Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases Decompressors

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am

Hi Everyone,
Beautiful work Darren, it tucks in so much better!
Bully fanatic wrote:That looks good Darren. I would say you have found it revs a bit quicker now too. A shorter header pipe has that effect. Graham. :mrgreen:

Graham, When you think about it, the standard :italjet: pipe is a lot of exhaust for less than 240cc!
David Lahey wrote:Can't wait to hear the farting noise Greg, although you have tucked it away fairly neatly there so it might not be that noisy for onlookers. Mark Casswell will be impressed that you also have a working decompressor.

David, perhaps you are thinking of the handlebar lever type decompressor that makes a farting noise when you pull the lever with the motor Running?
This chainsaw type is a click down before kicking and closes automatically when it fires. The orifice is quite small and you can hear compressing leaking in one quick burst. Like I imagine a fart coming from one of these:
1456863235507.jpg
1456863235507.jpg (135.43 KiB) Viewed 14341 times

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

billy
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: muchos motos

Re: Basket Cases - Conondale 2016

Postby billy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Suggestion for theme for Twinshock Masters at Conondale 2016

Basket Cases

Bring your completed projects - ride them or display them

and bring a "before" photo. Baskets and silverware optional.

Old trials riders never die ......... their rocks just get smaller.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases - Conondale 2016

Postby Greg Harding » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
billy wrote:Suggestion for theme for Twinshock Masters at Conondale 2016

Basket Cases

Bring your completed projects - ride them or display them

and bring a "before" photo. Baskets and silverware optional.

Billy, when we last discussed a theme for 2016, it seemed that with Honda, Bultaco, :kawasaki , ITALIAN BIKES, :ossa and :suzuki all having their turn and considering we were alternating from Japanese and Spanish that :montesa :montesa :montesa would be the obvious choice?

Now that I think about it, your suggestion is excellent but perhaps we should wait and see if there are any other suggestions before we put it to a Vote?
Just my opinion: Baskets and silverware should be ESSENTIAL !

What do you Think !

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Rod » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:32 pm

I've got a Cota 350 which I hope to have restored before the Twin Shock Masters at the end of the year regardless of whether it's a Montesa theme or not. Doesn't matter really, just bring along your favourite twinshock ride.
Below is a pic of the Cota before I bought it, when I arrived in NSW to pick it up, the 1st thing I noticed was the front down tubes were bent,the exhaust burn marks on the back of the front fender were a dead give-away, I still payed the agreed price as it wasn't over the top and ole mate Ian genuinely didn't know himself as he had not ridden it since he bought it several years previously. I think it has fallen from a trailer or end for ended down a big hill,the rims are akront and aren't too bad so it's a mystery as to what has happened,also someone prior to Ian has drilled holes in everything, just check out the bash plate and gear lever, doesn't matter as it's my project now.
Anyhow, I've since had the downtubes straightened, the fork tubes straightened, the swingarm straightened and still have not attempted to fire it up until I strip at least the top end. It may not look like a basket case from the photo, but it's damn close.
My COTA 350.JPG
My COTA 350.JPG (244.85 KiB) Viewed 13518 times

I want it to look close to this when I'm finished, and run just as well.
montesa1983cota350.jpg
montesa1983cota350.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 13518 times

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases ITALJET Kickstarter

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
Bully fanatic wrote:Greg, you will find it is a lot easier to find dodo poo and rocking horse poo than it is finding an new or an old Italjet kickstarter. The early aluminium Gas Gas kickstarts fit very well, last longer and are much lighter. Steve Goode in sunny England has them. Graham. :roll:

Graham, sorry about delayed response here as I wanted to test my modification. Now that I have had a good ride, I want to share what I have learnt.
:italjet: kickstarter problems as I see them are a little complex. Firstly the shaft protrudes where your foot needs to be and as already discussed 16mm diameter is a little small for 330cc. This is exasperated by the factory machined clearance for the pinchbolt:
1457424333629.jpg
1457424333629.jpg (7.95 KiB) Viewed 12762 times

The 2 Scotties were on to this many years ago and had a batch machined without the groove, they ground a recess for the pinchbolt with an angle grinder maximizing strength. This spline is still used on KTM SX 50 and TM 85, but both of these kickstarters are unsuitable for a :italjet: , the latter one is nicely made, aluminium and long enough but is not a pinchbolt type. With the oversize groove, I am not going to drill and tap the end of the shaft and weaken it more for retaining purposes. So back to where I started with a broken knuckle with a good spline, after checking all the possibilities at our local wrecker, I decided to invert (yes backwards) the knuckle to get away from the standard setup of arm pivoting on one side and stopping on the other side of slot which must make it work loose. This lever (on left) was lonely in the box marked Euro but no one knew what it was off (anyone Know?)
1457422677573.jpg
1457422677573.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 12762 times

$30.00 including a pivot piece got me a longer arm that swings closer to the motor, I cut down the pivot piece and tigwelded it to the :italjet: knuckle. The advantages are about a 40 mm longer arm that swings closer to the motor which in turn reduces the bending action on the shaft.
1457422725357.jpg
1457422725357.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 12762 times

Now to explain why I wanted it to be longer and swing closer to the motor:
With a short kickstarter, the stroke finishes quite quick leaving nowhere to go at the bottom of the stroke, this is fine on modern bikes that have the stroke terminating on the foot peg but not a good idea without a positive stop. When the kickstarter is bent to clear the footpeg, it exaggerates the bending force at the bottom of the stroke with obvious results.
This is not to say that the early :gasgas kickstarter is not a good option, Mr Stout's one works Beautifully!
Here is the new setup:
1457422568249.jpg
1457422568249.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 12762 times
1457434702256.jpg
1457434702256.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 12762 times

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:56 pm

That does look good Greg but I have to ask does it clear the footpeg and the brake pedal. That is what kills them and the shaft. The kickstart hitting the footpeg and the rear brake lever. An easy way to solve that problem is to ziptie a piece if thick wire onto the frame to hold the footpeg up when you kickstart the bike. It works very well. Graham. :mrgreen:

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well pointed out Graham, yes I only ever start it with the foot peg folded up held by device in the 2nd last photo. When I broke the :italjet: one, you could see it had been cracked more than half way through (rusty), so it was always going to break. So it will break easy being 40 mm longer if someone kicks it with the foot peg down. The brake pedal acts as a stop but I can't feel it because it has already travelled more than 180 degrees. The other thing I forgot about saying is the modified knuckle has a 15 mm diameter pin, :italjet: one was 12 mm.

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Regarding that early GG alloy kickstart lever that fits the Italjet, can anyone supply a part # please.

eagle
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:30 pm

IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2229.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
IMG_2228.jpg
IMG_2228.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
IMG_2225.jpg
Here is my Honda TLR 250 so far, i've got a small fibreglass tank to install yet
IMG_2225.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 10985 times

picktas
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ossa
Club: TMTC

Postby picktas » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 pm

They seek him here.....they seek him there
Is Greg Harding the scarlet pimpernel?
He was last seen in Tas - at the well known 2 Day Tas Titles...

Will he have another title at the ends of Sunday, the competition is fearce.
He's on a Fantic, not his own.......
Will he be an honorary Tassie Devil on Sunday ???

Regards
Picktas

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”