SURVIVORS OF COOTAMUNDRA 3 DAY TRIALS

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

billy
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: muchos motos

Re: SURVIVORS OF COOTAMUNDRA 3 DAY TRIALS

Postby billy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:39 pm

Attached is program from 1977.

Cover b.pdf
(213.99 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

p01.pdf
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

p07.pdf
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

p08.pdf
(35.09 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

p09.pdf
(15.37 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

p10.pdf
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Does anyone have other results?

B Grade
6. Greg Bostock

ps. can these attachments be viewed in the post?

Old trials riders never die ......... their rocks just get smaller.

Trev
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Trev » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:20 am

Here are the full results for the 1979 Cootamundra Easter Three Day Trial.
I'll get the 1976 and 1977 results ready in the next couple of days.
Happy to hear if I have any names spelt incorrectly.
Attachments
Cootamundra Three Day Easter 1979.xls
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Trev

you can't live in the past.............
but it's great having been there !

SQUAT 405
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: beta 13 factort 300
Club: S.Q.t.A.

Postby SQUAT 405 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Howdy yall ,,,I was a survivor of one of the hardest trials ive finished except for the Rob Edwards invitation at Meani my first go at the sport !!!! It was tough 79 was the year,,, On the first day up in the top section I crashed the Rathmell Montesa and holed the tank dumping all the fuel straight on the motor the steam plum rose 30 feet straight up lucky it didn't explode ,,,, end of day one. right there,,, Back to town got a fibreglass repair kit from the local garage and tried to fix it ,,,,the kit was so old and it was so cold it didn't go off so we put in front of an electric heater all night in the caravan ,, next day it was still tacky and soft filled it with fuel and set off again it wasn't long before it was leaking all over the place,,,, rubbed some surfboard wax all over it to try to stop the fuel leak,,, that seemed to work for a while,,,end of day two,,, Was so stuffed on day three just crashed fortunately didn't burn,,,that was one of my first runs in A grade what an intro ,,,could only get better from there,, but was so keen just to finish the trial and say ive ridden at a Cootamundra three day,,,,

Peter Paice
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Yamaha

Postby Peter Paice » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey Squat, commiserations but these are the stories of woe that are all too common, but interesting to read. Anyone who rode Cootamundra mountain 'The Beast' and had no problems was not really there. Didn't matter whether you were C or A grader, you left skin, metal or fibreglass behind. On a sunny day you can see the glints of these fragments and hear the mountain laughing. It may seem a romantic notion to wax lyrical about Cootamundra, but I don't recall another venue ever being so dramatic, including 20 years of trials that I rode. The Scottish Six Days Trial almost comes close. Menai trials area obviously left its own scars.

I would really like to read more stories like Squat's... Thanks for sharing, Peter Paice

Trev
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Trev » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 am

OK folks, as promised, please see the attached results from the 1976 and 1977 Cootamundra Easter Three Day Trial.
Please feel free to contact me with the first names of the riders I only have an initial for.
I'm also chasing up results, and Team members, for the Trans Tasman (now Oceania) Trials. The 1977 results for Cootamundra were Rounds 3, 4, and 5 of the 1977 Trans Tasman. Round 1 was at Wagga (Wagga) on Saturday April 2nd, Round 2 was at Hay on Sunday April 3rd.
I also rode a Three Day Trial at Mittagong on 25-27 April 1975.
The only other Three Day Trials I've ridden were the New Zealand Trials Championships on October 25-27 1980, and October 24-26 2015, and the Kaikoura Three Day Trial on 3-5 June 2006.
Attachments
Cootamundra Three Day Easter 1977.xls
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Cootamundra Three Day Easter 1976.xls
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

Trev

billy
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: muchos motos

Postby billy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Trev wrote:I'm also chasing up results, and Team members, for the Trans Tasman (now Oceania) Trials. The 1977 results for Cootamundra were Rounds 3, 4, and 5 of the 1977 Trans Tasman. Round 1 was at Wagga (Wagga) on Saturday April 2nd, Round 2 was at Hay on Sunday April 3rd.

Attached is the complete program from the 1977 Trans Tasman Trial Series including the Aussie and Kiwi team members, full entrant lists for all three events; Wagga Wagga, Hay & Cootamundra. I don't have the results from Round 1 or 2 though.

1977 Trans Tasman Series - Pt 1.pdf
(213.99 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

1977 Trans Tasman Series - Pt 2.pdf
(136.28 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

1977 Trans Tasman Series - Pt 3.pdf
(145.91 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

Old trials riders never die ......... their rocks just get smaller.

