Non-specific topics of any nature.

Moderator: Moderators

MCAnic
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY350

TY350 performance issues

Postby MCAnic » Sun May 24, 2015 12:39 pm

hi folks i am a newbie the the trials arena and have just purchased a TY350.

It is a beauty but since I haven't riding a trials bike before I was wondering if my bike was right?

Compared to an MX style bike where the power delivery is quite aggressive my TY 350 is very torquey but not aggressive at all. There isn't a power band as such just very smooth delivery up to 3/4 throttle. From 3/4 to WOT there is no gain or loss of engine rpm. I have tried changing the standard main jet to 155 and moved the clip position not difference was found apart from a wet plug. Any ideas or do these bikes simply not rev out?
Thank you regards Loc

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY350 performance issues

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 24, 2015 7:16 pm

The standard TY350 has a particularly low peak RPM and when they are at their RPM peak, behave exactly as you have described. People who ride them successfully tend to use a high gear (typically 3rd) and make good use of the clutch.
It is possible that yours may be even worse than normal if the exhaust has become clogged with carbon

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 pm

I would definitely not lighten the flywheel, as was suggested on the Trials Central forum in answer to your query there. It would become a nightmare to ride in sections.

relax, nothing is under control

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:01 pm

I also read the comments on Trials Central and immediately had the same thoughts as David suggested here. I bought an ex Steve Hope Ty 350 some years ago and found it difficult to control, it was either extremely docile or suddenly turning into a fire breathing monster when snapping the throttle open. Probably more to Steve's liking than mine, leave the flywheel alone, learn to ride it with the jets suggested, its still a nice bike to ride when you get used to the standard power delivery.

Pre 65 Classic bikes

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 pm

I had a TY350s from brand new - great bike in its time. I left all jetting and flywheel standard but did fit a John Shirt rear muffler that made a big difference and let it breathe. You can't get new ones now, but you can get WES (long) or Nigel Birkett one for the 250 that will do the job. I ran standard 350S gearing 10/35 and rode everything in 2nd or 3rd gear - all the torque is down the bottom end (a bit like a diesel) Worthwhile cleaning the carbon out if the main system (carefully cut open & repack centre box in need). Remember also the 350 has chrome bore so if rattly will need sleeve or I know a couple of riders here in SA successfully used Teflon coating on the piston to take up the slack.

Return to “Waiting in the queue”