Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

David, it's a 1974 RL250 Suzuki colour scheme?

Feet up, as always!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes Stu you have got it, but the standard RL scheme was orange where my colour scheme has yellow. I wanted to do orange but couldn't get an orange rear Ty175 guard so I made it to look like Mark Reed's RL250 which had yellow where the orange should go.
Yes BOGWHEEL that TT500 does look very similar in the colours. I hadn't thought of that.
Stu are you sure I didn't spill the beans with you at the Denman 2 day last weekend about that colour scheme?

relax, nothing is under control

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases shrinking TY fuel caps

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

Stu, something tells me you used some secret weapon release fluid (more commonly known as alcohol) on David at Denman, he does get excited talking about bikes!

Below is a photo of some TY fuelcaps, cap which fits inside is the same as the top one with the separate seal. The bigger one is the same as bottom right. Does anyone know why or what causes this?
Attachments
IMGP4208.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm not sure Greg but the one that shrunk on me was one that was in a tank that had no fuel for a few years. I haven't had one shrink while there was petrol in close proximity. I tried soaking the shrunken one for ages in a bottle in petrol but it never grew back to full size!
One basket case TY250B I bought many years ago had a hand-made replica of the original cap made from solid black plastic even with the serrations hand cut. It is quite a work of art. There were lots of hand-made parts on that bike - very inventive. Another interesting variation was that the swingarm pivoted on a steel inner tube that was held in place with a 1/2" whitworth bolt at each end instead of the usual through-bolt. Another was the rebushed rear brake backing plate that was a bit tight on the axle so that it was quite an ordeal each time I had to take the axle out.
Another thing while we are on trivia about TY fuelcaps is that the TY250A cap is different to all the others. The later ones have a recessed sealing washer. I only know about this because the bloke at my local Yamaha shop gave me an ear bashing after they bought me in a cap for my TY175B. When I was asking them to order me one in, I said - "don't worry Cyril, you can use the TY250A parts fische, those TY fuel caps are all the same" Didin't he give me a hard time about that one - turns out he is quite pedantic about those sort of things.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Hi Everyone,

Stu, something tells me you used some secret weapon release fluid (more commonly known as alcohol) on David at Denman, he does get excited talking about bikes!

Those NSW blokes have a way of getting secret Queenslander type info out of me, as you would know being a NSWer yourself Greg. As for Stu, he is also a master at that sort of thing. I can't wait till he starts posting his photos and videos. Stu rode the whole trial with a camera fixed to the bars of his TY250A so he is sure to have got lots of embarrassing footage of everyone floundering around on those wet mossy rocks at Sandy Hollow. The only time we were safe from being filmed was if his bike was idling, because the camera shook too much from engine vibration to get a decent image.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 am

Hey Greg

Last christmas I was flushing out a TY250A tank which had been sitting for 6 months full of mollassis to cure any rust.

I had the tank upside down draining for a few weeks, then was faced with the task of flushing out remaining residue.

SO .......... a pair of heavy leather gloves and an unending supply of boiling water.

I put a defunct tap on the bottom, threw boiling water in and the fuel cap on then shook like buggery for a few minutes.

Throw the solution out, attend to the beer on the fence post and then repeat the procedure.

You get the picture.

Took perhaps 20 - 25 cycles and all was clean.

So all was good. I installed a good tap and threw the tank on the bike and pottered around on it for the few minutes that the beers part of the whole operation would permit.

The next morning however, the fuel cap had shrunk in exactly the same manner as your photograph depicts. The thread would not bind at all.

So your guess is mine, but that cap never recovered.

Alastair

0409 603 880

bigal
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: ty175

Postby bigal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:21 pm

The smaller ones are made to accept a helicoil :lol:

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Greg, Team Yamaha shared quite alot of info at Denman, WITHOUT incahol. It was a great weekend, and i'm booked in next year already!
David, those secrets are safe with me..hehehe

Feet up, as always!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm so proud of how well this latest TY175 tank paint job turned out I just had to show it off. Scorps told me how to do the pin stripe using paint instead of a stick-on stripe and this is the third TY175 tank I've done using that technique and is the one I am most happy with.
For any professional spraypainters looking at this, don't worry, I know it is far from perfect. I'm just happy that it looks a lot better than the ones I have done before.
Attachments
P1010237.JPG

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Here is a photo from part way through the painting
Attachments