Don Smith Article

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

whitehillbilly
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Greeves
Club: SQTA

Don Smith Article

Postby whitehillbilly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:40 am

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Re: Don Smith Article

Postby ianrogers » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:19 am

Nice one Shane.
I was a bit of an admirer myself having acquired my first sponsored ride on the first KT250 to arrive at Midway Kawasaki on the Gold Coast in 1975. Alas it wasn't a patch on the TY's but it sure looked the goods as they still do today. I still have his book in my book case as well.

"The older I get the better I was"

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Re: Don Smith Article

Postby Joe Henderson » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi Ian and Shane,

I too have fond memories of Don Smith.

One of the best is while he was having one of his on again, off again, love-hate relationships with Sammy Miller ( Don loved to wind him up, and was probably the only one around at the time with the cheek, nerve and ability to do it!).

It was in one of the chalk pit sections during the isle of Wight two day, in about 1973/4 I suppose, and Don was perched on a chalk bank watching a few riders through a steep-ish section when Sam took his turn. Somehow Sam had selected the wrong gear and the light blue 325 he was riding just died on the climb.

Don piped up, loud as buggery with " That will teach you to have it in the right gear, Hamilton!"

Everyone heard it and it was the first time I realised that Sam's second name was Hamilton. Don used it all the time, just to needle him. Sam was not happy!

I loved Dons two books as well and anyone interested in this side of Don should have a look at the thread on the Trials Central website in the forums section under "anything Goes" titled " Don Smith, Steve Saunders and John Hulme."

You may find it enlightening and it may give you an insight into modern niche publishing.

All the best,

Joe Henderson.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”