Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Jon V8 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:06 am

I don't remember them, but here is what they looked like new,(Ish) apparently 40 odd years ago.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVON-NEW-GRI ... 2429831431
They old Avon tyres factory is still going,now Cooper tyres about 10 miles from me on the bank of the river Avon. We did a guided tour of the factory about 30 years ago with my local young farmers group,it was an interesting trip - I very much doubt Health and Safety would allow the kind of close up visit we had back then...

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Jon V8 wrote:I don't remember them, but here is what they looked like new,(Ish) apparently 40 odd years ago.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVON-NEW-GRI ... 2429831431
They old Avon tyres factory is still going,now Cooper tyres about 10 miles from me on the bank of the river Avon. We did a guided tour of the factory about 30 years ago with my local young farmers group,it was an interesting trip - I very much doubt Health and Safety would allow the kind of close up visit we had back then...

So do Coopers make motorbike tyres or just the 4WD tyres we get here?

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

having a "brake" between christmas and new year

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I usually do this job on a friend's lathe that is much bigger, but he suggested a way I might be able to do it on my 3 1/2" swing MYFORD, and it worked (just).
This hub is the original front hub from the TY175 I bought as a teenager in 1976. I reckon it has done about 10,000 km and the outer edge of the brake surface was worn to a bigger diameter than the inner part, and there were a few grooves. I tried new EBC linings, which seem to grip pretty well normally, but the brakes were still not as good as I like.
First step was to send a set of old Yamaha shoes off to Brisbane to have super-grippy 5mm thick linings fitted.
Next step was to machine the drum so it was a true cylinder again.
IMAG5254[1].jpg
IMAG5254[1].jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 6201 times

Next step was to machine the linings down to match the diameter of the drum.
IMAG5253[1].jpg
IMAG5253[1].jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6201 times

The final step is to re-spoke the wheel and I haven't done that yet.
Doing it this way is quite labour-intensive compared with grinding the drum with the wheel still assembled, but until I think it is worth making a special rig to do it that way, this will do me.
The backing plate I used here is from a mid 1970s YZ125, chosen because a TY backing plate has an arm that sticks out too far to use in a tiny lathe, and they both use the same pattern brake shoes

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Sherco Qld wrote:Talking about Basket Cases,here's a RL250 for sale is S.A.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-RL250-TRI ... 7C294%3A50

Do you mean 'here's a link to all the RL bits on ebay'?
(I'm confused!)

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

I like the look of what you have done on your Myford David. I still have a problem hub on the front of my M199B which I might be able to do the same thing with. :D

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Bully fanatic wrote:I like the look of what you have done on your Myford David. I still have a problem hub on the front of my M199B which I might be able to do the same thing with. :D

The early Sherpa T Alpina Lobito (parallel) front hub also fits in my lathe and I did one of them as well in the same session as the TY hub. I haven't tried the later front hub like yours yet. I did measure a KT front hub and it will just fit (next job).
On my lathe, the tailstock is only just long enough to reach the bearing, so I have to use the compound slide to make the cuts, so for me it's very important make sure I have the compound slide set perfectly parallel with the spindle so that the brake drum surface ends up "untapered"

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 pm

That is the problem with mine now. The brake shoes wear on a slope with the narrow part of the shoes on the outside of the backing plate. I use EBC shoes which I find great to use. I see what you mean though.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 am

David Lahey wrote:
Jon V8 wrote:I don't remember them, but here is what they looked like new,(Ish) apparently 40 odd years ago.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVON-NEW-GRI ... 2429831431

Looks like they still do bike tyres,but the Avon Mudplugger that I remember being launched back when I was at school is no longer made.I think it was even on local TV news when they came out,I certainly remember reading about them in Motorcycle News.(My school library had it every week) Looks like road and race tyres are their main interest now for bikes.
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic- ... motorcycle

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 am

Jon V8 wrote:
David Lahey wrote:

Looks like they still do bike tyres,but the Avon Mudplugger that I remember being launched back when I was at school is no longer made.I think it was even on local TV news when they came out,I certainly remember reading about them in Motorcycle News.(My school library had it every week) Looks like road and race tyres are their main interest now for bikes.
http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic- ... motorcycle

I remember when that Avon trials tyre came out and seeing them in use and am thinking it was late 1970s. The other expensive (and very good) trials rear tyre at the time where I lived was the Dunlop.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 am

I remember all the fuss about the Mudplugger,but its got me thinking about what I used. It was November 1985 when I rode my first trial on my silver engined 250 Beamish. Could have done with the grip of the IRC's we use now.(And the experience I've gained in the following years) Think it my have been a well worn and very hard Pirelli :roll:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”