"Open Free" Trials - Pacific Park

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

Tony C
C grade participant
C grade participant

Open Free

Postby Tony C » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:28 am

The sections are all set for this Sunday's, first, Open free Trial at Pacific Park.
Thanks to Paul, Keith, Sue & Peter for your assistance.
With a line for all grades from Junior/Novice through to Expert this should be one excellent day. (Everybody pray for fine weather).
Prior to commencing competition, we plan to gather everyone at one section & run through the whole process & briefing, with a demonstration run by an Expert.
It will be up to the rider to decide which split he/she takes while in a section.
Remember, your trying to gain as many points as possible.
This is one Trial you shouldn't miss.
We would suggest to arrive early & walk around the sections to get any idea of what's in store.
For spectators, all sections are within 200m of car park.
Food & ammenities on site.

See you there.....

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:40 am

Good work guys - looking forward to the day - it could be the first trial in NSW under snow for a very long time...

Paul Mac

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm

The Hell Team wrote:I'll double check this one, but I think because it is at Pacific Park, if you don't have a comp license you could still ride for no points by paying the Park entry fee and signing the Park indemnity.
Don't quote me just yet, but i will check with the powers that be, and post as soon as I have the "skinny"!
arnoux

Hi Paul,

Any news on this? :wink:

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Yes,
The word from the regulatory body is MNSW control the trial and you must be a licensed rider to "compete" in the event, score points, win prizes, be covered by their insurances, rules and regulations etc.
On the other hand you can come to Pacific Park, pay your entry fee, sign the park indemnity, and ride anywhere in the Park you choose.
That's as much as I can offer on this Forum, for more info please call Keith Marchant from the club. (see club details page)
paul

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:36 pm

I wanted to be the first to congratulate Paul and Keith for holding this bold new initiative.

I think the day was an absolute delight for all riders that believe in a trials community.

Things I noticed that were different to the usual Comp days.

1. Just about everyone stopped and considered what and how they were going to rider through the sections. And a lot of people did this again, 2nd and 3rd time round (this has got to be something good).

2. Riders showed an interest, not only in their own score, but in the achievements of others riders in the section.

3. Riders seemed to try harder…I’d guess because they had chosen their own lines.

4. There were many smiling faces at all the sections. Riders seemed to find it much more fun. And as challenging as they were in the mood for.

5. From most riders. There was more of a community spirit (riders helping riders) at this event, than I had seen at any event.

Maybe I'm just biased....but it was bloody good to see. And I for one want to see this new form of Trials take on BIG TIME!! In Oz. :D

Best of luck to all the organisers.

Neo

PS…Paul, can you please post up the results?

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Hell of an effort from the "Hell Team" & Friends.
Team Boniface all had a great day & spoke about the trial & this new format most of the way home.
Not once did I hear anybody complaining about sections being to hard or to easy. I can't remember the last time that happened.
Looks like Neo was just to keen to get home & be the first to post his congratulations to all concerned.
So I will be the second & just add,
Bring on the next "Free Open Trial"

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Further to Neo and Gary B's comments. Today was my 2nd trial back from the unknown and it was a terrific day! Yes there were smiles allround at the sections and alot more talk about scores and which lines they took.Riding with Phil Escot and Peter navin was great, they showed me the better lines and as much as I tried, I couldn't go there.
Congrats to all concerned with the Trial and the food was top notch!

Feet up, as always!

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:26 am

Fantastic news that this was a success, as lot of people across OZ will be interested to know about this new format and how it was embraced.
Good on the organisers for not being afraid to try something different, and maybe paved a fresh evolution in trials! Interested to read more comments.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

bigdamo
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby bigdamo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm

here is a short video from the day
[youtube]KABU4k1-Jaw[/youtube]

Have a guess what Keith is saying?

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:26 pm

I think it turned out to be a really enjoyable day, and a great success for the club. I'll post the results as soon as I receive them from the score keeper (sorry for the wait , but it's out of my hands!)

Here's the definitive rules that we ran under, it's a direct translation from the current French rules.

OpenFree Trials Rules: (07/07/2007)

Article 1: OpenFree Trials competition must only utilize Trials type motorcycles (in conformity with the FIM and/or Motorcycling Australia’s regulations).

Article 2: The rider while completing a section, or "zone" can pass through the gates of his choice.

Article 3: The gates laid out in a section have 3 different values. 10 points, 5 points, 2 points

Article 4: The rider, in completing a section, is free to pass the gates that he/she wishes.
With each passage of a gate the rider accrues the points of that crossed gate.
If the rider does not pass any gate, he/she receives 0 points.
The rider cannot ride a gate already crossed.
It is forbidden to pass the gates in the opposite direction of the arrows
The rider cannot pass back through a gate to cross another gate.

Article 5: Completing the section or zone without dabbing or footing receives 10 bonus points.
Completing the zone with 1 dab or footing receives 5 bonus points.
Completing the zone with 2 dabs receives 2 bonus points.
Completing the zone with 3 feet, or more, gets no bonus points.
The rider must cross at least one gate in that section to gain any bonus points.

Article 7: The rider who falls, or fails (stalls with footing) preserves the points of the gates crossed before his failure.
After the failure he/she must leave the section without passing any more gates.
The rider does not receive any bonus points for that zone or section.

Article 8: The rider has 1 minute to traverse the section.
If he/she exceeds this time, the rider preserves the points from the gates crossed in that previous minute.
At the end of the minute, the rider must leave the section without passing any more gates.
The rider does not receive any bonus points.

Article 9: The rider who rides over an arrow or marker, or moves an arrow or marker does not receive points for this gate, but he/she can continue his/her riding of the zone.
The rider loses the benefit of any bonus points.

Page 2

Article 10: The sections must be minimum 50 meters, and maximum 100 meters according to the ground, and the number of obstacles.
Each section must have 3 gates minimum, and 8 gates maximum of each value.
Example - section #1: 6 doors with 10pts, 5 doors with 5pts and 3 doors with 2pts.
In all cases the section must comprise more, or equal, number of gates with 10pts than gates with 5pts, and more, or equal, number of gates with 5pts than gates with 2pts)

Article 11: Openfree consists of a circuit containing 6 to 8 sections, maximum per loop, and 3 loops, in a 5 hours time period.
Each rider can decide to make either 1, or 2, or 3 loops during the 5 hours of competition.
The rider must finish the started loop.
A rider can decide at any time during competition to stop their Trial.
The rider will be classified with the points acquired at the time of this decision.

Article 12: If a rider goes beyond the time limit of the competition he/she is penalized 30 points per minute late.
Each minute of delay at the beginning is penalized 30 points.
Any delay longer than 20 minutes will result in rider disqualification.
These penalty points are included in the final results, and rider classification.

Article 13: 13.1 Classification of the Trial.
The rider who accrues the greatest number of points is declared victorious.
A classification by category can be also be established (Junior, Sub Junior, Open, Veterans, Women, and by marks, by cubic capacity etc).
In the event of equal points between 2 riders at the end of Openfree the winner is decided by comparing the greatest number of sections without footing in the zones (bonus 10 point sections), then sections with 1 foot etc…

Article 13-2 the classification of an OpenFree trials series will be made by the accruing of points acquired in all Openfree trials attended by the rider. Example: A rider who marks 1230 pts on Trial 1, marks 1450 points on Trial 2, Total points will adds up 2680 for the series.

Translated French-English from The 2007 French OpenFree Series Rules, by Paul Arnott 5/7/07.

Return to “News article discussion”