Suzuki RL250 Mania

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: Suzuki RL250 Exacta Mania

Postby Westy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:48 am

I'm still waiting for my parts from B & J. It has only been a week but I can't wait. I'm hangin to ride the RL. I am also waiting for my front sprockets. The Victorian Australia Post must be slower than New South Wales.
Maybe they are still loading the ferry to cross the Murray?

Is it time to ride yet?

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:25 am

Westy wrote:Maybe they are still loading the ferry to cross the Murray?

They have loaded it on the ferry, they are just waiting on the water to float the ferry again, or is it just South Australia that has no water in the Murray?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm

The transformation is complete! Using a template for the rear curve on the top of the tank I cut some finishing touches on the plug. I also narrowed the front of the plug with a larger chamfer that will sit within the forks when at full lock. I am guessing from observation that the plug may be a half to one litre greater in capacity taking into account a void for the cross bar, compared to the original tank.
However, it would be possible for to make a two litre tank from this plug whilst keeping the nice curves of the top of an RL250 fuel tank.

Depending on my schedule, I may be able to fibreglass the plug on Tuesday.

Is it time to ride yet?

Wazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Suzuki RL250M
Club: Maryborough

Postby Wazza » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Westy, The "Kim" you were talking to wouldn't happen to be Kim Powell by any chance? I met Kim Powell at Classic Dirt 6 this year and was absolutely fascinated with the stories and info he had on the RL and riding for Suzuki Australia back in the '70s. I have a photo of myself and Kim standing beside my RL which I will post when I work out how to reduce the size of the file so this site will accept it. Kim is a very polite and humble man who I thoroughly enjoyed talking to. If you're reading this Kim, I hope your well.

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 am

Wazza, that's the same Kim. We chatted about the same kinda stuff. I like stories from the past and am always in for a good one. Kim told me that my cross bar and cradle bar are not connected to the steering head because the first RL frames would stretch. The other day I stuck my finger in the hole of the compensation plates and stiffeners and I found just that... no connection.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 am

Stu. I moved my handlebars like you mentioned and I can feel the difference when balancing on the bike.
Someone else told me to drop the the shocks an inch in the triple clamp but I haven't done that yet. It looks like I don't have an inch to play with under the handle bars. Half an inch perhaps.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Today I had some great fun fibre glassing. Not only did we make another truck air-scoop but we got some layers on the guards for the moulds.

First up, here's what the guards look like prior to mould making.

Then we put the first couple of layers on the gel coat. Just a few more layers to go.

This is the steel tank I picked up. I have added a little filler to it. It only needed a light skin. The dry ice got most of the dings out. I am yet to decide what colour scheme I want. Red or Orange?

The tank used to look like this...

Is it time to ride yet?

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi Westy,

Sorry about the delay with the wiring diagram, I think we have this sorted out now. When I offered, I was thinking about the TL 250 manual which has a more elaborate diagram! Hopefully the RL 250 information I have sent helps!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Greg.
The files you sent me a great. I didn't know how to do the timing on a CDI bike before. I feel kinda lazy now because all of my bikes have been CDI.
Thanks very much for them.

Westy

Is it time to ride yet?

Wazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Suzuki RL250M
Club: Maryborough

Postby Wazza » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Westy, Those guards are looking fantastic! I would be very interested in a pair when you're ready.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”