ty175 crank seals

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

KiwiAde
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty175

ty175 crank seals

Postby KiwiAde » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 am

Hello,

The crankshaft oil seal on the flywheel side of the engine of my ty175 is knackered which explains the oily residue under the flywheel and all over the stator (points have been replaced by electronic ignition which I guess is why it kept running). Is it possible to pry this seal out without splitting the crankcase, and without damaging the seal surface on the shaft?

Cheers,
Adrian

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: ty175 crank seals

Postby David Lahey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:29 pm

If it is not stuck too tight by previous use of a sealant and you are careful enough - yes. The original seal would have been fitted dry and will come away from the crankcase hole easily. Sometimes people use a sealant when fitting new seals that may make it stick in there too well.
If the seal has a steel flange section you can usually screw a little self tapper into the seal so you have something to pull on.

relax, nothing is under control

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 am

Hi KiwiAde,
What CDI did you go with, US or UK manufactured?
Whats your thoughts, better power, smoother etc?
Just future reference for me, just shopping around for now.
Cheers,
Roger

Edit: Could it be a NZ Pazon, electronic yes, not CDI?

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

KiwiAde
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty175

Postby KiwiAde » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 pm

The ignition is CDI, but not one of the US or UK kits. It is a bodge-up by a previous owner - looks like CDI unit from a suzuki. The stator plate has been modified to accept the coils, and drilled with countersunk holes to mount it to the crankcase. As far as I can see this means the timing cannot be adjusted which could be a problem. It seemed to run OK when I recently bought it so hopefully the timing's right. I guess with some careful machining I could make slots to mount the stator plate and make the timing adjustable.

Here's a pic
DSCN4477.jpg

The bike has turned out to be a bit of a lemon - everything's worn and knackered from 30 years of abuse on a farm (that's what you get with internet auctions - buyer beware!!). Hence the bike's now in pieces for rejuvenation (not restoration - I'm not that particular)

Does anyone in Aus have experience sourcing parts from the UK? It seems from the web sites that JK Hirst is somewhat cheaper than Trail&Trials, but is the service equivalent?

Thanks for the advice re the seal - I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
Ade

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:10 am

From the photo, I cant really see what the trigger is for the CDI, (usually a separate sensor coil that set up with a timing lobe). I think its really a TCL system as in electronic points.

All I can suggest is to measure the distance the piston falls to the setting of the points timing mark, and mark this on the flywheel as a reference to a known point on the casing. Then you could power a strobe timing gun off a 12V battery and pickup on the spark lead, start the bike and see if this timing mark is close, rev it and see if it advances. Might answer a few questions for you.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:25 am

Gday, that looks like the CDI from a PE Suzuki. It'll probably work OK, but as to its timing curve its anyones guess. MY PE's use those stacked coil type of arrangements. It would definately pay to check the timing with a strobe light to see where its at, before you ride to make sure you are not doing any long term damage. I reckon there is nothing wrong with points if you wanted to convert it back - really how often do you need to do anything to them when they are lubricated properly?

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”