Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases TY 175 seat photos

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

Stu, as requested, here are some photos of the seat off my TY175JE which is the most original example I have. Leech infested hills sounds interesting, we have some of them as well!
Attachments
IMGP4054.JPG
IMGP4053.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Stu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 am

thanks greg, that will be helpful.

Feet up, as always!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Another resurrected twinshock

This one was rescued by owner David McDonald of Gladstone from a life on the farm - dairy farm actually. It was used from new until recently as on-farm transport at a dairy farm in North Queensland.

David carefully cleaned off the 35 years worth of encrusted cow poo and did some tidying up. The bike had its competition debut at last weekend's RTC Inc trial at Bob's Creek and went very well. David has done nothing to the internals of the motor and it runs like a swiss watch. He can't have been totally confident though because he brought another one of his twinshock bikes along as a spare - just in case.

David won twinshock class at the trial on this TL and it was a pleasure to watch it being ridden so well
Attachments
P4030024.JPG
David McDonald 1975 TL250 Bob's Creek 3 April 2011

relax, nothing is under control

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases TL 250 Resurection

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

David and David, Great to see a TL250 resurected and used in competition in the light of day and not parked in the dark on a hide and no ride deal. Both of mine get ridden regularly and I think they have the best build quality of the Japanese 250`s of that era. The forks don`t use spacers and are progressive with long springs. Rear suspension has the longest swingarm and geometry which allows you to simply bolt on longer shocks to make it steer better. The motor has more power than a TLR 250 which makes them a great hillclimbing bike. Oh Yeah, there`s enough mass to generate traction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases RL 250 top end freshen up

Postby Greg Harding » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Back riding the RL loan bike after lending it out a few more times and decided to do something about reducing some rattles. First I lifted the head off old blue dunger RL and felt the piston clearance at TDC, awfully loose. So then I pushed the piston down with little force and it fell away from my thumb, right down and back to the top again,mmm not good. Think this is not a good donor, next!

On the next parts bike, lifted the head off and was pleasantly surprised to find little wear and resistence when I pushed the piston down. Couldn`t see the markings on top of the piston for carbon, but one of the barrel nuts was upside down which told me it had been apart before. After removing the piston, couldn`t feel any play in the big end and the mains feel pretty good. Checked the ring end gap and they are worn, but inside the wear limit. So with some luck, this will give some more ride time. Mud and Tar supplied me a base gasket for $14.00 delivered. Thanks to Steve for the use of bead blast cabinet, measuring skills and advice. Now its on the first oversize and rode it today, always impresses me with how easy it starts. As to the rattles, I think they are worse than before, perhaps this is because I am listening too intently and not wearing a helment. Anyway, the test will be when I ride it this weekend with a helment and focus on something else!
Attachments
IMGP4093.JPG

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Tfos1
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: RL250

Postby Tfos1 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi everyone,

Greg invited me to join in, so here I am.

I'm a Coffs rider in his 50s. I like to ride all kinds of bikes and events, and I'm generally considered to be a fairly crap rider. I do enjoy myself, though!

I currently have a raging woody over an RL250 I bought from Ebay. I have no knowledge at all of trials, and I'm as lacking in competence in that discipline as I am in all the other disciplines. I'm keen, but!

So, here's the RL, and I hope to chat with youse all from time to time, and maybe meet up at an event or two.

IMG_1240Small.jpg

TF

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Postby Greg Harding » Wed May 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

TF, bike looks good and ready to ride, you are always welcome to come riding with us and compare notes on bike setup. My way of thinking is that you have the most important asset in keenness, all of the other things will fall into place!

May your raging woody be "'R"eally "L"ong!

ReaL fun can be had riding a ReLiable, ReLatively colectable eveR Lasting tRiaLs machine.

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Greg Harding wrote:May your raging woody be "'R"eally "L"ong!

ReaL fun can be had riding a ReLiable, ReLatively colectable eveR Lasting tRiaLs machine.

RofL

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Thankyou Greg I have always wondered what the RL in RL250 stood for.
The other Japanese trials bikes had names that anyone could work out what they stood for, but Suzuki, no way. It had to wait 38 years for the code to be broken (in Coffs Harbour, Australia, of all places!)
Of course in hindsight the Jap trials bike with the longest wheelbase just had to be called the Really Long 250.
Those 1970s Japanese motorbike marketers were so clever hey

relax, nothing is under control

Tfos1
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: RL250

Postby Tfos1 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Really Long, huh?

I have to blush and admit I don't qualify there, either.

I scored three genuine rear sprockets from E-bay for under $100. Woo-hoo!

I sooked out on trying to find a genuine muffler and ordered one from B&J in the US. The bike is over-geared to blazes at the moment (14/43 with a 520 chain). I'll be able to swap back to a 428 chain and gear it heaps lower. Right now it's pretty much first gear or transport speeds.

I love this bike, though. I'm busting to ride the thing.

TF

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”