Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Mark K » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:44 am

Jools wrote: ....... but I just want to check that the mounts should be 99mm or 100mm apart. Anyone got a bare frame they could confirm? ........
First let me start off by saying that I'm neither an engineer nor a frame fabricator, but I couldn't help noticing that you have a motor there with the appropriate bit to go between the mountings apparently in perfectly good condition. Wouldn't it make perfect sense to position the mount just a fraction wider than the width of the motor so that the motor will go into position easily but then when you do up the bolt it will pinch in and hold it perfectly, completely regardless of what the figure might actually be.

And let me be the first to say it- that's the sort of answer you get from an expert: "ex" is an unknown quantity, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Spoke Stress

Postby Mark K » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 am

Greg Harding wrote: ......So now for an update: .........Here is the final result of my mission and yes I have learnt Something! ......
The picture explains so much - you have long spokes, medium spokes, short spokes, are there any two spokes the same size? Could you have possibly found a less easy project?

Greg, it is so pleasing to see you are back on the straight and narrow pathway again. Has it occurred to you to avoid all that fancy stainless steel and weird modern stuff, and perhaps try some decent hardwood spokes? They may also be better matched to your newest rubber band powered project.

Will it be ready for a ceremonial unveiling in early November?

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
Jools wrote:First is the rear upper engine mount, pic shows top right one has broken off, I'll fabricate another one and weld it on, but I just want to check that the mounts should be 99mm or 100mm apart. Anyone got a bare frame they could confirm?
-Jools

Jools, have you checked all of the Parts? I have a similar TY 250 that came in unassembled condition and the broken piece of frame was on the engine mount bolt. The easiest way to repair the frame is what Mark K described, just bolt the motor in and weld the mount on, when the weld cools it will open up clearance between the mounts.
If all else fails, grab a bulbous metal object with a long (plasticky) thing sticking out of it and persuade it to where you want it.
Mark K wrote: Could you have possibly found a less easy project?
Greg, it is so pleasing to see you are back on the straight and narrow pathway again. Has it occurred to you to avoid all that fancy stainless steel and weird modern stuff, and perhaps try some decent hardwood spokes? They may also be better matched to your newest rubber band powered project.

Mark, I was wondering the same thing about it not being easy.
Hardwood Spokes, now your talking, I only found out recently that the very first motorcycle was made just over 100 years before the cut off date for Post Classic:
1508323217512.jpg
1508323217512.jpg (95.17 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
1508323183176.jpg
1508323183176.jpg (132.65 KiB) Viewed 7442 times

Love the training wheels which were probably essential considering no one had ridden a motorbike when it was Made!
Mark K wrote: Will it be ready for a ceremonial unveiling in early November?

Good question, I don't have an answer at this point in time.

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

2017 Twinshock Masters at Conondale

Postby David Lahey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 am

Have we settled on a theme for this year's TS Masters? I can't remember and it's only a couple of weeks to go now :?:

relax, nothing is under control

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:40 pm

I thought there was a theme for this year but I`m like you David and I can`t remember what it was. I know what I`ll be riding though and I know what two other people will be riding. Some strange Spanish brand that I just happen to own three of. :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :lol:

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Bully fanatic wrote:I thought there was a theme for this year but I`m like you David and I can`t remember what it was. I know what I`ll be riding though and I know what two other people will be riding. Some strange Spanish brand that I just happen to own three of. :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :lol:

Somehow after your posting Graham I've got a Wiggles song "Hot potato" stuck in my head (Potato, Potato, Potato)

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Re: Basket Cases - Conondale 2017

Postby Greg Harding » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:Have we settled on a theme for this year's TS Masters? I can't remember and it's only a couple of weeks to go now :?:

David, I have been waiting for someone to suggest something and then I remembered this:
billy wrote:Suggestion for theme for Twinshock Masters at Conondale 2016

Basket Cases

Bring your completed projects - ride them or display them

and bring a "before" photo. Baskets and silverware optional.

Excellent idea Billy, you have my vote and when I think about it my Conondale bike fits that theme! The Baskets and silverware should be Essential!
Graham, your latest :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :Bultaco: fits that theme as well and who could forget that when we had Spanish :Bultaco: :Bultaco: :Bultaco: theme, Australia's number 1 :Bultaco: fan had to work and missed Out!
1508664083767.jpg
1508664083767.jpg (355.38 KiB) Viewed 5961 times

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Mark K » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Of course, not everyone got their pride and joy as a basket of bits, and notwithstanding the fact that I'm sure there are those that think the owner of mine is a basket case, may I also suggest that for those who didn't get theirs as a basket case, then perhaps: "Something old (obviously), with something new, with something borrowed, and with something blue."

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 am

Mark K wrote:Of course, not everyone got their pride and joy as a basket of bits, and notwithstanding the fact that I'm sure there are those that think the owner of mine is a basket case, may I also suggest that for those who didn't get theirs as a basket case, then perhaps: "Something old (obviously), with something new, with something borrowed, and with something blue."

Thankyou Mark. As usual you have been an inspiration.
My grey matter processed your idea for a while and then last night, unexpectedly, out popped a perfect way to fit with both your suggestion, as well as the basket-of-bits concept. All that is needed is a bit of workshop time :)

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles

Conondale Bike

Postby Greg Harding » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

David Lahey wrote:
Mark K wrote:Of course, not everyone got their pride and joy as a basket of bits, and notwithstanding the fact that I'm sure there are those that think the owner of mine is a basket case, may I also suggest that for those who didn't get theirs as a basket case, then perhaps: "Something old (obviously), with something new, with something borrowed, and with something blue."

Thankyou Mark. As usual you have been an inspiration.
My grey matter processed your idea for a while and then last night, unexpectedly, out popped a perfect way to fit with both your suggestion, as well as the basket-of-bits concept. All that is needed is a bit of workshop time :)

Basket of bits or before photos = tick
Silverware = tick,
Something old = tick,
Something new = tick,
Something borrowed = tick, thank you Donna,
Something Blue = tick, goes without Saying!
So I am almost ready, just a few finishing tweaks.
Here is a photo of my Conondale Bike:
1509190768106.jpg
Sealy Lookout Coffs Harbour
1509190768106.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”