Cota349 Shop Manual/articles needed

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

OregonTYist
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250A

Re: Cota349 Shop Manual/articles needed

Postby OregonTYist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 am

Thank you again David. Next we are thinking about the conrod and wrist pin set up. Any enlightened ideas on this? Here’s what we have/know so far. Thanks in advance.

https://instagram.com/p/BfBhfZzjFKc/

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm

OregonTYist wrote:Thank you again David. Next we are thinking about the conrod and wrist pin set up. Any enlightened ideas on this? Here’s what we have/know so far. Thanks in advance.

https://instagram.com/p/BfBhfZzjFKc/

Looks like a normal setup to me. What are you concerned about?

relax, nothing is under control

OregonTYist
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby OregonTYist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm

When I took the piston off, the shims fell out and I did not see how they were fitted. The 2 parts diagrams 348-349 have different shim configurations and a different thickness option. What ought to be the correct clearances and shim locations. Or are shims’ configuration only supposed to be like in my photo with no clearance issue?
Thank you.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm

OregonTYist wrote:When I took the piston off, the shims fell out and I did not see how they were fitted. The 2 parts diagrams 348-349 have different shim configurations and a different thickness option. What ought to be the correct clearances and shim locations. Or are shims’ configuration only supposed to be like in my photo with no clearance issue?
Thank you.

I can't tell if your spacers/shims are the same thickness or not. There is normally one shim/spacer on each side. If they are the same thickness it doesn't matter which spacer goes on which side. If they have grooves in one face put the grooves on the bearing cage side. As I said earlier on, the purpose of those spacers is to hold the conrod in the middle. Most engines use spacer/shims on the the big end pin to hold the rod in the middle, but 348s normally use spacers on the little end. If you are re-using the same parts you don't need to measure anything. If you are using a different piston or fitting a new conrod or both, you will need to set the side clearance using spacers/shims to suit the new parts. I don't know what the factory recommends, but I would think about 0.5mm would be a suitable clearance for there.

OregonTYist
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby OregonTYist » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Made a puller today to help us split the cases. It was a challenge getting a splitter that had the 7mm bolts. So we fabricated a puller using 7mm threaded rod and a strip of steel. Before we do the split, still need to remove the shift and kicker assemblies. Any pointers on this operation ?
Thanks
Here are the shifter and kicker mechanisms.

https://instagram.com/p/BfH22s9jhXs/

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm

I don't know what you mean by kicker assembly.
I can't remember if there are case screws behind the shift mechanism. If it was me I would take everything off.
You should definitely take off the star shaped cam so the casing can slide off the shift drum.

OregonTYist
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby OregonTYist » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi fellows.
Our clutch basket seems very dirty and in need of some help. It is also unable to press the plates so as to unload the plates to remove the pins . Wondering too if there is a safe way to remove the spring retainers on the outside of the clutch basket so as to reuse them?
Also, any specs on the plates and what to look for in terms of wear or warpage?
Thank you.
The 349 clutch:
https://instagram.com/p/BfcRoTUDvnW/

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”