Suzuki RL250 Mania

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: postie
Club: n/a

Re: Suzuki RL250 Mania

Postby crustydog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:52 pm

DSCF0413.JPG
DSCF0413.JPG (212.53 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
DSCF0365.JPG
DSCF0365.JPG (252.68 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
DSCF0364.JPG
DSCF0364.JPG (206.27 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
DSCF0362.JPG

whoops forgot to resize #-o

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 pm

crustydog wrote:was wondering if anyone wants my spare frame and whatever is left on it once motor is pulled out(will post photos in a week or so)i may also keep tank for a spare too.would rather swap for some part i dont have to benefit us both(a long neck will do if u got nothing!)would anyone be interested in rebuilding the motor for me.as cheap as possible would be best.(if i had money id be riding a watercooled mx bike) not doing up old dungers i got for nuthing(even though i love my old air cooled jobbies.)P.S frame has patch job on left hand side under moror and i think left rear too(do they all have that?both mine seem to)cheers Justin :NSW:

Hey crustydog, in regard to the motors, time to think a little laterally, if Suzuki based the RL on the same year model as the TS250, the similarities between them may have a lot in common in regards to bottom ends and possibly more if you can get a complete bike for parts. I know that the Yamaha TY and DT are brother & sister in design, so may be able to get you hands on a twinshock TS250 more readily amongst vintage wreckers or on the Australian VMX site. They are known to race the odd TS also. A message on that site's Forum may yield more hope and advice also.
http://ausvmx.ning.com/

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 am

Crustydog, look here, this what you want, a third parts bike! Cheap too.
http://sa.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicle ... Z263790483

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 am

cheers subanator,i did maesure up a TS 400 motor and it was a close fit.only minor alterations to the plate steel mounts were needed(easy home job) im sure a 250 would bolt straight in,so yeah bottom ends would be near identical.after getting hold of the second bike i should be able to get a running motor .that parts bike looks pretty complete motor wise but convincing the missus its a bargain might be difficult,ive still gotta go through the ladies shed i got donor bike from and see if there are any parts still there.cheers

motonet
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: JG 250 2015
Club: sqta / Logan River

Postby motonet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi I am looking for front mud gaurd and rear mud gaurd, and a few other spares for an RL I just bought

Are you up and running yet ?

Cheers

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 am

what spares are you after Motonet?dont have any gaurds, i am after a set myself.I'm putting big end back in today so only need a petcock and a clutch lever and cable and it should be a goer. :D

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Tue May 17, 2011 4:04 pm

got the rings and gaskets in and finally got the motor complete.poured a bit of petrol in and she fired up .BUT the carby is missing the slide , cable and cap.plus still need a petcock and clutch lever and cable.may have to take the 2 hour drive to the nearest wreckers and try my luck for something that fits.more photo's soon. :D :D

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:02 pm

suzy3 (400x300).jpg
suzy3 (400x300).jpg (202.19 KiB) Viewed 11853 times
suzy5 (400x300).jpg
suzy5 (400x300).jpg (199.31 KiB) Viewed 11853 times
these are the latest photos of the bike.as advertised in the classifieds section

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:01 pm

G'day everyone. It's been a while. I'm slowly getting things together. I have organised to take the RL to a local fab shop to get my tail light fixed after the bike transporter tore it off. After a few arguments with the removalist and the transporter they agreed to pay the cost of the repair... too bad it's almost impossible to find another assembly to replace the broken one. Otherwise I'd buy a whole tail light.

I have some bummer news for those waiting to get their greasy gritty mits on some RL guards. I don't know when I will have to tooling to start making them again. I was using a mates workshop and paying him for the materials etc. If I were to go and buy the tools I need and all the resin, glass, paint etc, the guards would be very expensive in order for me to get any money back. Thems the breaks I suppose. Some people have asked to borrow my moulds. Sorry. If I let them go I am guaranteed I'll never see them again. Would you lend a stranger your Makita? :D

I have some more info on stuff. You may recall the TY250 I have in some of the photos. The yellow one.Today I dismantled the bike to inspect it. The frame is good. Brakes are good. Tank is good but looks it age. Motor runs I am told by the Yamaha mechanic of 30 years whom I bought the bike from. Got a second set of front shocks and bottom half of the triple clamp. The forks and frame are straight. I was going to do this one up like I did the RL but I reckon I will leave it. I still need to paint the frame of the RL and tidy a few other things. Besides, I don't need two trials bikes. So, a little heads up to the enthusiasts... I am going to re-assemble the bike and probably pop it on ebay. I am soon to be in the market for a bike to take to the cape. My rule is three bikes. So, the Yamaha has to go. At least I can say I owned a TY250. Two TY's in fact for a period of a month.

I want to enter the RL in a hill climb comp that is coming up. I'll gear the sucker right down. 11 on the front and something much bigger than 50 on the back.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 pm

I got the dates wrong for the hill climb and I missed out by a week. Dang!

Is it time to ride yet?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”