Ty250 project

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

tjay7
Junior participant
Junior participant

Ty250 project

Postby tjay7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi all,

Thought I would post some photos of my ty250 project. Have currently dismantled everything and stripped the frame. The frame is now finished with primer colour and clear coat. Im looking forward to painting the tank and cleaning the rest of the bike up.

Need help with a few items though...
1. What is the best way to strip/polish the motor to remove all of the old corrosion build up?
2. Can anyone recommend some decent rear springs? I am about 75-80kg
3. My forks are pitted and a little corroded, what is the best way to clean these up, or will re chroming hide this?
Attachments
IMG_3633.jpg
IMG_3633.jpg (214.6 KiB) Viewed 19461 times
IMG_3663.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 19461 times
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3662.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 19461 times
IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 19461 times
IMG_3655.jpg
IMG_3655.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 19461 times
IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_3652.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 19461 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Ty250 project

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Re-chroming the fork tubes involves grinding off the old chrome and the steel underneath is ground back enough to take out the rust pits. If the pits are too deep they wont accept them for rechroming.
Springs are usually different dimensions on different shockies, so you may have trouble sourcing different springs for those shocks. If you measure the springs up it will help people help you find some springs. Diameter of wire, ID of coils, free length of spring. New modern trials shocks come with springs and the modern damping in them make the bike much nicer to ride than the shocks that are on it.
Wet abrasive blasting the inner casings and cylinder fins is probably the best to give a durable finish that looks most like the original. Blasting of any sort requires the motor to be completely pulled apart. You can clean up the inner casings with the motor assembled using brushes and solvent.
The outer casings on that motor are magnesium and rare so should be painted with suitable (epoxy) paint inside and outside to avoid corrosion. They can be polished, and look amazing when polished, but require very frequent repolishing to remove the oxide

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:03 pm

Depending on how bad the pitting is on the forks, and if you are making a ride bike or a fancy looking bike, the rust pits may not cause a problem.
If you don't particularly care about cosmetics, sometimes you can just remove any rust that protrudes above the surface of the chrome and live with slightly reduced fork seal life. A decent close-up showing the pitting would help people give advice. I've seen plenty of bikes successfully ridden with pitted fork tubes, and to make the upper ends of the tubes look nice, you can fit thin-walled stainless steel tubing over the fork tubes (between the triple clamps), or paint the tubes in that section

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Blasting the motor is the easy but pricey solution for cleaning it up. You can get a really good (and authentic) finish by using plenty of elbow grease, cleaning solvents, brillo pads, Blitz Aluminium cleaner, that sort of thing. When you've lost a day or two doing that, every time you glance at the bike you'll be able to say..."cor, I did that, no wallets were hurt in the production of". Seriously it can be very satisfying doing work like that rather than just 'paying the man' to do it. (Obviously you need the time, lucky for me I have it, but many people don't).
And as David says, if the outer casings are magnesium they must be painted because the air corrodes magnesium quickly. Satin silver paint, 2k single stage auto paint sprayed straight on (unprimed) super-cleaned 600 grit rubbed or brillo prepped magnesium casings is my tip. Or rattle-can 'wheel silver' looks good but isn't as durable.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:35 am

Hi Tjay7
A few question come to mind when I look at the picture of your frame:
The " bridge " that start at the back of the tool box as been cut, do you know if it's been done lately or it's been like that for a while ? Is the frame still strait ?
There is no gousset between the spot where the top of shock bolt to the frame and the top of the frame ( under the seat ) is the down tube still strait ? Maybe it is because of the way the bracket is welded to the tube.
And I would like to know the length of your shock.
Thank you for the info and maybe some comments from other that have TY with the sane mod.
Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks Guy I didn't notice the missing frame element in that frame until you posted that.
It looks a lot like the Peter Paice Replica TY250 frame I did a few years ago, except the rear uprights have been shortened at their top ends instead of their bottom ends. Cant tell in those photos if the motor has been raised, but it is likely because why else would anyone remove the "toolbox" frame element?
tjay7 do you have any "before" photos of the assembled bike, showing the RH side of the bike?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:53 am

David, I would say that the motor hasn't been raised,it looks standard height to me. The upper rear shock mounts have been moved down a long way,further than a Majesty by the look of it and there is no stiffening triangle as per the Majesty. I can't see much point in cutting out the toolbox section like that,wonder what the reason was ?
I have yet another 250 frame in to do most of the Majesty mods on, must find some time to get on with it...

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 am

Another one John?
How many have you done?
I did 2, one to test if I had it wright and another one that I use that have matching frame and motor number. I don't care what people say, I find them nicer to ride than the original.
One last thing. Maybe it is the angle that the complete bike picture was taken but the steering angle look steeper than stock to me.
Guy

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:08 am

I can't remember ! Think its 4 now,I have one spare frame left which I might use to convert my ratty 250 with. Trouble is it will cost me £350 for a nice new petrol tank.Here is a link to the photo's I took when I was first playing around with them,hope it might help;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1091714388 ... 2895411650

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 pm

I remember looking at them, your jig is built so the frame is upside down mine is the other way around, and you rest the frame on an angle piece so you know immediately if that part of the frame is straight. I have checked the price of those tank Heuuu... a little expensive for me as I am incline to drop the bike where ever there is a rock. As you and David follow this post, and I think you both have been on a " real " Majesty " , is there a lot off difference between the one that you built and the original ?

Guy

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”