Twinshock TLR250 Sidecar

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Re: Twinshock TLR250 Sidecar

Postby Rob W » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:43 am

We stripped the motor on the weekend. It looks surprisingly unused (compared to the rest of the outfit). Given the state of bolt heads, gaskets and crankshaft ends perhaps this motor has never been apart. Or perhaps it is just testament to Honda quality?

One thing that caused some concern was a mark in the lower half of the barrel. The pic below is looking in from the bottom. The mark is just above the limit of ring travel.
barrel watermark.jpg

I wonder if the bike sat unused for a long time? The mark goes right around the bore, but is tilted up at the back like a small amount of water sat in it? It is quite deep in places. I am hoping that a hone of the bore will fix it. I have a NOS set of standard rings for it so I would be relucant to re-bore it. Does anyone know if oversize pistons and rings are available? Re-sleaving the bore doesn't look easy either. Anyone with any experience here?

David you are right - there is very little scope for increasing the capacity of this motor. Everything from the cases up is stretched to the limit. The cases are opened up as far as practical to fit the 70mm bore; the crank wheels are so close to the top of the cases; the barrel skirt is so thin; the studs are so close to the bore liner (actually in it); and there is little scope for altering the head chamber. A 250 it is then.

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:13 am

Makes you wonder what other goodies lay in the chadwick shed !

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:49 pm

lukesta888 wrote:Makes you wonder what other goodies lay in the chadwick shed !

Nah nothin. I cleaned em out! :D

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Any updated photos of the sidcar Rob ?

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Rob W » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:43 pm

G'day Luke,

No I don't. Our camera shat itself when we were assembling the motor at Dan Gs. We didn't get another camera until over a year later, after Conondale 2009.

So I've not seen any photos except for the ones of it leaning against a wheelie bin at Conondale 2010 - thanks David!

Anyone else?

Rob

Ca plane pour moi

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 pm

yeah the green wheelie bin TLR photos do look a bit downmarket. Thats the trouble with riding an event and trying to get photos - you don't get to choose when to take photos, and there are no action shots.
A few years ago at Conondale I took a series of photos showing bike and rider and the backdrop was the besser block toilets next to the parc ferme and in some of the photos the word "ladies" featured prominently beside the rider. Sorry for whoever that was (Dan Gollagher I think)
To try and make up to the Honda TLR riders out there for the green wheelie bin photos, I will post one of Drew Wickerson's "mood" photos he took near the creek of his new TLR250 that same. It will be in "the "show us a picture....." string
David

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”