Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Postby sharvie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 am

Johnnysherco wrote:Thanks to everone who has posted pics and articles of their twinshock bikes, and the restoration info and pics. I have enjoyed reading and looking at all the bikes I grew up with.
I have just got my 1981 Montessa 248 running today and made it around the backyard a few times and it is now ready to be put to the test. I know the bike is not to original colours or fully original, but I wanted a few mods to make it a better ride for more fun. The bike has been fully stripped down and all components either bead blasted or hydro blasted and polished. All new bearings and seals fitted to the engine and gearbox, and also wheel bearings and seals. The rear shocks are YSS supplied by Suspensions are us. Handle bars, foot pegs and front guard are Sherco with S3 handle bar clamps.
Cheers

John Hughson

Nice work John, I take it you plan to ride a few events, would be great to see the bike in action.

Steve.

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

BOGWHEEL
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: TCQ

Postby BOGWHEEL » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 pm

The 248 is a rare bird (apparently) Lyle O'brien once told me he only brought about four into Aus.
I found that the standard setup was similar to an Alpina (e.g. gearing). Beautifully smooth motor though.
Sold (gave away) mine a few years back. Still haven't seen it out and about - probably rotting away somewhere. :roll:

Enjoy your ride.

P.S. Also have the YSS shocks on my Sherpa. Only ridden on them in one trial and they felt really good, except the rebound maybe is a tad fast. I wish i could get the front up to the same standard.

ozadvntr
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha
Club: TMCC Life Member, BMCC

Postby ozadvntr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Just completed my TY250D. Stripped and repainted however, the tank was untouched. Engine was honed and not much else done other than a good clean up to all things. I removed the speedo, light switch and mirror. This bike had been registered a long time ago however, it was a long time since it last ran.

Johnnysherco
Dealer
Dealer
Bike: Sherco
Club: OMCC

Postby Johnnysherco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Stu
The YSS shocks were set up by Izzy from Suspensions are us and a lot of the testing and development riding was done by Mark Beechy on his Majesty. The springs are to suit around 80kg - 85kg rider, and the cost was around $600.

Cheers

Johnnysherco

Beech
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Beech » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 am

As my named was mentioned I must reply, the YSS are not a bad shock, they do not have the infinate varying lengths such as Falcon and others and the spring rates also offer not a lot of choice, I don't mind the YSS and tested extensively with them to get them to where they are today, I have however chosen to buy Falcons rather than get free YSS, I have also bought a new pair of rock shocks which were pretty good but I sold them to use only Falcon, I have varied my Falcons a bit to my liking and am by far more impressed with them than anything alse on the market.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

So suspensions R us are the place to go? Falcons or YSS? mmm I'll check the bank balance for those..
Thanks for the replies.

Feet up, as always!

Beech
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Beech » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Stu, Don Newell in Qld for Falcons 07 3353 1874

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:06 pm

thanks Beech, I'll look into getting them when I can afford them.

Feet up, as always!

Bigem
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Looking!

Postby Bigem » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Both steel and alloy bodied Betor's are very very attractive buys from the UK at the moment with he dollar being so strong against the GBP.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 am

I was a little worried this thread might drop off the web page, so (bump)

My TLR has been undergoing a referb while I have been busy studying this past year. When it is done I will post a photo and ask if anyone can pic the changes from my first photo on page 1 of this thread.

Steve.

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”