Restoring Magnesium Hubs.

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Restoring Magnesium Hubs.

Postby Rod » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Starting to strip down an old Cota 349/350, the wheel hubs need re coating amongst other things, such as head/barrel and engine cases. I'm starting with the magnesium hubs, how should I go about this.... Sand blast, bead blast, any other blast? and what would people recommend for a tough/durable finish, paint or powder-coat? Satin or matt black would be my choice for a final finish, I'm thinking satin but you never really know until the jobs done and then it's too late to change your mind. Cheers.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Restoring Magnesium Hubs.

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:04 pm

If you are painting the hubs do you need to blast at all?
I usually use paint stripper on the painted part, machine the brake drum surface and paint the outside with either epoxy enamel or acrylic lacquer. Brake drums don't usually get hit with anything so super-tough coatings are not really needed and the thinner the coating the better the drum will be at getting rid of heat
If the hubs are corroded then either bead blast or hydrablast would be suitable after stripping the remaining paint off
Satin black would look original on a 1980s Montesa

relax, nothing is under control

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:37 pm

I hadn't given paint stripper much consideration, thought I'd need some sort of blasting to remove the original factory coating. I'll give it a go.

RL250
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: RL250 TE250

Postby RL250 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:33 pm

I restored a set of magnesium wheels, the beast solution is to get them wet blasted as its non abrasive like dry blasting with a superior finish.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Postby Kombivan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 am

if they are the black hubs you might consider ditching them and getting older hubs pre 1980 from a 247 or 348/9 and respoke the wheel with new spokes. as the black ones break more easily.

Gomey
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Honda RTL
Club: SQTA/LRMTC

Postby Gomey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:14 am

I would use vapour blasting as magnesium is very soft. Make sure to check on if an etch primer or some kind of chemical treatment is needed for magnesium to help the paint stick and to stop it corroding under the paint.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”