Suzuki RL250 Mania

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

Re: Suzuki RL250 Exacta Mania

Postby Scorps » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 am

Howdy Y'all,

I would be reluctant to increase the width of the sprocket - the clearance allows the chain a certain degree of misalignment as it engages the sprocket. Not as in both sprockets being out of alignment, but the chain flexing, whipping, or taking hits on sticks/rocks etc. I would be worried that the smaller clearance MAY cause the chain not to engage properly and be thrown!

Though that's just me, buy all means give it a go though, if you have good success let us know and I can store it in the memory banks. What plate are you using that has that thickness? I know you mentioned Bisplate earlier, but I was under the impression that the dimensional accuracy of Bisplate (thickness and flatness) could be a bit hit and miss.

Reminds to look into a Supersprox for the KT!

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood ScorpaMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1981 Fantic 240 Professional
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 am

Gday, I cant remember all the chain size formulas now....(alcohol-related brain damage :-) Perhaps the sprocket recommendation above is for 525 chain. IIRC it is slightly different in width, but the same pitch as 520. Worth looking into.

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am

Hey Hey.
Even though I was having fun calculating sprockets to have them made, I spent a little more time on the JT site and found that a 1981 PE280 has exactly what I need in a 520 pitch. In front, 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 is available. In rear, that standard is 50 but others are available. I have ordered the 11, 13 and15.
One front for the road and one front for wheelies and one for in between.

Is it time to ride yet?

BorisTas
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '12 Cabby , TRL260
Club: TMTC

Postby BorisTas » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Keen as mustard

sitting in the shed ready to go after a few chores in the morning I have (all on Storks knowlege I must admit) 1 x 13 tooth 428 pitch front sprocket (TW200 Yamaha[10-TW2-13]), 1 x 53 tooth 428 pitch rear (RM125A [11-287-53])a new 138 link DID 428 chain a 5mm alu spacer and 6 SS 35 x 8 mm bolts (5mm longer) all aquired from the comfort of my local bike shop (thank's Tina). Will post an opinion after a short ride .....stand by

Mick :lol:

"I'm all for buying more bikes more often. Why pay off the morgage or save for retirement or stick your money in super, buy bikes and live." {Craypot}

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:48 am

How's that for poached eggs? \:D/ \:D/

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 pm

I have some more news on my RL. Last night I received a phone call from nice guy named Kim. He told me heaps of great things about trials in the 70's and who was who and the fun that he had riding trials.
I also found out that:
- My RL is supposed to have the steel tank even though it's a 74. Kim said that it's the second generaition frame with compensation plates built into the head of the frame. This explains why it has all the lights and the 525 chain and dished sprocket.
- The piece of metal that has been chopped off the head of the frame was for the steering lock.

I am spending some more time on the fibreglass guards tomorrow. I have finished the painting and will be able to make a mould and a product from the plugs I have. I haven't moulded the side covers yet. They'll be next.

I have been thinking a lot about the mould for the fuel tank. Becasue the RL tank has a few nice looking but hard to replicate curves, I am thinking I am going to shape a tank out of some foam. The shape will be simple and will probably look nothing like the RL tank. The main thing is that it should be easy to make.
I'll keep you posted.

I am expecting to receive my sprockets from Raceway tomorrow. Once I get my package from B & J's I don't care what condition the bike is in I AM GOING FOR A RIDE! Woo hoo six years waiting waiting waiting.

I have been thinking some more about the colours for the RL. I am slowly leaning away from the original paint scheme. I think I will paint the tank and guards red with a sincle silver stripe an inch wide down all the parts length wise and off centre to the left. I'll leave the frame silver.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 am

No fibre glassing today. What a bummer. I'll have to wait until next week. :-({|=

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Today I began to mould some foam in order to make a plug fuel tank. What do ya reckon?

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Tonight I began shaping the top of the plug. I made a form template of the front curve on the top of the tank and began shaping away. It's looking good so far. Tomorrow night I'll be shaping the seat end of the tank. The tank won't have the nice curves on the underside of the front of the tank. That will make it easy to make a mould and also give me a bit more fuel.

Is it time to ride yet?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”