Final results for Queensland Twinshock Series

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Final results for Queensland Twinshock Series

Postby David Lahey » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Thanks Peter Sampson for the report of the final round of the Queensland Twinshock Series.

You certainly are an amazing wordsmith.

I read the whole thing twice before I was sure that it was actually a Yamaha mounted rider who won the series and not a Honda rider. Somehow your report successfully heralded a 4 stroke victory despite the winner riding a very original 1976 TY250.

Congratulations to John Isherwood for putting together three good rides on his TY250C. One can only imagine how well he would have done had he ridden all the rounds.

It hasn't escaped my attention that second place went to a rider also mounted on a bike originating in the halcyon 1970s. Well done Dan Gollagher. I'm impressed. Just think how much easier it would all have been if you had a 2 stroke motor in that lovely TL.

From third place on comes a string of "modern" twinshock bikes like Honda TLRs and the SWM of Rob Wager.

Here comes the rant

Being old enough to have ridden the lovely 1970s bikes when they were the latest thing and then missing out on the era of Fantics, Italjets, SWMs and TLRs, I have quite a soft spot for the earlier twinshocks and see nothing but a distinct lack of style when I look at the 1980s trials bikes. But rather than just drone on forever about it, I've decided to do something positive.

I've been resurrecting a very used 1968 M49 Bultaco Sherpa T for about 8 months now. First I made it rideable so I had some idea what it would be like to ride in sections. It is now in the process of becoming recognisable as a M49 and with any luck will be having a competition debut at Conondale at the Twinshock and Classic Masters Trial in November.

In theory it should go great - after all Sammy Miller won umpteen events on that model and they were hugely popular at the time so I have no realistic reason for not competing on it.

By the way, an M49 Sherpa features in “On Any Sunday” with a guy doing a long wheelie along a road with one knee on the seat while a little kid looks on shaking his head.

If anyone else has a Twinshock trials bike from 1965 onwards that they have been thinking about riding, bring it along and have a go. At least you won’t be alone.

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Re: Final results for Queensland Twinshock Series

Postby Rob W » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:06 pm

David Lahey wrote:Thanks Peter Sampson... You certainly are an amazing wordsmith.

Here, here. Thanks Peter. And thank you to all the riders who supported the events, particularly those like David and John who had to travel a long way to compete in some of the rounds. I hope to see you all next year when we run it again. The marvellous perpetual 4RoBs trophy that Dan G put together will again be up for grabs.

David Lahey wrote:Here comes the rant

Oh Oh, not again.... ^()^

David Lahey wrote:Being old enough to have ridden the lovely 1970s bikes .... I have quite a soft spot for the earlier twinshocks and see nothing but a distinct lack of style when I look at the 1980s trials bikes.

:o ...... :P :P :P :P :P :P to you.

David Lahey wrote:But rather than just drone on forever about it,

You just did.....again :twisted:

David Lahey wrote:I've decided to do something positive.

:idea: You're going to buy an SWM or a Fantic :?:

David Lahey wrote:I've been resurrecting a very used 1968 M49 Bultaco Sherpa T for about 8 months now.

Oh no. More old crappers :roll:

David Lahey wrote:In theory it should go great ....so I have no realistic reason for not competing on it.

I have no doubt that you will be very competitive - just like normal. ^W^ I think that at our level a rider of a "modern bike" doesn't really have a great advatage. I mean, who regularly whips us all, riding a bloody classic? It might be different if we rode a B-grade line.

David Lahey wrote:If anyone else has a Twinshock trials bike from 1965 onwards that they have been thinking about riding, bring it along and have a go. At least you won’t be alone.

We'd love to see anyone on an old bike. And there are even those of us who'll support those young malcontents who want to ride a post 1979 twinshock. (Yeh I know David - they look like fridges). Oh and David I'd just like to point out that I did ride a steel tank, steel swingarm bike at one of the rounds, so :P :lol:

See you at Conondale David - I might even be riding a pre 75 bike! :^o

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

Return to “News article discussion”