Montesa Cota 348s coming out of the woodwork

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Montesa Cota 348s coming out of the woodwork

Postby David Lahey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:52 pm

I just re-read this forum topic and realised that no-one has mentioned riding at "Baynses" or the Colmslie hockey fields or next to the Cairncross drydock on reclaimed marshland, or down towards the mouth of the river where there was similar land reclamation happening that eventually became Fisherman's Island container facility
Baynses was a run-down cattle holding property on the banks of the Brisbane besides Borthwicks meatworks. There was a derelict concrete bunker-like building that I was told was an ammunition store in WW2. Luckily for us it has a smooth concrete floor that was perfect for mini-speedway on trials bikes. There was also a rudimentary MX track complete with a tabletop jump where a friend came to grief, getting knocked out when one of the footpegs broke off on landing his RM250CII. I think of that place every time I travel over the top on the Gateway Bridge
The Colmslie hockey grounds had a wooded hill with some interesting tracks through here and there. It also was a good spot to fly control line model aircraft (on the sports pitch)
The reclaimed land near the drydock was fine silty sand which made for a perfect surface for practicing 3rd gear racing starts on TY250 twinshocks
Fisherman's Island was just a series of criss-crossing roads put in to make it easy to fill in between. I went with my Dad to test his recently-resurrected Norton 16H. We carted it there resting on the tailgate of the family XL Falcon Wagon
Looking back it is totally amazing that I only ever got caught riding on the road once by the police, before I was old enough for a licence
Just remembered also riding at "Rheem" which was vacant industrial land on the Brisbane River at Hawthorne. A very flat MX track and some rocks, banks and old broken concrete slab fill at the water's edge for trials practice, and lots of fun

relax, nothing is under control

bensino
Junior participant
Junior participant
Club: WDTC

Re: Montesa Cota 348s coming out of the woodwork

Postby bensino » Thu May 21, 2015 4:03 pm

hey mt petrie (powerline) riders .good to here from u.i believe there must be a lot of riders ex riders who rode the area once long ago.have memory of several guys hiring bikes out there ? trials rider dick Swayne I think.we hired rm 80s $20 4 hrs bags of fun.i also saw jeff gough riding there in the early years & rode there with shane Mitchell. I was in lrmcc latter on then wdtc.western districts actually held a club day in the riflerange quarry once.awsome trials riding through the area .I lived on bacton rode as a kid listening to mobs of dirt bikes ride past on weekends ,wot a childhood.u could ride from brisbane river south almost anywhere.
I do have some early photos will try to post.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”