Attack on the Xperts

Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

Tony C
C grade participant
C grade participant

Attacking Experts

Postby Tony C » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:07 pm

I was at Pacific Park on Sunday for the Open free Trial.
During the day I noticed all of the Experts riding as a group.
8 or 9 of NSW top riders, riding, catching, discussing, chatting & generally having a ball trying to outdo each other.
For anyone spectating this was fantastic.
Some of the lines they were taking to gain an extra point or 2 over their rivals, was educational to us lesser riders.
Whilst watching, you could here continual coments "why didn't I think of that line?"
Can't say I've seen any negativity with Experts or A grade riders over the last couple of years, aside from being down on themselves for dropping points in a section.
One thing, you never here an Expert say "it's too hard".

Tony

flatslide
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Any sponsored bike

Postby flatslide » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:04 pm

19 Years riding in NSW and Australia and I can't for the life of me think of one Expert who fits Neo's description of an "Expert".

Dont misinterpret focus and determination for something its not.

Now, if you had mentioned the "W" word that might be different! :wink:

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:16 am

At the last Nationals in WA, I was observing the Red Line - A grade and Youth. It was interesting to note the difference in personalities and different approach in the sections of these Experts.

Some guys were in the "zone" just concentrating, not commenting too much and tended to be a particular style analyzing every rock and hopped the wheel 1/2 and inch here and there, and took ages to ride the section.
Then there were the other blokes just joked about and were really friendly, seemed to give the section a general look, but really had a line picked straight up without too much more fussing about, then rode the sections with a controlled fluid movements to confidently place the wheel where they wanted it and used the momentum to their advantage.

I would be wrong to assume the first type of rider I described to what Neo described, because I know a couple of these guys to be the friendliest guys out there and help the juniors and up coming B grade youth no end.

Yes there are plenty of others that ride other grades that fit the description, I am sure we all know at least one individual in your club that acts like this, some blokes ride for sheep stations you know!

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

lewry family
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lewry family » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Interesting comments from both sides of the argument here.

From my experience as an observer and as a "score-table person" at the Wollongong club trials I have noticed one thing. Talk to an expert before a trial or during a trial and they are often very much in the "zone", but talk to them after a trial and it is usually a different story. The day is over, the pressure off and sheepstations won or lost. :P :x

The two experts you referred to, Big Damo, at the last Wollongong trial are exceptional guys. The same two guys (Mick and Jake) really let their hair down at a previous trial at Kiama where, after the trial, they proceeded to 'muck around' on a 'small pit bike' in Les' front paddock....Much to the amusement and admiration of many. I heard several comments about how great it was for them to be able to let their hair down and just 'muck around like kids'. :wink:

Just my observations!!!!

Maree Lewry

Trials.......the family sport

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 am

Hi All,

This has turned into a thread I won’t forget for a long time. I don’t completely regret rising this issue. But I realise now (in the light of day) that my point of view has been extreme. And my second paragraph (above) was a bad way to open this subject up.

What really motivated me to post this thread was a number of “poor behaviour” examples in the past (but none last Sunday) that I have witness.
One I vividly remember. Was watching an Xpert grow very inpatient while waiting in a queue with many juniors. He was kind of surrounded by them and the queue was not moving on. When he could tolerate this no longer. With one foot on the ground and the other on a peg. He popped a stationary wheelie and rotated his bike around 180 degrees. Over the heads of others close by. This might sound impressive but the wheelie was not that high and the head of a child, right next to him, passed between his front wheel and bash plate, as he did this. The clearance would have been just a few inches but he said nothing to the boy (who had just had the life scared out of him) and just rode off.

I guess it was examples like this that has lead to me scrutinise Xperts behaviour. Wrapped up with an exhausting day and bout of negativity. The results are clear for all to see.

I thank all those that gave a civil or supportive response but at the end of the day the apologies are all mine….I just took this one far too far. And in between the dribble, I hope you understand?

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

gmcdesign
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Scorpa
Club: AJS of SA

Experts

Postby gmcdesign » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:53 am

Nothing wrong with stirring up a little controversy, but got to be careful when chucking the mud around not to blame many for the actions of a few. I guess the key point is that we all have to think about the affect of our behavior whilst out on the sections. But, importantly different people have different approaches to the sport; some taking it more seriously than others - this does not have to mean being inconsiderate.

Cheers,

G

Life is a trial.

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Well while we`re at it.Lay off the Motocrossers aswell !!!. My boys have made plenty of mates through the sport, bit more testosterone out on the track, but once everyones back in the pits, it`s a very social scene.
Any form of motorcycling, beats the hell out of a lot of options our youth have for amusement in society these days.

ShercoH
I`m a pupil of experience !!

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 pm

Somehow, I get the feeling you’ve waited a long time for the opportunity to say that Howard? :wink:

Ok….I will if BJ will….in fact, I will anyway. :P

Best of balance.

Neo
PS...why don't you prove your claim to me. And invite me along to an MX event next time I'm down your way??

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

wazzawood
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gasser

Postby wazzawood » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Good to see the trials forums alive again.

Experts are friendly. Just don't laugh at them when they get a five for rolling backwards half an inch.

I've never NOT had a social conversation in a section/queue with an expert.

Out of curiosity, do A, B and C graders snob you as well? :D

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

Postby Scorps » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:34 am

Howdy Y'all

Why won't anyone just come out and say "all experts are flaming c**ts!"

It's sad but true - everyone should stop sticking up for them.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood ScorpaMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1981 Fantic 240 Professional
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

Return to “Waiting in the queue”