Twinshock TLR250 Sidecar

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Twinshock TLR250 Sidecar

Postby Rob W » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:33 pm

OK. Here it is as I found it. I have to thank Ron Chadwick and family for entrusting it to us. I am going to try and restore it ready for our first club day on the 1st march. #-o
Kath and I and Ron and Karen are going to share it - any other loonies want a turn? We reckon we will be lucky to negotiate the loop let alone any sections. Anyone else out there want to restore another twinshocker sidecar and tag along?
Attachments
P1010040small.jpg

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: Twinshock TLR250 Sidecar

Postby Rob W » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 pm

and the other side
Attachments
P1010039small.jpg

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:38 pm

Rob I've got good video footage of what I think is that same TLR250 outfit being ridden in a QLD or Aussie titles competition in it's heyday. I'll do you a DVD of it.

It's a little bit disappointing with your outfit being a TLR. I thought it was going to be a gruntmaster TL250. With the TLR you will be pretty much stuck with 250cc max engine size. With a TL250 motor the sky (or about 420cc anyway) is the limit.

I think Cedric has a twinshock trials sidecar that came with his daughter's Cota 348 and the bike might still have the attachment brackets in place. I remember trying to ride it with the sidecar attached and couldn't even get it to straight ahead (due to lack of skill).

Anyway here is a bit of motivation in the form of a photo of Robert Gough and Gary Jackson competing on a TY250B outfit and looking very stylish at a trial at Tivoli in 1975 or 1976. They are trying to turn left tight enough to go back up the bank they are coming down.
Attachments
David school photos0015.JPG

relax, nothing is under control

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:49 am

David Lahey wrote:Rob I've got good video footage of what I think is that same TLR250 outfit being ridden in a QLD or Aussie titles competition in it's heyday. I'll do you a DVD of it.

Thanks David that would be great. Ron knows the outfits history and told me. And I've promtly forgotton......CRAFT. I'll chase it up again in the next few weeks.

David Lahey wrote:It's a little bit disappointing with your outfit being a TLR. I thought it was going to be a gruntmaster TL250. With the TLR you will be pretty much stuck with 250cc max engine size. With a TL250 motor the sky (or about 420cc anyway) is the limit.

It was a case of beggars can't be choosers. Ron has given us a chance to to see if we like it without a great financial outlay. I probably shouldn't mess around with the motor too much. I wonder if an XR500 motor might fit though :shock:

I would still like a TL250 and maybe even a chair with it. I'll just have to wait until one comes along that I can afford.

Thanks for the pics - keep digging.

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:20 am

Just a quick note to let you know of some similar engines and their fitting.

An xl250 can fit an xl500 engine.a cb250rs will fit a xl500 engine. I don't think a xr500 engine
will bolt straight into either of the previous, hope that helps ( maybe not).

Cheers Gordo

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 am

We stripped the TLR yesterday afternoon. Did some frame straightening whilst we were at it. No we were not practicing. Yes that is a garden fork. One makes do!
Attachments
Straightening the frame.jpg

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 am

Sidecars must give their frames an absolute hiding. We found strengthening plates along the front down tuble and around the rear shock mount. There was some rewelding at joints. The swingarm has plates welded along both sides.

Surprisingly there was not any strengthening at the base of the top tube and the frame is cracked right through (aparently a common problem with TLR's). Anyone have any tricks for strengthening this area?

The pic below was taken from the back. It looks like the tube running across the frame has cracked in the middle and had a sleeve fitted over it. It has also been rewelded at both ends. I'd never noticed that this particular tube was at an angle - my first thought was the the frame was twisted!
Attachments
rear view of frame.jpg

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:01 am

It is now officially a basket case. I must thank Terry for the tools. Couldn't have done this without them.
Attachments
stripped.jpg

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

Great photos and story Rob. There's nothing wrong with using a garden fork. Probably one step more sophisticated than my piece of 4 x 2 hardwood.

relax, nothing is under control

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 am

Great thread there Rob!

Just as a matter of interest, how many classic sidecars are still out there ???

I'd be keen to restore one if i could find one !

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”