Ty250 d

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

bones1959
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1998 beta techno

Ty250 d

Postby bones1959 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:18 am

I think ???? its a duck egg blue colour,so im not sure what it is.But it needs a bit of attention ,new seat tyres and a general clean up.Are they any good ,pro's con's It is really cheap under a grand but it hasn't started in 7yrs.Is is that a worry .
Thanks for your time

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Ty250 d

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Nothing particular to worry about on a TY250D. Yes duck egg blue tank is aussie TY250D. All the twinshock TY250s are a solid reliable thing. Any bike sitting that long could be susceptible to some issues. If you can't hear it running and ride it through the gears yes it should definitely be less than $1000.
Motor not turned over for years can mean corrosion of the bottom end bearings. Crank seals might have gone hard but they are easy and cheap to replace.
If you can, check that it shifts gears OK because there are some parts in the shift mechanism that I've seen broken on a few twinshock TY250s. It needs an decent impact on the shift lever to do the damage.
They were popular for good reasons in the mid 1970s and are still popular now in twinshock trials competition. They are well supported with popular aftermarket parts like seats, mudguards and exhausts

relax, nothing is under control

bones1959
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1998 beta techno

Postby bones1959 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks, one more thing can you still get the D registered, as my last TY was regoed :?: :?:

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 am

bones1959 wrote:Thanks, one more thing can you still get the D registered, as my last TY was regoed :?: :?:

The D did not come new with an ADR plate, but there are provisions for getting full road rego for old bikes that don't have ADR plates.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”