Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Tee-Why » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm

David Lahey wrote:Thanks Roger. I hope it is helping you out over there. I've had a few phone calls already from people who are interested in Twinshock Trials bikes but had no idea that anyone was riding them, until they saw the articles in VMX - especially the Brooweena article. It has worked out well having the contact phone numbers in there too.
David

David, I did get a couple of calls last year from the general public, but no follow up.
There is problems in how the club has included the Twinshock events in this years calendar, nothing I can do about it, . Makes it hard to improve on from last year when the issue/attitude is within the committee - very disappointing :(

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases Trial on Z 50 Duleys Goolies

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

Stu, David and Roger, it is great to see you guys all pro active in promoting trials. Computers and Internet are all relatively new to me and are a great way of meeting people with similar interests, still a fairly steep learning curve for me! As you have read on this thread some of the things that I have been up to in an effort to stimulate interest. Also I have joined coffsharbourmotorcycleclub.com and have a few trials reports under Racing Away. Apparently over six hundred members and now there is ONE trials rider, a work in progress!

I am posting a photo of me at the SQTA trial at Duley's property (Lismore) the weekend before Easter. Why the Z50 you ask? (and many did) Just another thing to tick off the list! Won't be doing it again! I rang the owners of the property before the trial as it was a new venue for me and asked how hilly it was. My concern was for Donna as it was her first trial with limited experience on a bike. I chose the Z50 because I knew they wouldn't like me to ride a real easy grade, and the intro loop may have been different to what I normally ride, this way we could ride together. Perhaps asking if the venue was very rocky may have been more pertinent! Obviously you need to ask the right questions as the SQTA report has christened the venue as Duley's Goolies! I agree and riding between the sections was very challenging, with loose rocks generally bigger than the wheels and out numbering the grass! The photo was in the man-made section in the camp grounds and I am happy to say that I cleaned it 3 out of 4 times. One other section in a gully, I rode just as well and lets not talk about the rest!
Attachments
IMGP3159.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Hi bigal ,originally from Nana Glen,if you are ever down this way, touch base. Bring your riding gear and I will lend you a bike, I have riden a TY175 exactly where you have described up to the trig station via Perserverance (a big hillclimb for a 175). What a great name for a fire trail, very appropiate and challenging.

Did you know that Nana Glen was named after a lizard with two tails and they have just discovered a live example! When I first heard the story, I didn't believe it, not so now that I have seen photo's!

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

bigal
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: ty175

Postby bigal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Greg

Yes I saw that story in the Advocate (Aggravate) over Easter when I was in town (Coffs). Have rellies in town so we get down their every now and again. Someone in Nana Glen has a lizard in a bottle of formalin from about 30 years ago so I have seen one. It was displayed at the schools centenary.

Will take you up on the offer of a ride

Thanks

Alan

mirpet
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby mirpet » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi,

Just a quick report on an enjoyable afternoon spent with Greg & Donna and a couple of old basket cases last Sunday... no, not Ray & Trevin... but the RL250 & TY250.

This was my first time on a trials bike for more years than I care to remember (well OK, about 30) so it was great to be made feel very welcome and to be given the chance to try a couple of bikes. Despite being very rusty, and not wanting to damage anyone elses bike... even if they are basket cases, I ended up having a top afternoon and shaking off a few cobwebs.

As well as having a chance to ride a trials bike again (even the TY is HEAPS lighter than my Triumph Sprint) it was fun to look at Greg's collection... including the VERY SCHMICK Sherco and have a yarn about the pros and cons of old v. new, Jap v. Euro and work v. play.

So for anyone who gets an invite from Greg to "come for a ride"... grab it. I know I'll be back... but hopefully on my own bike next time... now where are all those ads for used Shercos?????

Cheers,
Pete

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Postby Greg Harding » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am

Hi everyone,

Pete, yes it was a good ride and I am glad you enjoyed it! I always do, great to see new faces wearing the trials smile which seems to be contagious! How is the search going for a bike, have you found one yet ? There always seems to be a selection to choose from. If you are having trouble deciding or finding what you want, come and ride some more of mine!

Woodie, I read your wanted post about TY250A throttle assembly and knew that I had some,so I have posted a photo of my TY250 collection. Sorry about the delay and I know you have sorted one, my tankstand collapsed taking out my hotwater service, pump, plumbing and the shed which housed it all in one foul swoop! Luckily no one was hurt, but my trials missions got put on hold! Personally, I don`t use the original throttles, preferring ones that have the cable parallel to the bars. However, I do understand people doing factory standard restorations want their bikes to be concourse. I am more about riding than restoring and function always wins. As you can see with the photos of my loan bikes posted here, scratches and dints add to the character! Anyway, if anyone needs a throttle assembly or parts in general, I am happy to swap for any parts listed in my wanted list or any parts which don`t make the grade on your good restoration! Talk to me, as I always have a bike needing bits to get to a riding stage, and I am not particular which make or model.
Attachments
IMGP3226.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases TY Challenge

Postby Greg Harding » Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 am

Hi everyone,

The countdown to theTY Challenge draws ever closer and I am keen to have another go at the Perpetual trophy! What an excellent idea to have manufacturer specific trials! Good on Don and the team at MTCQ for making this come to fruitition. I have been undecided since last year (the inaugral event) as to which bike to ride this year. One of the problems of having a choice. Yes David, if you want to organise a collection of A models, I will ride the yellow submarine (so named after I gave it a christening downstream from our waterfall, only the clutch lever left exposed!)
I am sure there is plenty of people to add to your list, Stu for one without even thinking about it.

Apparently this year`s event is not a Queensland series round, which is great news as last year it was. Which meant some people who had TY`s would be risking a place in the championship! Plus day licences are available so all the YAMFANS can dust off the cobwebs & come & have some fun!

Last year I rode a TY175JC in Veterans (C grade line) and I am posting some photos here. Since then quite a few people have ridden the JC as it is now one of my loan bikes! A $400 special purchased locally just before the event.

Anyway, hopefully a full field of TY`s of all models this year, can`t wait!
Attachments
IMGP2666.JPG
IMGP2664 - Copy.JPG
IMGP2661.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri May 07, 2010 9:44 am

Yes that would be great Greg to have you riding the Yellow Sub at the TY Challenge.
From the photo it looks like the humble TY250 A model was underrepresented last year. Lets hope we can turn that around.
I'm doing some stuff to mine to get it more presentable (ie less derelict) the latest being a front wheel rebuild. If things get serious I might even put on some flexible tyres.
Hey Josh those TY250As you were talking about, are they for go or show?

relax, nothing is under control

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Postby Greg Harding » Fri May 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Underrepresented? Must be true as there wasn`t any, which is a shame, really am hoping for a much bigger turn out of all models this year! We lined the bikes up from oldest to newest for the ploto shoot inside the TY ONLY section of parc ferme.

David, don`t worry about flexible tyres, you wont need them! In fact if you like, I can bring them up to pressure for you!

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases Mothers Day ride

Postby Greg Harding » Mon May 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

Mother's Day ride, complete with 2 mothers!
Left to right, Donna and Erica, Col, Cameron, Brendan, Kent and Sam. Great to see some more new faces and all local, it seems the cat is out of the bag that riding trials bikes is fun! Three Sherco's and mine was still in the shed, everyone is smiling as they know what I was doing behind the camera???
Attachments
Mothers Day.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”