Question re boots

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

shaunb
C grade participant
C grade participant

Question re boots

Postby shaunb » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Team

I have a pair of Ashman Red Devil MX boots that I used to use on my KT, too many years ago now. I have kept them clean and dry, there is no mildew damage and the buckles etc are not rusted, all up in pretty good nick.

The leather however , particularly around the ankle area has gone hard with age. I am trying to bring these back to life and have been rubbing neatsfoot oil into them over the past couple of weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any tricks / recommendations on bringing old leather boots back to life?

These are very retro and I really cant bring myself to throw them out, can anyone give me some hints??

Cheers

Shaun B

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Re: Question re boots

Postby Gary B » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Shaun,
Try warming them in the sun or near a heater (don't cook them though) to get the leather pores to 'open up a bit'.
Also Alpinstars has a "Bee's Wax" polish that I use on my No-Stop boots, I find that keeps them supple, but with leather that has gone hard it might not hurt to contact a saddler about some ideas.

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

phoenix75
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT Repsol
Club: Western Districts

Re: Question re boots

Postby phoenix75 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 am

what I do to my boots is I get them hot in the sun and then I laquer them with Dubbin
which is made by Kiwi. That will penetrate the leather and bring them back to life,
my previous boots have lasted me a long time and everytime I go to a trial people think that I've just bought them but then I use the Dubbin on them after every ride from day dot.

VIVA MONTESA

Frank van Heerden

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”