Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases TL125 and TL125 sprocket covers

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

David, the DVD turned up today and Jorja was very happy to swap it for a bone!

Peter, we had a great weekend riding the SQTA 2 day at Benoble and both of us were impressed with your TL125. Donna learnt to ride on her TL125 which still comes out occasionally. Thankyou for helping her walk some sections and your advice. As discussed, I may be able to help you with a sprocket cover, below is a photo of both types. Do you or anyone know someone who does sandcasting? Either or both could be used as a plug, if anyone else wants one, maybe get a batch made?

Had some time to work on the Bultaco, the tyres were so hard I had to cut them off. Does anyone know if red tubes and Pirelli MT08 were standard fitment?
Attachments
IMGP4444.JPG
TL125 sprocket covers
IMGP4439.JPG
M49 red tubes and front tyre

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Pgately
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR250 1985
Club: Peter Gately

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Pgately » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks Greg I will look into sand casting options. It was a pleasure to help Donna while you were misplaced and riding at SQTA events is always great day out.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Sand cast TL125 sprocket covers are being made here in the UK. Unfortunately though the person making them seems to have used an OE cover as a core for the casting, which means the finished covers are too small due to no allowance being made for shrinkage (1.5%).

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases TY 175 aluminum seat base

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

David, quite enjoyed watching the old bikes in the DVD, a couple of older Bultaco / Montesa fans have borrowed it already! Has not been over Brownies way yet, he is next on the list. Do you think the trial only had four sections or is that just the way it is portrayed by the movie makers? Around the campfire at a trial recently, I was informed that trials used to be twice as long as they are nowadays, might be a case of the older I get, the better I was syndrome?

Peter and FM350, if we find someone to sandcast some chainguards, we will need to build up original and fill the mounting holes. That way we will allow for shrinkage and finishing the surface and drill the holes later.

One of the things that I was unhappy with on my TY Challenge bike due to last minute preparation was the seat. Decided to make my own and save some weight at the same time, this is my first attempt and shaping foam is easier than I first thought. Fabricated the base in one piece of aluminium incorporating the mounting legs, shaped and riveted the curved piece in place which stiffened it a lot. Then shaped the high density foam with a grinder, the rest was finished by an upholsterer.
Attachments
IMGP4448.JPG
IMGP4450.JPG
IMGP4547.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Top notch seat mate - lighter than standard and very comfortable. I expect that you would have no trouble selling them should you want to make some more. I also like the neat brackets to suit Gonelli rear guards.

On the subject of TY175s I've just got the jetting perfect on my TY175 borrow bike with the DT175E/AG175/TY175 motor and am now ready to do a frame swap with a nice TY175B frame. Photos when it looks photogenic. The thing I like about that bike is that you can row up and down through the gears on a trail ride with no gaps in the ratios and it has a lovely shift action (the gearbox is DT175).

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

About that DVD, I reckon Brownie will flip when he sees those M49s in action

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:02 am

Talking of the TY175, does the Yam Blaster ATV motor fit the TY frame, and if so has anyone tried this?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am

I just had my first look at some Yamaha Blaster photos today. The motor sure does look a lot like the last model DT175 motor. The piston for the Blaster is one of the ones that can be used for making big-bore TY175 motors. One thing though in Australia there is a defined era for Twinshock trials bikes and it ends at 1987 so using a (2002) Blaster motor may cause a few headaches if there is ever eligibility scrutineering for Twinshock trials bikes.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:23 am

Hey Greg

Good looking seat. Would you please let us know where to source the high density foam.

Alastair Farquhar
0409 603 880

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I also looked into the Blaster motor some time back, but the differences I could see that would require a fair bit of modification would be to the entire bottom end. They had a pull start on off the left crankcase and different flywheel. The top end from a '83 model that had some improvement to the bottom end in an article I found and saved some where I cant find at the moment. These trikes are now rare beasts, and only seen a couple come up over the last couple of years for sale, asking price too much to part out just for a top end. DT175E/F/H/I bits are so much easier to find.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”