Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Fantic Trials Bike ????

Postby Starky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 am

I have an offer of a Fantic Trials Bike for $2500.

Problem is I am new to trials and the owner does not know what he is selling. He is a motorcycle mechanic but not the origional owner of the bike He says it has got HEAPS of power and top end speed well over 100kph. The bike is a late model Fantic by the very low seat hieght, disc brakes and monoshock. The serial number starts with a star then 364 is the first three numbers. There is a sticker along the seat saying "249 Racing". The owner who is very experienced on bikes says that it could be larger then 250 by its performance.

Can someone please enlighten me about what I am looking at as I don't want to buy something that is too powerful for me. :oops: :wink:

Starky

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Re: Fantic Trials Bike ????

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi Starky

1. "for $2500". ....sounds hi, as parts are hard to get now.

2. "top end speed well over 100kph".....bullshit!!

3. "The bike is a late model Fantic"..... what year or what colour is it?

4. "There is a sticker along the seat saying "249 Racing"". ....that sticker should be on the swingarm.

5. "it could be larger then 250 by its performance".......If it's engine is modified, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Best of balance.

Neo

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Starky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Neo
Thanks for your quick response to my problem. The bike is mostly white with fluro red front guard, fluro green front disc protector, white fork protectors, blue shrouds, white rear guard, and red sides to the seat area. We can not find any identifying numbers on it ie engine size, make model, year etct. Just to look at the bike it is in good condition, new chain, sprocket and tyres. Motor starts and runs without rattles or to much smoke. The stickers are the only tatty part. My research says that parts are not too be a problem, but I have no real idea. Still thinking about it but now more inclined to go smaller.

But open to more advice.

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey Starky,

The 249 is the Fantic "Section" and what I based my valuation on.

What you describe sounds nothing like a "Section" And thus a pre 1994 bike. ....The price would be even lower.....who knows??

And if you think that parts would be easy to get hold of, I think you'd be kidding yourself.
Fantic went bust in 1997 and have no intention of supporting the old bikes when they finally make a come back....sometime :-)

Best of balance.

Neo

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Starky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi again Neo

You are quick.

I have not seen a picture of this bike on the web and I have not located a picture of the Section bike you talk about. It has a very low seat line more like a modern bike then the 1989 model Fantics that I have seen on the net. However it is not as scoped out as the modern bikes.

I believe Fantic is back again but only in the moped and 125 street bikes.

Some of the second hand ads on this website say parts are not a problem - somewhat misleading maybe???

I believe in the old saying "when in doubt, don't" and afetr watching some of the video clips on this site I know I need a smaller bike to learn some skills.

But I would love to know what this bike really is.

Starky

Starky

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey Starky,

The "long and the short of it" is this.....you can buy a much newer bike that this for $2,500 and for $3,000 you'll be in this decade with support from the local importers.

Best of balance.

Neo

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Starky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Neo,

Thanks for your persistence with my problem. I am cured I will look for a smaller bike in the 125 - 200 range.

Anybody out there got one for less then $3000. I'm interested. :wink:

I will post a wanted ad.

Starky

Smiddy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Smiddy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:40 am

Fellas,
Sounds to me like a mix'n'match K-Roo. Fluro Green parts from the original '91 air-cooled model as the bike's graphics were predominately greeny-yellow and blue, with either '92 (deep red and blue) or '94 model (the 249 Racing sticker was in this position, with a brighter red, blue and white coloring over the bike) remaining plastics. If it's a deep, grass green then the front disk plastic is from a Section rather than the K-Roo.
Definitely a steer-clear for that price. Incidently, Fantic have changed hands yet again and there was pictures going around about this time last year of their new 80cc and 125cc junior trials bikes that were at a prototype phase, with a press release stating that a 250cc+ four-stroke was also in development.

Return to “Waiting in the queue”