Anyone seen or heard of these (HERES ONE FOR THE KTM FANS)

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Josh Whyburn
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ty 175
Club: Denman Twinshock

Anyone seen or heard of these (HERES ONE FOR THE KTM FANS)

Postby Josh Whyburn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

I was searching the net when i came accross this its a KTM trials bike. I have no knowledge of these whats so ever and whether they came into Australia or were they a European bike only. Cheers Josh, Here is a pic ENJOY,Sorry about the poor quality,
Attachments
ktm%20trial.jpg

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Anyone seen or heard of these (HERES ONE FOR THE KTM FANS)

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 pm

There was a guy called Walter Luft (KTM nut) in Europe who made up his own KTM based trials bikes and was a respected rider in the 1970s. Walter can be seen in a Yamaha promotional film (called Mick Andrews 1973 SSDT) riding one of his KTMs in the 1973 SSDT.
The yanks were very keen on KTMs in the 1970s and someone there, probably John Penton, imported a KTM trials special. It was a 125cc and from the ride report in a US magazine of the time, it handled OK but the motor was a bit of a handful in sections. I think that is where that photo is from. If anyone shows interest, I will post the magazine article on the forum.

relax, nothing is under control

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Postby Rob W » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:44 pm

G'day Josh,

have a look here

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/ind ... alter+luft

I've been contemplating building one for years - I have the doner ktm frame (1979) stored at a mates place (luckily). Now I just need everything else.

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:10 pm

i too have seen this bike david, looks very swm ish! please post the mag test! ive got a keen interst in custom built and works bikes, ive got ex mick andrews ty250, did you have any pics of the 400cc canterlever ty he rode in 75/76?

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:11 pm

trialsmutha wrote:i too have seen this bike david, looks very swm ish! please post the mag test! ive got a keen interst in custom built and works bikes, ive got ex mick andrews ty250, did you have any pics of the 400cc canterlever ty he rode in 75/76?

Yes I would love to post the KTM magazine article. It won't be straight away though as I've looked at the file sizes and will need to crop the pages down to make the file sizes smaller while retaining picture quality high enough to read the printing.
In the meantime here is a couple of photos of a 1976 KTM trials bike.
Whats this about ex-Mick Andrews TY250? How about posting a few photos for the Mick Andrews/TY fans?
The only works Yamaha trials bike photos I have are from the web and yes I will post them.
Attachments
KTM_Luft.jpg

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”