Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

logan
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Postby logan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 pm

very very jealous rod! absolutely awesome bike mate!!

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:05 pm

New sureflex clutch plates and Silkolene light gear oil(mineral) on the Fantic and the clutch and gearbox action is now very impressive, I'm liking it.
Give me a Jumbo!
PS: I did the Beta mod on the friction plates before I installed them and the amount of shit that came off them was huge. For those not sure what I'm talking about I'll try and find it and post it up here, it's a good read and makes sense to me at least.

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Rod » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 am

The PDF is too big to attach, here's the link to TC for the friction plate tidy up.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/top ... lutch-fix/

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Rod » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Ebay package arrived today, NOS tank shrouds in white for the mk 2 Michaud Replica which I don't think ever came to Oz, complete with stickers and badges attached. I was searching for the red ones, could not find any in good condition and found these instead, matches up with the Michaud swingarm I'm running(got the original also). For those that know Fantics, I'm not going as far as cutting off the rear frame hoop over the guard like the mk 2 had. I like the look of it in white, so this allows me now to put the original red shrouds aside in storage with the other original parts I've previously saved. Hey Justin, are you turning green as you read this, sorry mate couldn't help myself :mrgreen:
001.JPG
001.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7405 times

colin jay
C grade participant
C grade participant
Club: Clare MCC

Postby colin jay » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:25 pm

I thought that I might post a few pictures of the TY250B that I have been playing around with for the last couple of months.

First we need to go back in time a few years to 1975. I had had my KT 250 for a few months and one of my older brothers, Phil decided to buy a TY250 and have a go at this trials lark as well. (Phil is wearing the St Kilda top and I am the one in the red tee shirt)

group-1.jpg
group-1.jpg (256.92 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

We then move forwards a few year to 1977 when with my KT250 sidelined I rode my first open observed trial on the TY250. From memory the trial was at Clare, which coincidentally is basically where I now live.

ty250-1.jpg
ty250-1.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

We then progress forwards to 2008, when Phil surprised me by turning up to my 50th birthday party with the TY in the trailer having hauled it down to SA from Townsville and gave it to me as a present.

50th TY.jpg
50th TY.jpg (277.94 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

We then progress to March of this year when in a moment of madness I dragged it from the back of the shed, cleaned the carbie, dropped a new set of points and a new spark plug into it and bugger me if it didn't start 2nd kick and tick over nicely.

March 2016-0.jpg
March 2016-0.jpg (270.54 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

This lead to one of those moments when you think, Hey I can get this up and going and ride a few trials on it this year, how hard can it be?

Surprisingly, not that hard, all that it has taken so far is a lot of time and money!

April 2016-1.jpg
April 2016-1.jpg (221.73 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

So this is how is currently is on the work bench. I just put the seat tank and heat shield in it this morning having put a clear coat over the paint yesterday afternoon. I just need to wait a few days for the clear to cure a bit before applying the tank decals. Hopefully the new front tire will arrive during the week and I also hope to get my front fork tubes back from being rechomed so I can rebuilt and fit the correct forks. I also have a new air cleaner connection tube coming from the US.

The next big think will be to see if it will run properly, as I have discovered that it is fitted with a TY175 carbie. Somewhere in the past the carbie must have gotten swapped over with the one that was for my old TY175. Unfortunately I sold the 175 back in 1988, so if that was the case the original carbie is long gone. If it runs ok I will ride it as is with the 175 carbie, and try to track down a correct carbie for it later on. Hopefully I will get the few remaining parts during the week and have a ride on it next weekend.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:02 pm

What a great story to be able to restore the same bike you rode back then.
The bike is looking pretty good too 8)

relax, nothing is under control

Julz
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320
Club: Twinshock Trials NZ

Postby Julz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Montesa fans

A friend rides this :montesa in our Classic Trial series and is unsure what model it is. He believes that it may have later model tank and seat fitted. Can anyone help?

https://www.facebook.com/TwinshockTrial ... =3&theater

Cheers
Julz

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Julz wrote:Hi Montesa fans

A friend rides this :montesa in our Classic Trial series and is unsure what model it is. He believes that it may have later model tank and seat fitted. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Julz

I'll have a go Julz
The frame looks like late model Cota 348 (late model because of the extra frame protection loops)
The triple clamps look like 1981 Cota 349 or another Cota that they used the narrow spacing for the fork tubes
The forks could be just about any Cota that used the square sliders
The front wheel has the Honda Montesa hub meaning is from a 1984 onwards Cota
The tank/seat looks like Cota 200 but I'm not sure
Motor is either 348 or 349 (need detail photo of RH side of motor to see what the sprocket cover looks like)

There are brochure photos here of some of the Cota models
http://www.southwestmontesa.com/gallery.html

The other thing is what did you think of riding the Fantic?

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Rod » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:36 pm

That Cota certainly looks a bitza Julz as David points out, I keep coming back to the puter in between daughters bedroom refurb trying to figure it out.
Some things I'm fairly sure on, Tank/Seat unit from 349 "white wonder', rear guard from later Cota 330 or similar, frame from 348 or earlier due to rear frame rail over the mudguard and frame rails under motor, however I can't find any pics showing the extra frame protection for the cases. Also the left side frame rail from motor to frame appears to be welded at swingarm pivot point, but anyone could have done that over the years. It's a tough one to work out. Attached is pic of a White Wonder beside a 348.
348 and 349 together.jpg
348 and 349 together.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 5173 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Rod wrote:That Cota certainly looks a bitza Julz as David points out, I keep coming back to the puter in between daughters bedroom refurb trying to figure it out.
Some things I'm fairly sure on, Tank/Seat unit from 349 "white wonder', rear guard from later Cota 330 or similar, frame from 348 or earlier due to rear frame rail over the mudguard and frame rails under motor, however I can't find any pics showing the extra frame protection for the cases

Here you go Rod. Late model 348 frame showing the extra frame protection
Attachments
IMAG3596[1].jpg
IMAG3596[1].jpg (1019.36 KiB) Viewed 5068 times

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”