Sammy Miller tank mounting?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Sammy Miller tank mounting?

Postby Jools » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

My cute 'new' TY175 has the fibreglass Sammy Miller tank/seat unit.
Can anyone tell me how the rear of the unit is supposed to be mounted to the frame?
I've sorted the front rubber mounts easy, but I can't see any obvious attachment at the rear.
-Jools

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Re: Sammy Miller tank mounting?

Postby eagle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 pm

The 1 i got for my TLR & all the other 1s i've seen you put a bolt through the rear mudguard, didn't it come with fitting instructions?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

It just uses the single bolt fixing at the rear of the tank/front of the seat. The seat then just bears down on the two frame rails. It works well and mine was fine until the Ethanol ate the petrol tank. :(

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Richard of Sammy's outfit has told me that, as you say Jon, there should be a captive nut in the seatbase moulding for a bolt through the mudguard. Mine is missing. Easy fix, job as good as done. THX Jon.
He also said that the tank/seat units were moulded using vinyl ester resin. This is the best resin for a petrol tank. We're lucky in Oz that we have petrol without ethanol additives. The vinyl ester should be good. I do need to do a minor tank repair, so I'll crack on to my ol' RC Aircraft mates to get some Derakane! -(vinyl ester resin, -it used to make super, light, strong RC fuselages)
Jools
(And while I'm at it I should drag a slope-soarer out and give it a buzz!) :wink:

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 am

Sounds like a good plan you have there. I don't know what my Miller tank was made of as it was already fitted to the bike when I bought it back in 2006. I think they have changed material since mine was made. Shame it got wrecked,it was even signed by Mick Andrews when he rode it at one of our training days.
Not only did the tank bubble up and start leaking,it also gummed up the carb,making the float needle and slide stick - also blocked the pilot jet. Are you sure you don't have Ethanol in your fuel there ? When I was out with my brother in WA last year he was talking about fuel problems in chainsaws and with his Putt Putt boat which has a twin cyl Stuart Turner motor. I'm using an Alkylate petrol from Aspen in all my bikes and saws etc. Great stuff, but very expensive.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 am

We currently have the choice of using petrol with ethanol or without.
There are usually four grades of bowser petrol available at fuel stations. The one with ethanol and 85 RON is usually the cheapest. Next is 85 RON without ethanol. Next is 95 RON without ethanol, which many common cars need. Next is 98 RON without ethanol, which is what most people use in their competition motor bikes.
There is political pressure from the sugar cane farming lobby to increase the usage of ethanol as fuel, but at the moment there is a 10% limit, and the supplier has to declare if the fuel contains ethanol or not.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”