More Rego Questions

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

More Rego Questions

Postby yamfan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Chaps,

Just bourght yet another TY175 must be about the 5th ive owned since '76' I wasn't going to buy another one but this one was a plum and at a bargin basement price so I couldn't let it go. Problem is, it's a bit too nice to ride in a trial especially in vets where I normally ride I suppose I could ride with the clubbies and remain scratch free.

One thing I did notice on the little beast was a nice shiney 1976 compliance plate so next question is should I get it rego'd?

Does a bike have to have indicators to be legal or just working lights, horn and stop light not forgetting road legal tyres...........?

Do any of you ride on the road regually on a rego'd trials bike and how does mister plod take to having your strange machine travelling down their highway.

I'll post some picks when I get a chance.

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: all bikes

Re: More Rego Questions

Postby trialsmutha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 pm

it may be differant in wa, but here in vic you would have to have front and rear lights,blinkers,horn,chain guard, speedo,rear mud flap [must be as low as the centre of axle], speed rated tyres [ more so tyres that dont have off road use only on them] mirror,spark arestor muffler, no more then 110 decebles [pre 85] and a front and rear brake light switch. do that and pass a vic roadworthy and fork out around $560 depending what area you live in, to vic roads and you can ride a ty on the road in vic. pretty darn pricey if you have a few bikes! no hassle with the cops though! they have "bigger fish to fry"
Attachments
sp14.jpg

"A gentleman can never have too many motorcycles"

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info I hope WA is easyer :)

You did a good job getting the TLR registered...........

sidevalvedave
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: BSA

Postby sidevalvedave » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi ya

I think it is different in each state - I have bikes from the 1950's and they passed roadworthy without indicators but must have mirror & a horn (a pushbike airhorn is OK).

Dave

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby trialsmutha » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:16 pm

dont need blinkers in vic if its pre 1957 and a bike horn is ok here too!

Warren
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY 175 & TL 250

Postby Warren » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:24 am

I have played around with some old road bikes over here in NSW. Anything pre 1976 I didn't need a compliance plate nor blinkers, I just needed headlight /tail/break light, one break switch (connected to foot brake) & a horn (pushbike air type ok).

dar1stheory
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby dar1stheory » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

I was (apparently) one of the first in the country to ride one of these thumper/monkey bikes legally on the road here in Qld, as my partner was working in an import shop that supposedly got the first of them approved by DOT, they were ridiculously fun for wheelies, but I just couldn't help thinking that they weren't the safest thing to ride on the road...

I reckon that if scooters and these things are legal, there should be at least limited use rego available to trials bikes like I've heard they have in the UK...

Though it's been a couple years since I rode one for that first time, I'd never seen them on the road, and then I've somehow seen 3 of these in the last week around Brisbane!
Attachments
monkey.jpg
monkey.jpg (3.12 KiB) Viewed 5285 times

trialsmutha
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby trialsmutha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 pm

i reckon i could rego a pushbike with a big block chev in it.it all comes down to how good your shonky roadworthy man is ! vic roads are only number checkers here,unless there is somthing super wrong with the thing youve got no probs! they just check the roadworthy, it all comes back on him, i have a 82 works 495 ktm [ex gerend rond] its been regoed since 82 as a gs250 thats the way bert flood did all his ktm,s in the early days they were all 250,s . you got a mx bike a lighting coil and a number plate. friend ive mine has a yz490 82 model regoed as a dt250.. when these bikes went to vic roads [rta ] in those days both bikes had lights,mirrors,blinkers,trials uni,s .etc hooked up to batt on a total loss system. when we came back home we ripped all the gear back off, but these bikes were only used in enduros and once in the finke desert race,there was always issues about being in the bush with no reg. but i think if we were buzzing around town it may have been a differant story. if your guna ride on the road your going to have to look roadworthy eg. mirror binkers etc.anything pre 76 dosent need a compliance plate and the adr,s are a lot more resonable pre 85...rego is easy! keeping on the road thats a whole other story.
Attachments
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 5219 times

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”