250 Majesty finally ready to ride

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

250 Majesty finally ready to ride

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm

It's taken a few months to complete but the Majesty is finally ready to ride.
Attachments
17 Mar 2007 005 smaller.JPG
17 Mar 2007 002 smaller.JPG

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:33 am

I am still fuming quietly that this frame left our state without it even being known for sale :(

Anyway, top job David, full marks for presentation!
Has engine mods been done like John Shirt Specs etc?
What are your ride impressions so far?

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:49 am

I'm very familiar with riding TY250 twinshocks and seeing that so many TY250 parts are reused on the Majesty I'll compare them.
The main difference is the rear suspension action. The Majesty takes far less effort to get the bike over obstacles due to the rear suspension travel increase and reduced damping effect (same shockies-more leverage-stiffer springs). The other benefit is better traction on uphill rolling rocks and going over slippery things.
Next to notice is the ergonomics. There is lots of room to move around. I suspect the handlebars are higher relative to the footpegs and may also be a bit further forward relative to the footpegs.
There is more ground clearance under the engine which I notice most riding over obstacles going downhill.
The Majesty is not lighter but does feel lighter to ride due to the improved mass centralisation so it is easier to flick around in the air and takes less effort to ride.
It is a bit easier to balance on due to the low footpegs.
All the other virtues of the TY250 are still there which make both the TY250 and Majesty great to ride ie the motor performance, clutch, brakes and ease of kickstarting.
I'm also familiar with the Cota 348 and reckon the Majesty feels like a 348 would feel if fitted with a TY250 motor and lowered footpegs.
The motor is a TY250D with the only engine modifications being the removal of the steel band from the flywheel and rejetting of the carby. I don't see any need to big-bore the motor or change the compression, porting etc as it goes like a dream already.

Pitley
Junior participant
Junior participant

Majesty

Postby Pitley » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:48 pm

Nice Majesty David
What gearing you using on the final drive?
I ride a Mk2 godden Majesty 250 and run 10, 42 gearing.
I am looking to go up 2 teeth on the rear to make use of more gears,like over here we get some serious mud climb sections, so i need a taller gear for these conditions,plus the fact i dont want the expence of building a 320 motor, being a tight fisted pom! :lol:
Cheers Andy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Andy
I'm using 12/53 gearing which is about the same ratio as 10/44. It's pretty rare to use second or third in a section here unless there is a big hillclimb as sections are mostly dry, grippy and tight.
David

restoremaz
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby restoremaz » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:33 pm

Well done David, looks good :thumb:

TY80 a model side cover and air box tube wanted.

My videos www.youtube.com/restoremaz

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”