Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Is this our Angela???????

Postby Starky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:35 pm

The following is a clipping from the Gladstone Observer. Me thinks this is our Angela since David Lahey's name is also on the artical. :lol: :lol:

Good one Angela. Not enough women in the sport.

Starky

Angela cleans in trial

ANGELA Sophios gets the biggest buzz out of cleaning a section. But do not be fooled.

This type of cleaning requires a 50 ? 290cc trial bike, along with balance and skill to clear a section of natural obstacles without putting your foot down.

Sophios has competed at mototrials for two years, and is one of the three female members of Rockhampton Trials Club.

She wants to see the sport promoted more, particularly among women and children, who she thinks will really enjoy the sport.

?I have always knocked around on bikes, coming from off the land.

But when I injured myself in touch, and we bought our son a trial bike and he wasn?t interested in it, I thought I?d have a go,? she said.

Since then she was hooked.
?It is not a speed sport, it is about control, balance and strategy,? she said. ?Most women will not be as strong as the men competing in mototrials.

?You simply take another approach, using strategy rather than strength to get through difficult sections,?? Sophios said.

Also appealing for many, mototrials are safe, so safe Sophios said she lets her eight-year-old daughter Samantha compete.

?There are very few injuries ? you just pull the clutch and out your foot down if you get into a spot.?

Every time you put your foot down, a penalty is incurred. ?You ride with others for safety, so they can push you, and to instil confidence in you.?

Mototrials is more about the personal challenge, even though you are competing against others, Sophios said. ?And although the sport is male dominated, most men admire the women riding for having the guts to get out there.?

Rockhampton Trial Club meet once a month, and alternate between Rockhampton and Gladstone ? about 60 per cent of members are from Gladstone. These meets are family orientated, and more so for the Sophios clan, as husband Drew, Samantha and Angela all compete at mototrials around the region, travelling in an old ambulance which just fits the family and four bikes.

For more information phone Angela Sophios 4975 0620 or David Lahey on 4975 0236.

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Yes Starky. Angela gave a coherent, interesting to the Gladstone Observer and by the time it was printed it was almost unreadable.

You should have seen the report about the riding display we did at the Rockhampton Heritage village Markets printed in the Observer the week before.

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:15 pm

David.

I actually found the story on the internet while I was just searching "trials". I did a cut and paste and that is why we have all the ? throughout the story in my post. It is a bit incoherant but I get the basis of a good story for the women of our sport. Also it is good to see Gladstone/Rockhampton get the story in there to start with.

I don't know Angela but someone by the tag of "ang s" has sent me an invite to ride up in Gladstone and being the bright, intelligent person I am :roll: I just jumped to the conclusion that they are one of the same.

By the way David I love my bike, it is starting to make me look good as my skills improve. :D :D

Starky :beta

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

Postby seiko » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:26 pm

hehe... I see that Angela is still 'married' to Drew? teehee.....
For those who read the article.. it mentioned that 'Angela and her husband Drew'... but Angela's husband is actually John who also competes, Drew is a very good friend up here who also competes and rides with Angela. Well, it gave us all a good laugh up here, and the ongoing jokes are well enjoyed.. teehee :lol:

Return to “Waiting in the queue”