, be it a clean, 1,2 or 3 pointer was ridden to the best of my limited ability.

Usualy when I cop a five when others get a 1,2,3 etc: it is because i've either made a serious boo boo or i'm trying to clean the section either by using a different line or peer presure when I know my peers are not cleaning the section and I will (nah!!! I must clean it) which usually results in a five or a sloppy three.......

Of course Ben the main reason for me copping a five is because i've followed a frigging sidecar in to section and they've completly rearranged it !!!!!!!!

Setting of sections for various abilities is a toughy, one solution for a CC+, C+ or B+ class is for those riders who feel they need to push themselves is to ride half the trial in sections above their grade, that way there's no extra lines to be marked out.

One thing I don't understand is riders who travel 4 hrs to and from a trial, spend $60 on the day, upgrade each year, then drop less than 5 each trial because their riding below their grade, then they say what a great trial it was.....

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Mon May 29, 2006 9:09 pm

BJ, when i was riding all those years ago, I rode for fun and if I picked up a trophy, well it was a bonus. I used to sit back and watch the better riders in all grades do their stuff. There was no way I could have got through some of the sections without a 3 or maybe a 2. I guess Clubman was the Class for me and I was comfortable with that. I knew my limit and didn't cross it. Besides i didn't have anyone to drive the car home afterwards. :(
I've seen some Trials since 'retiring' and the general standard of riding has improved immensly in all grades! If a Club is setting different lines, just make sure the riders take pity on the observers, afterall they have to decipher the coloured plate on the front of your bike. Also, is it necessary to have A and A+ in the same Club event? Why not just have A and Expert? Save the major splits for the National and State level trials.

Feet up, as always!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Mon May 29, 2006 9:51 pm

Stu/Austini

On the weekend the sections were set as I think they should be for the white, b/w and blue lines (when i can ride yellow or red I'll comment on them :oops: ).

Under heavy peer group pressure I started out trying to ride two blue markers in every section I could. By the end I was having a go at 50% of the blue sections and cleaning some of them 8)

The 3 things that made the difference were (1) Val Italiano sets really well thought out sections, (2) using the C+ line well so the C line was more rideable for upclassed riders and (3) the witch doctor that made my hands, arms and back work for a whole day!

I think my new answer to Ben Z is, the C+ line used well leaves C for OF's and learning juniors a step up with a line that doesn't knock the confidence too much and the same should apply to the gap in each grade. When the red plates come out, then we need to consider a whole different senario.

Every section should be cleanable at least once......then I go home happy....... Ive never cleaned them all and I will go up a grade before that ever happens! ..............You can hold me to it :|

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Return to “Waiting in the queue”