Southern Qld Trials Assoc. (SQTA)

Comments and discussions on front page news articles.

Moderator: Moderators

lewry family
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Southern Qld Trials Assoc. (SQTA)

Postby lewry family » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Very interesting comments Chris.

It's good that you have clarified what has happened in UK. Maybe we can learn from this.
The last thing trials in Australia needs is a division between clubs and riders. (This would totally oppose the hard working endeavours to promote the sport.)

Lewry Family

Trials.......the family sport

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Chris Leighfield wrote:Motorcycling can do without years of fighting between two organisations both with the same aim - to further the sport of motorcycling.
lewry family wrote:The last thing trials in Australia needs is a division between clubs and riders. (This would totally oppose the hard working endeavours to promote the sport.)
Well said Chris & Maree =D> Lets hope sanity prevails !!!

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:57 pm

The last thing that SQTA is trying to do is divide riders in the sport we all love and I must reiterate that our intentions were to provide a cheaper way to enter trials without sacrificing quality or safety. Chris Leighfield is spot on when he cites the example of the ACU and the AMCA in the UK, the AMCA was formed to help beginners and novices learn the sport at a cheap price and was initially scoffed at by the ACU, now 60 years later both organisations work together and there's a place for both.
At SQTA we are expecting to attract a number of ex riders who have left the sport for one reason or another and have a simple way back in without any excess cost.
We also expect to attract the family man with a couple of kids who can see if they like the sport, cheaply and progress from there as they gain experience.
A number of the foundation members are older riders who are sick of over regulation and formality and are happy to be involved in an organisation that is committed to keep things simple.
We'll keep everyone informed of our progress.
Fanticman (AKA Twinshock)

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Don’t you just love conspiracy theories?

Let’s get real here. How a group of 50 riders made up of 50% returnees and others on the verge of throwing the towel in could possibly be seen as a threat to the governing body is beyond me. As for the threat of sanctions, maybe they want to flex their collective muscle, which is their decision in the end, but they haven’t baulked at cashing the other unaffiliated clubs riders license and rider levy cheques over the past couple of decades and it would seem a little hypocritical to start now me thinks.

Let’s face it, they are profit making organisations taking full advantage of the Not For Profit Organisations that we are all members of and help fund. Just ask your Treasurers what percentage of “your” turnover goes to them and if it is less than 50% I’ll do a mono buck naked down Queen Street at peak hour.

SQTA, as a bone fide fully insured Incorporated Association registered with the Queensland Government, is only after a fair go and we are targeting the rider &, in many cases, their families who have left the sport or are seriously considering doing so due to the regulation and costs. We may be the cheapest form of motorsport but have any of you noticed our ranks swelling over the past decade? I certainly haven’t. I could start down the path of how our cashed up governing bodies have been spending our money proactively promoting our sport in the past but discretion warns me otherwise. We have just recognised that if it hasn’t happened by now it isn’t likely to happen any time soon.

On top of all that the affiliated clubs are being continually hampered by a lack of willing people volunteering to become officials with the ultimate Catch 22 being that our governing bodies won’t allow us to run events without them. Surely that in itself should be ringing alarm bells in every trials club around Australia more so than the airplay our insignificant venture is attracting.

SQTA is not twisting any arms or kidnapping riders from affiliated clubs to gain members. It is puerly a direct response to some, but not all, of the points briefly touched upon above. We are trying something different in an attempt to give our beloved sport and our Members some longevity and if we are going to be labeled renegades and punished for it then I guess so be it.

President
SQTA

"The older I get the better I was"

rednut08
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Scorpa 4 stroke
Club: LRMTC

Postby rednut08 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 pm

to all those who are worried bout MA getting jealous and suspending your license i have a question, what does it matter? the SQTA plans on running 10 events a year, thats plenty of riding. most of the people joining the club are clubman and c grade riders who cant compete in titles events anyways, so what are u actually missing out on??

its possible that im missing the point, i mean 10 events is more then i get to ride in a year, so if MA decides they want to spite me cause i just want to ride then so be it, in the end its only hurting them

REDDS
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby REDDS » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 pm

I was interested to read the above comments and would like to take this
opportunity to add mine.
I started riding trials when i was eight, and like many i had that break while
raising a family and establishing a career. Six years ago i was at the stage
where i had more time on my hands so i decided to look into trials again and
was surprised to see that Brisbane had four clubs. I made some phone calls,
found when the next trial was on and off i went. I was hooked agsin and could
not wait to get a bike. Over the years i have ridden many trials run by all four
clubs which i have always found to be run to the highest standard of safety with
professional catering for all grades.

