TY 175 Restoration and TY Challenge

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY 175 Restoration and TY Challenge

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Good to see Murray. Townsville is a great place for dirt bike riding.

relax, nothing is under control

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 am

Bigem, superb restoration, I only hope I can get mine to look as good as yours, well done.
Some questions, the seat cover ex UK - aftermarket copy, if so very good?
The rear sprocket, alloy? If so what manufacturer?
The colour, what did you use to match Portuguese Orange?
The engine paint, is that correct, silver cases and black barrel/head? (I want to get mine right at the outset)

I noticed the MCR levers & perches in a previous pic, I dont rate them that much, have broken 2x brake perches by heavy braking. I am looking out for forged quality ones now but supplied locally for levers, the sand cast ones dont hold up in competition.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Murray210
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175

Postby Murray210 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks David,
Max has cleaned it with in an inch of his life, has bought a tube of Autosol and has been hard at making the most of what he has got, he is busting a gut to ride it on the Easter weekend.
I am going to set him up a course to practise slow figure 8's and a bit of a see saw so that he can start to learn the great skill of balance.

I'm afraid this post was the first I found when I discovered this site and in hindsight should probably not have posted the bike here at this stage. So I apologise for that, but maybe we can consider it a before Resto post and I am sure in the not to distant future we will have some ofter shots.
Murray

Bigem
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Looking!

Postby Bigem » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 pm

subanator wrote:Bigem, superb restoration, I only hope I can get mine to look as good as yours, well done.
Some questions, the seat cover ex UK - aftermarket copy, if so very good?
The rear sprocket, alloy? If so what manufacturer?
The colour, what did you use to match Portuguese Orange?
The engine paint, is that correct, silver cases and black barrel/head? (I want to get mine right at the outset)

I noticed the MCR levers & perches in a previous pic, I dont rate them that much, have broken 2x brake perches by heavy braking. I am looking out for forged quality ones now but supplied locally for levers, the sand cast ones dont hold up in competition.

Geddat sub-dude,

Seat cover is UK resto,
I am lead to believe the rear sprocket is a Talon, 42 teeth,520 pitch. I have a 49 tooth steel one going on over Easter, gearing is more trail bike than trials bike.
Guy I bought the bucket off had the tank painted, I don't know who that was sorry.
Engine's where polished alloy, but as this is a rider, it would have taken too much time to polish to make it worthwhile, therefore the cases are finished with Silver wheels, it is extraudinarily long wearing and easy to touch up and does not require a primer.
Cylinder head and barrel are black. I only sanded and polished the outer head and 3 upper barrel fins because I like that look.
I have seen several different takes on the fins. An original road test would be the go to see what they came out like.

I only use PJI Satin special case paint now, the rest are shite in comparison!!

I have stuck MCS levers and perches on this one because I have about 5 bikes with them and if I break one I have a lot of spares!!

MCS are cheap and nasty and it is my intention to change them for Magura's down the track and keep the MCS shit for my enduro and mx bikes.

Johnsy
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha TY175

Postby Johnsy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Wow.... what a great job on these bikes. I just baught a TY175 and intend to get into trials and found the info and site a fantastic resource. Hope to contribute more after I read all the fantastic info here.
Cheers,
Johnsy

Don Duck
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: MTCQ

Postby Don Duck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Johnsy,
Glad to see another contender keen to have some fun by having a go at Trials, welcome aboard.

In a totally blatant attempt to increase your enthusiasm, below is a link to the video of this years "TY Challenge" for you to peruse. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Motorcycl ... 0008417468

Cheers
Don Rolands MTCQ

Ground Clearence......The Twinshock Riders Best Friend

Johnsy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Johnsy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Well here it is a 1974 Yamaha TY175B that was being sold as a good bike on EBay a few weeks ago. Being told it was a good bike and sadly believing it I bought it, however, after getting it home and having a proper look at it, it was pretty obvious that this bike had been bodgied up in every way. It needs new front and rear wheel bearings, seals, spokes, brakes, tyres, fork seals, a new right fork, shockies, bash plate, points, condenser, spark plug, full gasket and seal kits and I haven’t even cracked open the crank case yet. Anyway I plan to resurrect the old girl so that she has a decent life with an honest owner who will take her out to play as much as possible, I will post more pics as we get to know each other on our little journey of restoration.
Cheers,
Johnsy

PS If anyone has any tips & tricks to share it will be gratefully appreciated.
Attachments
TY175 Work In Progress 1.jpg
Just starting!!

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Sadly this is not only common to ebay and becoming more of a trend to more the bike is "classic" or "vintage". Applies to parts etc also.
This bike is "Rebuilt" not "Restored". Price and description should reflect this. (only the honest ones will)
Note the difference, sellers and buyers. :( :( :(

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Johnsy
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Johnsy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:50 pm

You are right Tee-why, in my case it got worse, a whole lot worse. I finally got the crank case open and yep the gears are stuffed, the drum selector is stuffed, a selector fork is stuffed, and there are even missing shims, dowel pins, locking washers and a totally mangled crank retaining nut that just shouldn't have been put back in. The worst part about this is the guy who sold it to me had done all of the gear box bearings so he just didn't give a rats how it went back together as long as it would run when he sold it. I am now reconsidering the whole Trials/twin shock/old school stuff altogether. In fact this is my first foray back into bikes after a very nasty accident on an R1 seven years ago that cost me my career and lifestyle. I think a few quiet drinks (and a lot of noisy ones) and a long sleep might be the best idea before making any rash decisions or for that matter going back to the shed and seeing what's on the work bench.

:cry:

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Johnsy,

Sounds very depressing, have you talked to the seller, sounds like he was not honest with you? At my place you told me he had other TY175's and parts, I think he could at the very least supply you with the parts that should have been replaced. Old bikes have old bike problems, but he told you the gearbox bearings have been replaced which suggests that was all that was needed, obviously not true.

You have been in my parts shed and we didn't count the TY175 motors, but I am sure there is ample parts to solve your problems. Let us know how you got on with the seller.

BTW my old bashplate looks new in the photo, a deserving new owner!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”