Tow bar mounted trials bike carrier

Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

N*A*M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Tow bar mounted trials bike carrier

Postby N*A*M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:17 pm

Is anybody using a bike carrier that is mounted to the tow bar? I know there was a product listed but I can't find the thread now. Forum auto-pruning? I wanted to see the photos again.

I missed out on an eBay auction for a bike trailer so I decided I'd just build my own carrier. I've tested it driving over some speed humps around the block and it's pretty solid. Does anyone want me to post some pics?

Have you ever been questioned by traffic police about it? I'll be mounting the licence plate on it so that it is very visible. I'm just wondering if I should move the lights and maybe even mount a number plate light or not. You can see the lights through the wheel spokes but I'd rather be cautious...

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:28 pm

The tail lights need to be visible so you should mount a set on the carrier.

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi N*A*M,

Talk to Phil Whittle 0415 861 036.
His racks are awesome. :thumb:

I've written about them previously in Phil's add/post, here on TA. But the add has now expired, so I can't point you to the thread.

I've never had any trouble from police. But I did make a good job of the lights and number plate.

If you only have one bike, this is 10 times better than a bike trailer.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

N*A*M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby N*A*M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:41 pm

thanks guys.

i thought phil's carrier was pretty sweet. and i didn't want to just copy it. but obviously, it's mounted in the same place and does the same function so there will be some similarities.

i'm going to be getting a boat trailer type light bar. that's the quick and easy option for lighting. it'll be on a plastic board and plug straight into the trailer plug. all i have to do is mount the number plate to it and mount it to the carrier.

here are the in progress pics...

testing fitment

the mounting - a 2nd flipped tow bar forms the main support

i lay some bad booger

during paint of the underside

i just gotta paint the top side and i'm done. initially i wanted to be able to open the rear door without removing this carrier but i couldn't make it stable enough if i built it too low.

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:17 am

Nice effort there, looks to be plenty solid enough. Top job so far!
I have seen the original ad here some time back and started to collect some material to build one too, but I have selected 150mm box cable ladder (industrial galvinised cable tray). I want mine to be lower to aid loading and have the hatch door to clear.
The lights from a boating style is a great idea for those who arnt elec minded, and just plugs in, + relevant licence plate light too.
What are the legalities regarding these racks?

NAM, I was a little concerned that the mounting with a single tow bolt and nut could lossen with flex (sprung weight). Maybe a longer threaded tow ball with a lock nut?
I would also be concerned with movement sideway, unless you weld tabs on the new tongue to guide down over the cars tongue or use some binders to tie each side to your car recovery loops.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

austini
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby austini » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:36 am

Here's my bike rack that I use occasionally, all the weight of the bike is centered on the towbar and if space permits the bike can be bolted to the rack through the bash plate.........
Attachments
S3000015.JPG

NUDGE
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby NUDGE » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:46 am

Hi,

Good job guys

Just something to think of is your "load projection limits" in your state. In SA if more than 1.2m of your load is past the rear of the vehicle or if the load is inconspicuous (handlebars????) it needs to be flagged or a red light at night. It must not be more than 150mm out each side of the total width of the car (not including mirrors). Your load has to be safe for pedestrians i.e. no sharp bits (they take all the fun out of city driving).

I would be safer have number plate light and if you want to get real fussy I think the number plate is ment to be reflective. But this is all going to depend on what the cops pulls you over for and what mood they are in.

cheers

Trent

If in doubt ...... GO FLAT OUT!!!!!!!!

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:46 am

NAM,
Looking at your design, all the weight is hung directly off the tow ball and neck. I think you`ll find the bike will pivot around this point, unless you run a couple of stabiliser bars, from the end of the tow bar out to the rack.
Cheers
ShercoH

ShercoH
I`m a pupil of experience !!

N*A*M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby N*A*M » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:48 am

way cool. thanks for all the help and pointers. maybe i can hang a little flag on the left hand grip. it doesn't really stick out very far. if something rear ends me, i think the handlebar would be the least of my concerns!

i plan to relocate the actual rego plate to the light bar. saves me finding the reflective number stickers. and if all goes to plan, i'll pick this light bar up for a bargain, slap some lens on and be done.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0052447863

i was going to weld two tabs to sandwich the towbar and keep it straight but i didn't want to find that it won't fit on a different car with a wider bar. so i will run straps from the corners of the carrier to the towbar crossmember. that should keep it straight. i'll see if i can find a longer tow ball, otherwise, i can just leave the ball off and use the bolt. there's a fat spring washer there so i think that should be ample to keep the nut from backing out. i'll definitely recheck it quite often the first few times i use this.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:51 am

NAM

I used a carrier on the back of a Subaru Outback with no problems. It might pay to use some sort of tie strap back to the tailgate hinge or roof rack if you have a wagon or the boot hinge with a sedan and onto the handle bars. This can be done with a thin nylon tie-down and it stops the bike shaking around too much when travelling. I had no trouble with the cops, even when I was parked in Collins St in the city!!!!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Return to “Waiting in the queue”