Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Twisted Frame

Postby David Lahey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Hi Everyone,

David, love your work as always, what are you doing to celebrate your tyres 50th Birthday? Most don't last anywhere near that long,
my :Bultaco: M49 had Red tubes!

All of my years as a Sheet metal Worker bending and straightening Steel, Stainless Steel and Aluminum leads me to believe that you need to go past the desired amount to allow for flex. After a while, you develop a feel for when a material yields and how much you need extra for the desired angle but maybe I am doing it Wrong?

Or backwards if you Like?

No Greg you live in the real world. Your way of fixing motorbikes is the real thing. TV shows are just that, a show. You aren't the only one who cringes at mis-representations of reality in shows like that on TV.

As for the red tubes, I hope you kept them. Maybe they are even still be in use??

I bought a whole front wheel from the US recently and was a bit disappointed that the tyre had been de-pressurised (probably for safety) because I had been hoping to let some USA air out at this end in some weird kind of ceremony.

This week a trials riding friend was clearing out unwanted stuff and gave me some old trials tyres and a couple of them are quite interesting so I plan to post up some photos soon.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Re: Basket Cases

Postby David Lahey » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Frame swap day
Attachments
TY250 frames.jpg
TY250 frames.jpg (932.85 KiB) Viewed 4930 times

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 am

David, can you post a close up and give details of those footrest ? And I can't see if the swing arm is from the same model

Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Guy53 wrote:David, can you post a close up and give details of those footrest ? And I can't see if the swing arm is from the same model

Guy

The frame is a B model TY250 that I lowered the footpegs on about 12 years ago and then later stole the running gear from to build the Peter Paice Replica TY250 with the raised motor.
You have the eyes of an eagle, Guy. The swingarm is from the D model TY250 that I stole the running gear from to use in the Godden Majesty frame. I used the D model swingarm because it had a good stand mount on it.
Two of the photos below were taken years ago, not long after I made the footpeg mounts. The pegs are Hebo cast steel and the mounts are home-made. The peg mount is 5mm plate.
The close-up photo I took today. The M10 x 1.25 countersunk head screws I plan to use haven't arrived yet.
I'm still deciding whether to lower the brake pedal tip or not because adjusting the lever down using the adjusting screw to get the tip level with the footpeg means that the lever doesn't have much travel before it hits the right-hand-rear bashplate mount.
Attachments
IMAG5360.jpg
IMAG5360.jpg (930.78 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
21 Mar 2008 download 040.jpg
21 Mar 2008 download 040.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 4870 times
21 Mar 2008 download 039.jpg
21 Mar 2008 download 039.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 4870 times

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 pm

I filed a '' notch '' in my brake pedal so I could level it. I ride a lot more than I do comp. and my footrest are lower and further back than yours so it was uncomfortable. I never ad any problem.

Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Vapour blasting

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Not a basket case but a cable-reel case.
A trials-riding friend is working on a TY250 and he had some parts cleaned up by our local vapour blaster at Beecher (near Gladstone).
It all looked so nice I couldn't resist posting up a photo
Attachments
received_916205081894752.jpeg
received_916205081894752.jpeg (719.27 KiB) Viewed 5976 times

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Vapor blasting is very nice David. I have had a couple of bits done. I did find it won`t cut through heavy paint which is a shame. I had to sand blast those. One thing I liked is the very fine finish it leaves. Much nicer than sand or bead blasting. Your TY bits almost look nice now! =D>

Phil 850
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Phil 850 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:32 pm

I've seen the results of soda blasting on alloy parts which leaves a great finish, but what is vapour blasting.

Phil

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Prior to the vapour blast, the parts are (dry) bead blasted. The bloke who does the vapour blasting says it is much quicker (cheaper) overall that way.
Vapour blast is blasting with a mixture of water, air and fine glass beads. The combination of the three things creates a surface finish which is smoother than by dry media blasting, so it looks like a satin finish. If you looked at something that had been dry media blasted using strong magnification, you would see that the surface is quite rough. Because the vapour blasting leaves it relatively smooth, there is much less surface area exposed for corrosion to occur on. This is why the bare vapour blasted finish lasts longer than a bare dry blasted finish on light metals before it goes white. It also does not hold dirt on the surface as much as dry blasting.
Another thing I like about the vapour blasting (compared with polishing) is that it leaves the surface looking the same everywhere. I have done lots of polished alloy bike parts and it is almost impossible to get the same polished finish all over when there are nooks and crannies everywhere. I've found for many Japanese castings like my friend's crankcase halves in the photo, it looks a lot like the original finish. Unfortunately it would look quite different to standard on early Bultacos because of the high polish used on their casings, hubs and forks. I'm doing an early Bultaco at the moment and the only bits I had vapour blasted were the cylinder head and the cast inlet tube.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

axle spacers

Postby David Lahey » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

"Every little bit helps" said the little boy as he peed into the ocean

The smaller diameter axle spacer was made from the twistgrip section of a set of broken trials handlebars
Attachments
IMAG5415.jpg
IMAG5415.jpg (844.09 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
IMAG5414.jpg
IMAG5414.jpg (821.34 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”