Greetings and more

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

lamped69
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250 b
Club: Denman

Greetings and more

Postby lamped69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi all, just thought i'd say hi.

Hi.....

Well, I have finally got my 'pig' back between the tapes, well ready for it. After getting it toward the end of '07' and doing a few rounds of the Denman curcuit I thought i'd 'freshen' it up for the upcoming year. Anyway, 14 months!!!! later she is ready..... nearly. It's up and running, just tuning it up now. Waiting for a jet and then all finished. As long as i'm right with my diagnosis at least.

Long story short, does anyone want to hear and see my 14 month learning curve? I'll gladly help anyone with anything I can to save them the frustrations I endured.

Um, yeah, it's a resto on a ty250 b, something really rare and different..... I also have some gearbox bearings for sale too. Could not get any in Aus, so I got 8 from Singapore, it was cheaper. Now I have a few spare.

Looking forward in competing at the local club and doing some state rounds now.

Also have an onza t rex pushy. So now i'm not fixing, riding :D Also have an all original RL250 and not far off the RL, a KT250. Thought i'd spare them from my panel beating and shed them.

lamped

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Greetings and more

Postby David Lahey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Hey Lamped. I would love to hear your story. Your bit about the gearbox bearings reminded me about a friend who rebuilt a TY250D and luckily decided to pull the motor apart without trying to get it going. There was lots wrong with the bike (strangely bent frame and swingarm and mechanical issues) but he greatly enjoyed working on it. Anyway when he pulled the gearbox apart, he found that one gear was missing some teeth (this is something very unusual on a TY250, even an abused one). He found another gear and was cleaning everything up ready to put it together and noticed a funny looking hole in the gearbox case (underneath where the clutch goes). He then put two and two together and came up with a plausible explanation:
The bike had been lying down on the left side while someone was working on the clutch, probably to keep the oil from being lost. Then somehow the bike was run over by a heavy vehicle and someone then "put it out of it's misery" with a rifle shot to the RH gearbox casing. The gear damage lined up perfectly with the hole in the casing as if it had been shot. Amazing hey. What's even more amazing is that he fixed it all up well and rode it in a trial!
Anyway lets hear more TY250 stories.

relax, nothing is under control

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Postby trialsmutha » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm

always up for a ty story or two

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

lamped69
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY250 b
Club: Denman

Postby lamped69 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Well, I don't know if my bike or I needed to put out of misery over the rebuild time, but i'll share and let other's decide :roll: Hmm, my story seems a little boring after hearing that one. Not to worry.

A bit busy at work for the moment but I shall start boring people over the weekend. Please, let me know if you have heard it all before. Prepare for boredom.... :D

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 am

You've got me going on TY250 stories, lamped.
One basket case TY250B I bought from a hippy at Gympie had a patch repair on the mag cover that I originally thought looked reasonable (from the outside). It was where they commonly get a hole when the bike falls to the left and the end of the gear shifter punches a hole through. Pretty normal for that bike.
When I eventually took the mag cover off, all was revealed. Whoever had plugged the hole with plastic filler, had done the job with the mag cover still in place, and had kept pushing more and more bog in until it held there nicely. Of course that meant that the bog was pushing against the side of the flywheel - no big problem I imagine - expcept for the first time they started it would have been pretty hard to kick over. Any way they must have ridden it like that because the housing had lots of fine bog dust inside and a polished section where the bog had been rubbing.
That bit had me a bit aghast, but there was more. When I was cleaning out the casing, there was the punched-out piece of mag cover, loose inside the casing, just waiting to fall inside the flywheel and smash the ignition coil to bits. I've still got that cover and the piece and might just take a photo next week and post it.
I've just thought of another TY250 motor story but that will have to wait.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”