Brief guide for setting points timing on TY

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Brief guide for setting points timing on TY

Postby David Lahey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 pm

I've been asked for help with setting the ignition timing on TY that has the standard points ignition, using a light bulb. We had some trouble with the messaging so I'm posting it up here.

You will need to gather a light bulb which matches the voltage of the battery you are going to use, wires to connect it all up and two alligator clips to hook it up to the bike. When I use a light bulb for this I use a 12 volt lawnmower battery and a 12V taillight bulb. A few years ago I bought a timing buzzer and use that for the job now. It is easier because I don't have to take the battery out of the lawnmower and also because I don't have the bulb shining in my eyes while I do the other things. Anyway here is the bulb process:

Using a bulb and battery to detect opening and closing of the points:
Identify the wire that runs from the points to the HT coil. Disconnect that wire somewhere between the two. On your TY250 there will probably be a joiner near the front of the airbox. Make a single circuit to light your bulb and which includes the ignition points. To do this connect your light bulb circuit to the bike frame (earth) and the wire that comes from the stator. The bulb brightness should change a little bit when the points open and close.

Setting the points so they open at the right piston position:
The points are supposed to open just before the piston gets to the top. I use a mark on the rim of the flywheel to indicate when the points should start to open. To decide where to put the mark, you need to make a mark on the flywheel rim for when the piston is at the top. You can use something inserted down through the plug hole for this. Once you have the piston exactly at the top, make a mark on the flywheel rim where it lines up with something on the engine casing, like a screw hole.
Then measure anticlockwise around the flywheel rim 22mm and make a second mark. That is your timing mark so when the timing mark lines up with the part of the engine casing you chose before, that is where the points are supposed to open as you rotate the flywheel anti-clockwise.
Adjust the points to get them opening at the right place. On some bikes you move the stator backing plate to get the timing right but on TYs there are no slots for the screws. The gap you get between the points contacts when they are fully open is not critical but should be between 0.2mm and 0.6mm. There is an ideal gap which I think is 0.4mm but you will only get both the timing and the gap right with a brand new cam in the flywheel and new genuine points. It is the timing that is the most important, not the gap.
To make it easy to change the setting on the points, adjust the clamp screw just tight enough so you can still move the points using a screwdriver in the slot but tight enough to that the points won’t move as you move the flywheel. Once you have the setting right, then tighten the clamp screw fully and check the timing again. I always pull the flywheel off and clean the points and lube the cam before I set the timing.
Any questions? I may have missed something

relax, nothing is under control

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Re: Brief guide for setting points timing on TY

Postby Twinshock200 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Nice one David, thanks for the detail, much appreciated.

Pre 65 Classic bikes

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:57 am

Thanks David.

Alastair

Tiggs
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250 twin shock

Postby Tiggs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks David.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:The points are supposed to open just before the piston gets to the top. I use a mark on the rim of the flywheel to indicate when the points should start to open. To decide where to put the mark, you need to make a mark on the flywheel rim for when the piston is at the top. You can use something inserted down through the plug hole for this. Once you have the piston exactly at the top, make a mark on the flywheel rim where it lines up with something on the engine casing, like a screw hole.

Love your work David, here is the :yamaha something to put down the plug hole. Thanks PA, I now have a set.
1565657079841.jpg
1565657079841.jpg (132.1 KiB) Viewed 8494 times

If you are wondering what came inside the :Honda: metal box, M3 x 0.5 camchain adjuster screw with tape on it so I don't loose it. Oh and the :kawasaki pouch contains heavy duty stuff!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:29 am

What no fag-papers?
(Sign of the times eh?)

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Jools wrote:What no fag-papers?
(Sign of the times eh?)

I figure you are probably joking but in case not, fag paper is OK for bikes where you can get at the points easily but TYs are pretty much impossible to get the paper in because you have to rotate the access hole away from the points to get the points open to get the paper in

relax, nothing is under control

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 am

Yep, joking of course D!
Thx for the excellent guide.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”