Trev
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Trev » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Here is the list of the riders that were in the 1975 Cootamundra Three Day Trial programme.
I've contacted Jan and Eddie Collingridge to see if they can fill any of the missing first names.
Cootamundra Three Day Easter 1975.pdf
(57.39 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

Trev

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks Billy and Trevor
Part 3 lists Leo Vandevorst in A grade from club NDMCTC, NSW. I'm pretty sure that this is the same Leo Vandevorst I used to ride trials with in the Northern Districts Motor Cycle Trials Club, based in Brisbane. Maybe Leo lived in NSW in 1977. When I knew him, Leo had a TY175C then a new Sherpa T 1976 model. I can still see in my mind the first time Leo's girlfriend (with waist length, flowing blonde hair) (hello Karen) had a go at riding Leo's TY175 on her own, that hair streaming back in the breeze as she quickly gained unwanted speed, as so many first-time riders do
Other riders on that entrant list I remember from that time in Brisbane were David Goldsmith and Glen Fuller. David still rides trials nowadays and is still amazing to watch but I haven't seen Glen since the mid 1970s, and didn't even know he rode trials until I saw this programme. Every time I saw him back then, he was on a Bultaco Frontera (the NDMCTC was a Trials and Enduro club)
Later on the club name changed to NDMTC

relax, nothing is under control

aaarating
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby aaarating » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Trev wrote:OK folks, as promised, please see the attached results from the 1976 and 1977 Cootamundra Easter Three Day Trial.
Please feel free to contact me with the first names of the riders I only have an initial for.
I'm also chasing up results, and Team members, for the Trans Tasman (now Oceania) Trials. The 1977 results for Cootamundra were Rounds 3, 4, and 5 of the 1977 Trans Tasman. Round 1 was at Wagga (Wagga) on Saturday April 2nd, Round 2 was at Hay on Sunday April 3rd.
I also rode a Three Day Trial at Mittagong on 25-27 April 1975.
The only other Three Day Trials I've ridden were the New Zealand Trials Championships on October 25-27 1980, and October 24-26 2015, and the Kaikoura Three Day Trial on 3-5 June 2006.

Blast from the past - Thanks for posting the '76 program. Some updates on names and other details I recall. 6 of us were riding for St. George MCC. My mate and I were only 16 so I thought we were in Juniors but we are listed in the Primary class. We had tagged along with my brother and his 3 mates. They would have been 20/21 and all of us were relatively new to the sport but very enthusiastic with varying levels of actual skill and not much common sense! We had a couple of club and interclub competition days under our belts and lots of private practice from Menai and Kurnell days but nothing that could prepare us for Cootamundra! It was where I learnt that the super slow motion speeds of Trials riding could bring on the type of death defying fear naturally present when riding MotoX machines. I recall a great start for me when we rode out from the showground camping spot on the first morning to survey some of the sections my front and rear brake pads detached from their drums about an hour before the start of competition so I was as un confident as a 16 year old newby rider could possibly be. We had some wonderful new product called SuperGlue - except it really wasn't Super and it didn't glue much so I rode 3 days without brakes. If the section involved a near vertical downhill on a granite cliff face I just took 5. I had my share of minor crashes but was cautious enough which I guess helped me survive but wasn't the way to attack a competition like this. Some other riders in our little group were notable for some more spectacular incidents. John Hunter (who had a DNF on day 2) smashed his Montesa fibreglass tank and his handlebars, Michael Kowalski (my mate) nearly desexed himself on the steel fuel tank of his TY when he jammed the throttle open and his machine looked like it was trying to buck him off the saddle and Dave Mattison - who was sensible enough to wear a open face helmet (rather than a cloth cap like we all did) skidded on his back and head a good 20 metres down one of the hillclimb/rock climb sections. Im sure all the other riders had equally trying times such as the nature of the terrain and the difficulty of some sections. Who the hell set them up? They had to be sadistic fiends to come up with some of them. Anyways, here are the details as corrected for posterity: Riding for St. George MCC Primary Class 1976 Cootamundra 3 day trial.
10th Kelvin Wilson - Honda 125 Bials. 13th Ian Bates - Honda 125 Bials. 15th Michael Kowalski - Yamaha TY175. 17th Dave Mattison - Montesa Cota 123. 18th Brett Bates - Montesa Cota 123. DNF John Hunter - Montesa Cota 172.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”