TY 250 Improvements

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: TY 250 Improvements

Postby Stanm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:08 am

David
At the moment I have TY bits everywhere and all I seem to be doing is working on them so yes some more riding would be good. On Saturday OMCC did a Demo at the Boronia Exteme motor show so we did some riding there. My son Zachary got a rid in the buggy and scared the crap out of him. If you Go to http://oakleighmcc.com/ there is some video.

Well my TY 250A side stand (on the frame) has survived quite well considering the amount of crashes I have had. I will leave the side stand on the swing arm for the moment so yes please post the photo.

Mark, I will bring down the spare chain tensioner just in case yours doesn't arrive in time and will definetly do some practice on Friday
Cheers

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:21 am

Guys
I just checked and Samuel has not put the videos on yet so give it a day or so.

Regards
Stan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Stanm wrote:David
Well my TY 250A side stand (on the frame) has survived quite well considering the amount of crashes I have had. I will leave the side stand on the swing arm for the moment so yes please post the photo.
Attachments
21 Mar 2008 download 040 smaller.jpg
21 Mar 2008 download 039 smaller.jpg

relax, nothing is under control

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi Again
David thanks for the picture of the sidestand. I have a few more of the basics to sort out on the E but had my first ride on it on the weekend. Yeh they have a nicer motor.
I will post a few a picture of it soon but for now I had an issue with the chain starting to derail. So my questio. Is it the A&B only that are supposed to have the offset rear sprocket and where is the best spot to get aluminium rear sprockets? I think I will go for 520 not the original 428. (My local shop was no help)

regards

Stan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:37 pm

All the TY250 twinshocks came with the same aluminium dished 53 tooth 428 sprocket.
Sprockets for the TY250 in both 520 and 428 chain sizes are available from Talon in the UK, John Cane in the UK and B&J Racing in the US.

The Australian Talon importer is John Titman Wholesale at Birkdale, Brisbane. I buy my unusual rear sprockets (OSSA, Montesa, KT250) from them through Gladstone Motorcycles and usually send Titmans an old sprocket so they can machine the centre hole and the mounting bolt holes in the right pattern. They can also supply flat sprockets for the TY250 if you want.

If you buy from B&J racing or John Cane, you can usually get what you want off the shelf and won't have to send a sample away as they know all about twinshock TYs.

John Cane
http://www.tytrials.co.uk/

B&J Racing - Bob Ginder
http://www.bjracing.com/

David Lahey

Anthony Drake
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: SY250FR TY250a

Postby Anthony Drake » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 am

Gday all
Stan I have just been through the great sprocket hunt.Eastern MotorCycle Wreckers in Ringwood and ask for Paul.He's TY savy and will machine the old sprocket and supply a new sprocket and chain set in a 428 for about $100.
And thankyou David for all your tips
Regards Drakey

Livin the Dream

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Fri May 02, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks for your comments on sprockets David & Anthony

I have still got the original 428 sprockets on which will be OK for a while, I have found out that if you want steel sprockets the rear one is the same as a SR250 or XL250 (3YI Supersprox available in 43,45,46,49,53) I am going to The UK for work in June So hope to pick up some Alum Sprockets like the ones from TYTrials. Any comment on the quality of these??

Had an issue with the TY250E in that the Michelin Tyre would not stay on the rim. I discovered that the A has a wider rim ( Size not Marked bit) than the E ( 1.85X18) . I swapped over for a TY250A rim I had as a spare. I find it a bit strange that the E had a smaller rim than the A and something for people to be aware of.

regard

Stan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I haven't bought sprockets from Ty Trials (John Cane) but would think any aluminium rear sprocket would be fine for trials riding and John does provide very good service. The aluminium TALON sprockets that I've fitted to a few twinshock trials bikes have been just as long-lasting as the genuine Yamaha dished aluminium rear, as also has the dished yellow TY250 aluminium rear I bought from B&J Racing.

If the E model rear rim is the same type as the C/D rear rim, it is worth finding tyres that will fit it as they are quite a bit lighter than the A or B model rear rims.
I've not had any problem yet fitting IRC tube type and Michelin XII tube type tyres to A, B and D model rear wheels. What type of Michelin tyre was the problem child?

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 pm

David
The tyre is tubless but I have been using them on the TY A for a while with no problems. It stayed on the A rim on the weekend. I had an old Dunlop Tubeless that I put on my TY250 A for practice and it really popped on compared to the Michelin that just eased on under pressure.
What is the difference in the Tube type?? Weight ??Would it punchure easier??. Flex More?? What is the benifit of a tube type?? Or if a tubless stays on Just use it?? Your thoughts?

Regards

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 05, 2008 4:15 pm

I can't pick any difference between the Michelin X11 tubeless and Michelin X11 tube type in performance (with a tube in both of them). A tubeless Michelin X11 without a tube feels better in marginal grip conditions.
The main benefit of using the tube type on an old bike rim is you know they will go on easily and won't jump half off the bead seat at low pressure. If you get one to stay on a particular old rim, that is fine but it doesn't work that way with all old rear rims, Jap or Akront.
I've found Michelin X11 tube type to have gotten harder and harder to find over the past few years so am now using IRC tube type rears which I can buy without hassles at my local motorbike shop and for a lot less $$$ too. Have tried a front IRC on a friends OSSA MAR and they work fine too and no problems with supply.
About the Dunlop rear yes they do really pop on. You should hear them go onto a tubeless rim. I hate fighting tyres when I fit them so try and avoid combining Dunlop rears and old type rims. Dunlops are fine on tubeless rims, you know they are never going to get pushed off the rim by accident!
David

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”