TY250 Noise from Motor ??

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

TY250 Noise from Motor ??

Postby Stanm » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi Folks
I did a crank in My ty2650E and pulled it down and put in a new crank.

Ever since there is like a slight tooth mesh noise when I hit a big obstical and put a load on the back wheel/gearbox. The bike is in first gear.
It Makes this gear noise for maybe 2 seconds. Does not seem to loose drive. Only does it on bigger obstical.

I thought it was the kick starter gear ratchet engaging.( Similar type of noise). So I thightened it's spring a bit.
Tested the clutch in high gear and it seems all good.

Anyone had a similar experience?? Seems I may have done something wrong with the gearbox assembly

Any suggestions before strip the motor?

Cheers

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY250 Noise from Motor ??

Postby David Lahey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:54 pm

possibles that spring to mind
kickstart lever moving away from the stop as you hit the obstacle
drive chain too tight combined with swingarm bush wear
clutch basket nut loose
loose motor mount bolt
loose bashplate bolts
tyre rubbing on something on full compression
chain rubbing on something on full compression

relax, nothing is under control

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi David

possibles that spring to mind
kickstart lever moving away from the stop as you hit the obstacle -I have tied this up so the lever does not move and it still make the noise. I have taken it in and out 3 times and increased the spring tension a bit with not success
drive chain too tight combined with swingarm bush wear - the chain is not really tight. Swing arm bushes OK.
clutch basket nut loose - Check last night had the basket off and smoothed up basket marks - Nut was tight
loose motor mount bolt- It is a definite noise from inside the motor. I mostly keep an eye on the mounts. I have had a few cracked mounts from not keeping the mounts tight.
loose bashplate bolts - Wishs it was that simple
tire rubbing on something on full compression - Fallen for that before . No its definite motor internal noise. Few guys observed today while I demonstrated the noise.
chain rubbing on something on full compression _ dont thinks so but if I discover this is correct after I do a motor rebuild I probably wont say!!!

Hey David thank for your ideas. I still think it could be something to do with the kick starter but I think I am clutching at straws not wanting to do a rebuild.

Cheers

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Have you used a mechanics stethoscope on it, you should be able to pinpoint it to almost the exact area as it will be probably be there all the time, if not you can put some load on it or simulate the situation , the scopes are quite cheap, even $5 on ebay

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Hi Pop
Yes it is worth a try with a stethascope. I will try it.
I was actually looking at buying a blood pressure cuff to stuff into the tank and try push out a dent in the TY aluminium tank.
There was a kit with a stethoscope and a cuff on ebay. More reason to buy it now.
However it may be hard to similate the noise as it is a pretty big jolt the triggers the noise.
I will let you know what i find.
thanks

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Stanm wrote:I was actually looking at buying a blood pressure cuff to stuff into the tank and try push out a dent in the TY aluminium tank

That sounds like an interesting technique

relax, nothing is under control

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:39 am

Stanm wrote:Hi Pop
Yes it is worth a try with a stethascope. I will try it.
I was actually looking at buying a blood pressure cuff to stuff into the tank and try push out a dent in the TY aluminium tank.
There was a kit with a stethoscope and a cuff on ebay. More reason to buy it now.
However it may be hard to similate the noise as it is a pretty big jolt the triggers the noise.
I will let you know what i find.
thanks

:lol: :lol: Mechanics stethoscope not medical stethoscope. I did discover your problem, its the bash plate hitting a rock.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:27 pm

I will confess to attempting the blood pressure cuff technique to remove a dent from my steel TY250A tank. Shall we just say that your welcome to the remnants of the cuff, if you are handy with plastic welding. Tank-1 .... Cuff-0.

Alastair.

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Har har, there's a few other solutions to this one... My mate Mucker (old school) reckons:
Put a little petroleum in it, plug the outlet hole, place the tank just around a corner, light the welding torch and, reaching around the corner, apply the flame into the filler hole - (peeping just around the corner mind) and...
BOOOFFF!!! (Then collect the remnants and get onto ebay to look for a replacement tank).

The next one is:
plug the filler cap breather hole and screw the cap on. Make a nice little rubber seal for the petrol tap orifice, pump up the compressor, apply the air to the outlet hole and see how many tank seams you can split! (Boingg!)

:lol:

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sun May 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Tat ty -- I had imagined what you experienced happening . Blowing up the cuff. I think I will give the cuff a miss now. thanks

This dent in the tank is a tough one. I carved a wooden insert to go where the frame goes and so when you pump it up with air it does not expand into that cavity. I then put it in a wood vice to stop the tank expanding out wards.

I made it up to about 40 PSI but was to scared to go an higher. I had some success tapping around dents strategically with a hammer to help them pop while it was under pressure.

Maybe I should try the hot/ cold spray method with the air pressure.??

I also tried gluing a 60mmx30mm plate with stud with resin with some success. I will probably give this another go as it is much safer than the pressure.

Cheers

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”