Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

AlanCase
Junior participant
Junior participant

Returning rider

Postby AlanCase » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi.
It has been a lot of years since I have done any trials riding.
Trials bikes almost looked like trail bikes ie TY250
Now they are very strange units. Is it at all possible to sit on a trials bike or are they stand up only?
Looking at the options for a new bike the only dual purpose looking bike I could see is an Ossa Explorer but they seem to be almost unobtainable.
Regards Alan

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Re: Returning rider

Postby jml » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:15 pm

It's not impossible but the height does leave your feet hanging very low to the ground. I have to be mindful not to snag my feet on uneven ground, rocks or stumps. Some brands of bike can be fitted with a long ride seat kit like this

The guys over at thehellteam sell them too: http://www.thehellteam.com/products/lon ... tanks.html

AlanCase
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby AlanCase » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi. Thanks for the reply.
I never knew seats like that were made.
So much easier to get around between where your want to practice and also somewhere to sit after finishing a section.
Regards Alan

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Alan
I, like you, returned to the sport after a 20 year hiatus at the end of the 90's and felt like I had just stepped off a time machine when I saw my first modern bike, not to mention what they could do. And, like you, I asked many of the same questions. The importance of those questions fade very quickly once you have gotten back on the horse, so to speak, and before long standing up around the loop and sitting down on an un-cushioned plastic guard in section queues becomes second nature, you just have to let go of everything you thought was normal! If that becomes all too difficult to overcome then there are always the Twinshock or Classic options, all with seats, to fall back on. But that's like comparing a Model "T" Ford to a Ferrari in my humble opinion. Sorry Warbler's!
As JML mentioned, there are bikes that come with adaptable seats plus a half/half Gas Gas that has been talked about being let loose on the market and Paul from the Hell Team is the right guy to talk to about that for sure.
Personally though, if you are wanting to get back into the sport seriously, and I expect once you take the plunge it will turn serious, then you need to get the seat thing clear out of your head and just embrace the new technology!!!!
Good luck on the journey.
Ian

"The older I get the better I was"

AlanCase
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby AlanCase » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi.
Thanks Ian.
So you can sit on the guards. They do not look overly strong.
I was never seriously into trials. I just found it a fun way to kill a few hours practising without the inevitable pain a few hours of MX practice would give.
Now to find a bike.
Alan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 pm

AlanCase wrote:Hi.
Thanks Ian.
So you can sit on the guards. They do not look overly strong.
I was never seriously into trials. I just found it a fun way to kill a few hours practising without the inevitable pain a few hours of MX practice would give.
Now to find a bike.
Alan

you sit on the low bit when stopped, not the guard, and it is quite comfortable (knees comfortably bent and feet flat on ground)

relax, nothing is under control

AlanCase
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby AlanCase » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi. Maybe another dumb question.
Do you ever have trouble snapping the rear mudguard off?
Regards Alan

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:49 pm

AlanCase wrote:Hi. Maybe another dumb question.
Do you ever have trouble snapping the rear mudguard off?
Regards Alan
I've never had any trouble snapping them off. You just need to grab them very firmly, and with a quick and powerful upwards pull, they snap straight off, except for the old fashioned metal guards on some of the older twinshocks and classics. Of course those can be twisted and bent into some terrible shapes too.

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Sounds like you're vacillating Allan, i.e. finding reasons why not to take the plunge? I haven't broken a guard for 3 years now but let me assure you, everyone does at some stage or other, it's a given! I ride Beta's, as do my two sons, and they probably have the hardest and at the same time most brittle rear guards on the market, but that said they do take some breaking. I think the Gas Gas guards are a bit more forgiving but I wouldn't let the fragility of a guard put you off. There is always going to be collateral damage when you first start. You just want to hope its a guard and not your body that takes the beating. :D

"The older I get the better I was"

AlanCase
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby AlanCase » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks, when I re-read the question I saw I left myself open to the 2nd last reply.
Now to decide on which bike.
Regards Alan

Return to “Waiting in the queue”