Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:55 pm

PaulN wrote:G'day Greg, my (somewhat shorter!) list is as follows:

Current riders
1xRL250
1xTY175

Basket cases
2xRL250
1xTY175

I'm looking to build another current rider out of my two RL 250 basket cases, but my problem is that I only have one tank, which looks to be in quite good condition, but has a fuel leak. I've tried tank sealer to no avail, so I'll be looking for a tank that doesn't leak before I go any further with that idea. I'm not one who would ever try to weld a fuel tank! I'm also currently looking to get my basket case TY175 running as well - my main problem with that has been pitted front forks, but I may have solved that, so it could be full steam ahead with that project. I don't tend to build concourse restorations - just something that will pass scrutineering! I'm at the NSW Central Coast...

Cheers

Paul

Hi Everyone,

Paul N, SUZUKI RL 250 x 3, I am very impressed, TY175's are fairly common by comparison! Mechanically good is important, concourse restorations lack character and patina, just my opinion of course!

Kombivan, the easiest way is to fill the tank with water and rotate the tank so weld area is just above the water level.

Just sharing my latest acquisition and my favourite TV show for some time now.
300px-AmericanPickers2[1].jpg
300px-AmericanPickers2[1].jpg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
For around 20 years now, I have known about these :montesas as they have been siting in a shipping container pretty much unused.
IMGP7803.JPG
IMGP7803.JPG (215.61 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

There is even a GREEN MACHINE! A 172 and it is the most complete and supposed to run, kickstarter gear issues.
IMGP7809.JPG
IMGP7809.JPG (221.2 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

The second RED 172 is fairly complete and kickstarter mechanism works fine!
IMGP7815.JPG
IMGP7815.JPG (166.51 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

The third is a 247 and looks fairly complete for a Basket Case
IMGP7811.JPG
IMGP7811.JPG (174.33 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

Over the years I have bought a fair few Basket Cases, however this is the first time I have bought a set, or a complete family if you like!

Suppose this is a bundle, wonder if that makes me a

[[[[[ -----{{{{{ -----((((( <<<<< BUNDLE MANIAC? >>>>>))))) -----}}}}} -----]]]]]

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 pm

No not a maniac........just a sucker for old girls

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Greg what are you buying imitation trials bikes for? I know this post will upset heaps of people but I don`t care. Remember the old trials sayings. Out of control like a wet Montesa. And, how do you pee a Montesa rider right off. Walk past his bike at machinery and say water. He/ she will instantly have no brakes all day. See that is their reputation. Have you heard what bike won the Twinshock class up at Esk on the weekend. Yep a Bultaco SherpaT! So all is right and correct in the world again. Graham. :wink:

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 pm

good to see those Montys out in the sun. Isn't it great to see bikes looking like someone just parked them so long ago and forgot about them.
I especially love the odd things people do to them to keep bikes going, or to make them more suitable for whatever they are wanting at the time. Wheels from something else, exhaust made from vacuum cleaner pipes and chicken wire, shockies that have been re-oiled by drilling a hole and then welding the hole over again, fuel tanks from lawnmowers, massive frame extensions to hold up equally massive carry racks, handlebars off 1950s british road bikes and bicycles, rub pads for chains made from 3/8" steel plate welded on, frame gussets made from flattened steel water pipe, seat foam held on with 1/2" bolts and huge square washers (right where you sit), swingarms twisted miles out of square, bullet holes in gearbox casings, forks full of water, motors disassembled completely and mixed up thoroughly with chook poo in tomato buckets, stand mounts broken off - I could go on all night - yes loving your Monty stuff Greg, and please tell us what you find when you have a good look

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Bully fanatic wrote:Greg what are you buying imitation trials bikes for? I know this post will upset heaps of people but I don`t care. Remember the old trials sayings. Out of control like a wet Montesa. And, how do you pee a Montesa rider right off. Walk past his bike at machinery and say water. He/ she will instantly have no brakes all day. See that is their reputation. Have you heard what bike won the Twinshock class up at Esk on the weekend. Yep a Bultaco SherpaT! So all is right and correct in the world again. Graham. :wink:

sounds like you want another Montesa vs Bultaco challenge at a trial Graham

relax, nothing is under control

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Postby Kombivan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 am

Bully fanatic wrote:Greg what are you buying imitation trials bikes for? I know this post will upset heaps of people but I don`t care. Remember the old trials sayings. Out of control like a wet Montesa. And, how do you pee a Montesa rider right off. Walk past his bike at machinery and say water. He/ she will instantly have no brakes all day. See that is their reputation. Have you heard what bike won the Twinshock class up at Esk on the weekend. Yep a Bultaco SherpaT! So all is right and correct in the world again. Graham. :wink:

Everybody knows the engineers that built Bultacos worked for Montesa first before they left the Mother company and went out on their own. The thing is they left before the big improvements Montesa made and were left behind like ancient dinasaurs when you consider the number of Bullys to montesa bout 10 to 1 its only reasonable that they get a place sometime. I have owned both thats why I'm going with Montesa's now. I have never had a problem with wet brakes I only rode my bike once under water up to the tank for 3 kilometers during a flood in 1974/5 will a bully do that. I did have plenty of the secret ingredient in the appropriate places.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Postby Kombivan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:29 am

what are you going to do with that red /grey one in the middle. I could also use a headlight. :?:

Brigalow
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa,beta,DR

Re: Basket Cases Att Greg Harding

Postby Brigalow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:43 am

G,day Greg, I have a similar collection of Montesa basket cases, 247's with a 172 hiding amonst them. The 172 dosen't look to be a too hard one although has the usual kickstart shaft bent up like a dogs hind leg issues. Any chance you may wanna swap ? Brett 07 41710775

Brigalow
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa,beta,DR

Postby Brigalow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

Kombivan wrote:what are you going to do with that red /grey one in the middle. I could also use a headlight. :?:

G,day Kombivan, I may have a headlight in reasonable cond, exc for some rust & missing paint, it has the steel grille lens protector although that has taken a beating, give me a week or so to locate it & check I have enough others to go around & I'll get back to you.

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

You facetious wag Graham! Sounds like you want a Monty!

Greg, that's a great find. Do I detect a Cappra front wheel on the 247?

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”