I was surprised to hear of the possibility of a new club being formed especially
in light that NDMCC was already experiencing difficulties finding people to help
with running events. It is also interesting to see so many faces in the photo
that belong to LRMCC and i hope that this will not see that club following the
same path as NDMCC.

One of the reasons given, by a founding member, for forming this club is that
there is very little help at working bees and the like. Something which i find
interesting when LRMCC had, i thought, one of the strictest views on this with
working bee groups prearranged well in advance. Firstly, this is the same for all
clubs not just trials, and is a fact we have to get over that and accept.
Secondly cost of running a trial & memberships, this is an issue that could have
been tackled by all four clubs working together as thereis more power as a large
group. It is a shame that there was no opportunity for this to happen.

Finally, what has happened to loyalty? This is the issue that upsets me the most.
I was under the impression that when something happens to a member of the trials
community, as has in the past, all clubs rally together to help out where we can
in much the same way as a large family does.

It is such a shame. I feel sorry for LRMCC

Robert Eyres

trialfan
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Tenaci-Wong
Club: LRMTC and SQTA

Postby trialfan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:15 am

Hello all
Just to reduce Robert's concerns ,Logan River Mototrials Club is alive and well and will continue to put on well organised events for many years to come . A lot of those faces in the photo have not been in trials for quite a few years ( it's good to see them back on trialsbikes ).It takes more than one or two people to run any club effectively and Logan River has about another 150 members that I am sure will sep up when their club needs them .
Happy trialing
Regards Owen Norton

MAKE THE MOST OF THE TIME YOU HAVE.
ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Owen
I like your signature. I have lived by similar mottos for years;
"Enjoy life while you still have it" and "Maximum fun per minute" - both became important to me after experiencing how fleeting and tenuous our hold on life is.
Regards
David Lahey

relax, nothing is under control

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks for your kind words of support Robert but Logan River doesn’t need yours or anybody else’s sympathy as it will continue to set the standard as it has done for the past 32 years and go from strength to strength. Two member’s decisions to not contest next year’s Executive Elections will hardy be any more damaging than any other year when there is a changing of the guard. In fact one of those very members who you sit with now on the Trials Sub Committee was unanimously voted last week by both the MQ Executive Council and Sub Committee to remain in his position unchanged. I’m flattered to think that you hold our two positions in such high regard though, thanks.
Logan River is blessed with what I now consider an abundance of motivated members that have all done their bit in keeping it at the pointy end of the sport in S E Qld and your comments to the contrary could easily be construed as a cheap attempt to undermine confidence in the club to attract more members to your club. Bad move. On top of all that, all of the Logan River splinter group, for want of a better word, are remaining financial members and intend continuing to contribute albeit not as involved as in the past. There is no denying that this new venture was spawned by many Logan River campfires discussions but if you look closely at the photo you will also notice just as many new faces so that can’t be a bad thing for the sport can it now?
As for you final comment regarding loyalty, I got it right between the eyes thank you, but I’m a little confused as to where that loyalty is supposed to be directed. Are you suggesting that I/we should remain loyal to Logan, to MQ or is it loyalty to the trials community in general. We aren’t turning into lepers nor splitting from the trials community only MQ and consider that we may actually be doing something good for our struggling sport by contributing to its longevity especially now that NDTC appears to have been read it last rites!
In summary, don’t underestimate Logan River or its members as it is alive and well and will remain a force to be reckoned with for decades to come.

"The older I get the better I was"

REDDS
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby REDDS » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:40 pm

I think you have misunderstood me and my intentions

Robert Eyres

Return to “News article discussion”