Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

bigal
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: ty175

Re: Basket Cases

Postby bigal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Greg

I think you have me confused with someone else. Yes I lived in Nana Glen for about 10 years. The property with the bamboo out the front on the left hand side 2 kms south of school on Grafton Road was our place about 10 years ago. Was also involved with the bush fire brigade in Nana Glen. Now living in Brisbane.
I have only one bike - a ty175. Loved riding the local fire trails.

Alan

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases modified KT footpegs

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Alan, you are right, my mistake, when I read Bigal, I was thinking of BigAl who is in NZ and replied on the previous page. Suppose I need to be case sensitive, anyway hello to both of you.

Dirt Tracker, how is the hunt for Sherpa T parts coming along, are you going to paint the frame as well?

Chippy, your KT250 footpegs are ready, the flash has made the black paint look incomplete! Let us know if you want them before the Bucca Trial?

Ray, your TY250L footpegs are ready as well, and I am on to the nameplate next, have posted some photos below.

David, how did you like watching Naturally Free after all those years? We get it out on when there is nothing interesting on TV, always good for a laugh!
Attachments
IMGP3687.JPG
IMGP3685.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for the DVD Greg. It turned up in today's post and I'm very keen to see it again but the kid's school dance was on tonight.
I also found out today that I've bought another basket case. Haven't even seen it yet but will post photos when I get some.
Hey Andrew does this footpeg upgrade mean you might be riding the KT at Conondale? We could be KT twins if we plan it right.

relax, nothing is under control

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 pm

David Lahey wrote:Thanks for the DVD Greg. It turned up in today's post and I'm very keen to see it again but the kid's school dance was on tonight.
I also found out today that I've bought another basket case. Haven't even seen it yet but will post photos when I get some.
Hey Andrew does this footpeg upgrade mean you might be riding the KT at Conondale? We could be KT twins if we plan it right.

Ooh what you get this time Dave?

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:34 am

Greg,
how many more tracks do you have near you? I know of Sherco hillclimb and I'll give that a go, but i'm still no A grader yet!

Feet up, as always!

Dirt Tracker
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: coffs harbour

Postby Dirt Tracker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi Greg,havent done much searching for parts as yet,I have taken the motor out of the frame & yes it will require paint to freshen it up.So next will be a complete tear down for prep to paint & start restoration.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Greg Harding wrote:David, how did you like watching Naturally Free after all those years? We get it out on when there is nothing interesting on TV, always good for a laugh!

Man that was fantastic. I just watched Naturally Free up to when Jenny Johnson appears then kid stuff intervened. My memory had let me down badly. Until now I had thought that the dude who featured on the on the 325 Sherpa T was Steve Johnson. Oh well.
Magic to watch those old bikes and not just all the old trials bikes, the old MX bikes also brought back very fond memories. What about those guys racing dirt track for 6 hours on that track at Nepean raceway that chopped up like an MX track. It looked like the winner was on an XL350!!!!!
Based on the latest models of the bikes seen I'm thinking the Aussie bits were filmed in late 1973 and early 1974. I'm still trying to work out what bike Dave Pinkerton was riding when he was doing the demo riding at that showground with fireworks and floodlighting. It did look like a Bultaco trials bike but with extreme bling (for the era). Maybe that was filmed just before he started on Yamaha.
I saw Peter Paice looking very young before the start of the trial they filmed Dave Pinkerton at. Peter was in his orange Yamaha riding suit so that is another clue for it being late 1973 early 1974. Whay surprised me though was that Dave's enclosed trailer had his Yamaha sponsor as Annand & Thompson. I though they were the Queensland Distributor and McCulloch was the NSW Distributor?? I'm sure someone will straighten me out on this.
Anyway Greg and Donna, thanks again for the DVD and I hope to see the rest of it tomorrow night.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Reinald wrote:
David Lahey wrote:I also found out today that I've bought another basket case. Haven't even seen it yet but will post photos when I get some.

Ooh what you get this time Dave?

err its a Sherpa T 250 with a slimline type tank and a blown motor but don't have any more details. It will be a few weeks till it gets here and I guess it will be a bit of a surprise to see it!!!!

chippy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby chippy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 am

Hi all,

Greg firstly thanks for doing the KT footpegs. Some may remember a basket case photo of the KT some time ago. I will post photos of it shortly. David yes KT twins - now thats an idea! Yes I am trying to get the KT sorted to ride Conondale.

Greg as I am bringing the TL125 (Special!!) down to ride Bucca, I might need some "Greg Harding magic" on those footpegs also. We are bringing Brock's TY80 down also which do need some footpeg work also.

Are you still going for a ride at your place prior to the Bucca Trial?? If so I am really looking forward to it. Not sure if the TL will get up Sherco hill though. I had trouble (didnt get up) last time I was there. I think that was with Peter Curtis too and he didnt make it up.

Jamie, how is the KT motor's coming along? I am chasing seals, gaskets, seals piston/rings as we speak.

See you all soon.

Andrew

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 pm

I've just watched the rest of Naturally Free and have now worked out that the stunt bike that Dave Pinkerton is riding is not a blinged Bultaco. It looks like a TY250 with a smaller diameter front wheel but it is so hard to see the bike under all that bling it could even be be a dressed up DT2! What a great movie! I reckon there are more funny stacks than in On Any Sunday and seeing those early 1970s bikes all looking so good is fantastic.
Earlier today I also got excited when Andrew Carpenter sent me some great photos from last month's TY Challenge trial near Brisbane taken by Andrew's wife Leesa Hannam.
Attachments
IMG_9606.JPG
Greg Harding TY250A
IMG_9595.JPG
Andrew Carpenter TY175JE?
IMG_9588.JPG
Greg Harding TY250A
IMG_9587.JPG
David Lahey TY250A

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”