TY 250 Paint help

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

TY 250 Paint help

Postby llewdaert » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

I want to paint a TY 250 A tank. Is there any advice in the forum?
What colour rattle can, or am I better off using a spraygun?
What colour codes please?
Is Holden HX absinth yellow the best /closest yellow-and has anyone determined the "tober pearl" modern paint match
Thanks in advance
James

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY 250 Paint help

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 am

A friend of mine just painted a TY250A and the colours look pretty good but he might not read these forums so I'll ask him for details
Attachments
DSC_0050_2.jpg
DSC_0050_2.jpg (787.8 KiB) Viewed 12746 times

relax, nothing is under control

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:09 am

Thankyou David....

David Lahey wrote:A friend of mine just painted a TY250A and the colours look pretty good but he might not read these forums so I'll ask him for details

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm

I once bought a restored A model tank from Don Rule. It was a great paint Job. David may know how to contact him.

Alastair

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm

My friend told me he took a sidecover and a mudguard to a paint shop and they mixed up the paint colours for him, but there was no paint codes written on the cans when he got them.
I haven't heard from or seen Don Rule since the TY Challenge in 2016 where he had some amazing looking TYs.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 am

I recall that Don Rule had had the tank professionally painted.

A friend of mine (signwriter by trade) who has built and custom painted quite a few bikes, said to me that the "pearl" in the Toba Pearl Is applied in the final coat prior to the application of the clear coats.

I guess this means if you want it to look truly authentic, then it's not a home job.

Alastair.

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 am

Thankyou for your help,
I want the paint to be as good as I can make it, myself -using either a rattle can or spraying with a gun in my shed. I have a spraygun and compressor, but previously found it to be significant bother, and would prefer to do the best I can with rattle can. I may not have the luxury of that choice.............?
Investing excessive time and money[especially on the cosmetics] makes me reluctant to use the machine[but we all like our bikes to look sharp!]. So professional painting is [at this stage] is not where I am heading, and I am prepared to accept some unavoidable variation from authentic.
Perhaps I should have expanded on what i am after in the original post.

In addition I want information on the actual layout of the colours. I have two A model tanks, neither has a scrap of the original colour or layout left.

Thanks to all who have replied

tat ty wrote:I recall that Don Rule had had the tank professionally painted.

A friend of mine (signwriter by trade) who has built and custom painted quite a few bikes, said to me that the "pearl" in the Toba Pearl Is applied in the final coat prior to the application of the clear coats.

I guess this means if you want it to look truly authentic, then it's not a home job.

Alastair.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 am

This is my A model with original tank paint to show where the colour split goes.
The yellow on the A model is the same colour as the yellow on the B model.
Maybe there's a paint shop near you that can use a colour scan from another paint shop, so someone with the original yellow colour sample can get it scanned for you where they live and your paint shop can use that info somehow to make you up a rattle can.
You can get two-pack and acrylic lacquer colour matched paint in a rattle can at paint shops. My friend's TY250A was done with two pack rattle cans.
I painted a TY175C tank for a friend using paint shop colour matched rattle cans of acrylic lacquer and it looked great.
Attachments
IMAG4372.jpg
IMAG4372.jpg (826.27 KiB) Viewed 12459 times

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:01 pm

The yellow is called Yamaha Competition Yellow.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

James, I recently bought rattle cans for the frame of my DR650 from BCS AUTO PAINTS in Revesby NSW. It was a good experience.

I notice on their web site that they also supply the pearl coat.

I got confused with the ordering system under "motorcycle paints" but think it indicated the availability of Toba Pearl. I didn't explore Competition Yellow but it's very common.

There's a freecall phone number.

Let us all know how you go.

Alastair

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”